It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you do not allow us to raise the debt ceiling you will not get your SS check says Obama

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Is the Tea Party out there in these discussions? No. Stop laying the blame there. Also, if you read the article, it is if the agreement is not reached on the 17th the SS checks will stop. Worry about next month...

They need to find common ground and NO one is budging so they are ALL to blame.

The money that sends out SS and DI checks is dried up. This is the fear I think of the government. I do not care what laws are on the books as they are not following them now. See my point at all?

They are crooks...all of them...and they are caught. You can only give away free money for so long until someone asks for some back.

link   
reply to post by Sestias

Is the Tea Party out there in these discussions? No. Stop laying the blame there. Also, if you read the article, it is if the agreement is not reached on the 17th the SS checks will stop. Worry about next month...

The money that sends out SS and DI checks is dried up. This is the fear I think of the government. I do not care what laws are on the books as they are not following them now. See my point at all?

They are crooks...all of them...and they are caught. You can only give away free money for so long until someone asks for some back.

link   
reply to post by Sestias

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

wow...just wow...

when you spin like that, and quote out of context like that, you can make it sound like i said pretty much anything..

it's a lie of omission....had the federal government not "borrowed" all of the money out of the social security fund, the debt ceiling would have no impact on their ability to send out checks...

it's threats, and scare tactics, to try and rally the old people into harassing their congressional reps, so obama can get his way...it's manipulation, and political theater...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

openminded2011

grey580
reply to post by matafuchs

Is it me or did Obama just threaten the largest section of registered voters in the USA?

IS HE STUPID?

Don't answer that.

Is it me or are the republicans basically saying, "If you dont let us repeal healthcare, we will shut the govt down, and quite possibly let the country default"??

Let me ask you a question, if that happens, who will make out better, the billionaires or the paycheck to paycheck worker?

After you answer that question, who is threatening who?

and you're oversimplifying....

they don't wanna repeal healthcare.....they want to defund, or disable a program that is bad for the people.

i've said before, i'm not affiliated with any political party, so i have no skin in the game.....i just want what's best for the people...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

So taking your statement - I am getting the benefits, who cares if someone else has to pay for it.

There is a pattern here, the ones saying YOU ARE PROTESTING TOO MUCH are the ones getting the benefits of another man's money. Sorry that people are pissed about paying for people they don't know.

edit on 5-10-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

ok, so if obamacare is so wonderful, why are people flipping out about how much more expensive it is than what they currently have? if it's so wonderful, why were government employees exempted from having to buy it? if it's so great, why did they make it a mandatory purchase? if it's the greatest thing since jesus h christ, then why isn't it optional? why is there a fine for not participating?

it's not a good program, it's not free stuff, and it's not really gonna help anyone....

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

OpenMindedRealist
reply to post by AlienScience

Marg, thanks for doing the leg work on Alien's Freely Available Information request.

If we hit the debt ceiling, the only responsible course of action will be to reduce our obscene levels of spending. If Social Security payments end up being withheld, it will only be because the President went out of his way to make it so. There is literally a world of spending cuts that can be made outside of SS or other vital needs.

This is reality. It is composed of many facts twisted together.
edit on 5-10-2013 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

If we hit the debt ceiling, the nations first responsibility is to pay it's bills. SS checks are not considered "bills".

That is the reality of things.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Now you know very well as an informed and intelligent person that knows constitutional rights that congress can not deprive citizens from basic needs or they will be held in contempt, that is when the supreme court will step in and will spank all of them with constitutional law.

The SCOTUS can't force them to pay out what they don't have.

The first responsibility is to pay their bills, SS checks are not considered bills. If we don't pay our bills and default on them, then it doesn't matter if they send out SS checks or not because everything will collapse.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

AlienScience
reply to post by marg6043

Now you know very well as an informed and intelligent person that knows constitutional rights that congress can not deprive citizens from basic needs or they will be held in contempt, that is when the supreme court will step in and will spank all of them with constitutional law.

The SCOTUS can't force them to pay out what they don't have.

The first responsibility is to pay their bills, SS checks are not considered bills. If we don't pay our bills and default on them, then it doesn't matter if they send out SS checks or not because everything will collapse.

Social Security is a legal requirement and thus a bill as such. They have to pay it out, regardless if they have money or not. If they cant pay on time then SS liabilities accrue and must be paid whenever they can plus interest payments.

I am assuming you meant pay the bondholders of the national debt first. Yes this is also a legal requirement and thus a bill.

In other words priorities must be weighed and whatever funds are available shuffled around to make payments.

Maybe the IMF can help out although it would have strings attached before giving any help and proposing haircuts. But when we are talking trillions of dollars in toxic assets, I am not sure if they really can. Probably the entire global economy nosedives for an unprecendented depression!
edit on 5/10/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: minor corrections

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

To put things in perspective, in the first two days of fiscal 2013 (Oct. 1-Oct. 2, 2012), when there was not a "shutdown," the federal government spent $124.409 billion, collected $29.057 billion in taxes, paid out $2.542 billion in federal salaries---and sold $100.91 billion in new Treasury securities (or government debt).

cnsnews.com...

Hell, even with a shutdown their are borrowing like crazy.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

AlienScience

OpenMindedRealist

Marg, thanks for doing the leg work on Alien's Freely Available Information request.

If we hit the debt ceiling, the only responsible course of action will be to reduce our obscene levels of spending. If Social Security payments end up being withheld, it will only be because the President went out of his way to make it so. There is literally a world of spending cuts that can be made outside of SS or other vital needs.

If we hit the debt ceiling, the nations first responsibility is to pay it's bills. SS checks are not considered "bills".

According to this story, the UST will still be open and selling securities.

Thus still adding to the debt.

Thus still paying bills !!!!

Business and the Shutdown: Treasuries on Sale

On Tuesday, the Treasury Department is scheduled to sell $35 billion worth of four-week bills. A Treasury spokesperson said that auctions will continue to be held in the event of a shutdown.

Existing bondholders are also expected to receive any interest payments due during a government closure, as servicing the government debt is deemed as mandatory spending and, therefore, excluded from an annual budget or continuing resolution.

Though 80% of the Treasury employees would be sent home, those who handle interest payments on Treasury debt would be kept. An opinion issued by the Justice Department in 1995, when the last government shutdown took place, determined that the federal government would continue to pay those who handle Treasury interest payments, according to Steven Hess, lead U.S. sovereign credit analyst at Moody’s Investors Service.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Alien, your dogmatic obstinance is all that stands in the way of your enlightenment.

Go back and read marg's reply to your claim that SS payments are not required by law to be sent out. She has far more patience than I, and she spelled out it clearly and legally.

As to the Supreme Court, there are many ways by which a ruling could force SS checks to be sent out. They could simply require spending cuts from the plethora of unnecesary programs such as Obamaphones. But it will not even come to that.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

But SS is a self sustaining system remember? That money is taken out of our checks and put in a fund....right? Right?

LOL! Welcome to Hooterville! Er, Chicago style black mail! Blackmail them with what's already theirs!

By the way....does this mean the SS system is not really a contributor based affair and not subsidized by the government? LOL...OFLAO! A "social safety net" program being used as political leverage! Who would have thunk it!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

AlienScience

OpenMindedRealist

It is really time to get out the tar and feathers! Old school.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Daedalus

wow...just wow...

when you spin like that, and quote out of context like that, you can make it sound like i said pretty much anything..

Believe whatever makes you feel better. I guarantee you that you didn't even read HALF of what I wrote, couldn't take it.

it's a lie of omission

LMAO, There is no such thing, if we default, no money goes out, it's that simple really, no lie was told.

had the federal government not "borrowed" all of the money out of the social security fund, the debt ceiling would have no impact on their ability to send out checks.

You need to cite some sources, sir. Borrowed the money out of Social Security? There hasn't been money in Social Security to borrow since the 90's, hell it might have been the late 80's, the Elderly getting Social Security at this very moment are getting what I'm putting in to my Social Security, Social Security has been insolvent for quite some time, the whole Government has. But your assertion that a default is the best way out is mind boggling and just plain stupid.

it's threats, and scare tactics, to try and rally the old people into harassing their congressional reps, so obama can get his way...it's manipulation, and political theater...

Dude your logic makes no sense what so ever, this is hilarious. So when Obama said this:

"In a government shutdown, Social Security checks still go out on time. In an economic shutdown — if we don't raise the debt ceiling — they don't go out on time," Obama said. "In a government shutdown, disability benefits still arrive on time. In an economic shutdown, they don't."

According to you he was making a threat toward the largest voting block in America, and you say that it's not only a threat but it's a lie. What kind of sane person claims this? You are obviously so blinded by hate for the man that you can't even see reason 2 inches in front of your eyes. And a lie of omission you say? That's a new rabbit you've pulled out of your giant hat of tricks, there was no lie, there was nothing to lie about, and at this critical time I think it's very important to state the consequences of a default. You know someones lost it when they go this crazy over someone simply stating the truth

And by the way, if you want to know who's been stealing the countries wealth look toward the Banking Sector, the Federal Reserve, The Rothschilds, The Kissingers, and other banking families, it's a giant ponzi scheme. The Federal Reserve prints virtually free money, they loan it to the banks at say 1% or 2% interest, the banks then loan that money out anywhere from 3% to 80% interest and the rich keep getting richer, it's not that hard to understand, you can keep blaming Washington politicians (Very few are to blame though, but if you really want to know which ones then look at the wealth of each individual congressman and senator and also how much stock the have, the first one that comes to mind for me would be T. Boone Pickens) But, if you want to blame one person for every single thing that has happened over the past 90 years be my guest, because it doesn't affect me, but please don't spread your misinformed ignorance.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

the fact that SS can be used as a tool like this gives you all the stink you need to smell whats cooking.

In years to come the "Affordable Health Care Act' will also be the playground of blackmailers, tax hikers, and troff feeding swine hogs, large type.

Hay granny don't fall down in the hog pin lady!

SS is pilfered, the AHC pool will end up being a great source pilferation with the drooling at the mouth swine/man hybrids.

Here the cry from Washington like never before. SUWI! SUWI!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

I will have to agree with that, we never had a default on the debt before so we don't know how the law will apply but I am sure that is some laws that deals with this type of issues if a full debt default is to happen before the 17th the month.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

It would be if the government would stop borrowing from it. Where did you think the bailouts came from?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
There is a choice in the matter. the choice is to abandon Obamacare, and various other needless government programs, cut back on his expensive vacations (pay it out of pocket for once), and have the government involve itself less in wars like Syria for example.

There would be plenty of money left over for social security and other things. I think that Obama needs to get off his throne and make decisions to cut funding where there needs not to be funding in the first place. Get rid of the NSA, cut back on the TSA (let it be privately funded), and bring the troops back home where they are not needed.

Remember that social security does not only affect old people it affects the mentally and physically changed people. For him to say such an awful thing is like threatening the Americans that he needs more money for things that he wants and if he doesn't get it then he pretty much murders a lot of people that fits into those categories because they sure as hell won't be living long without social security.

I want to give a shout out to my home-boy Obama for being the world's biggest douche and undeserving of a peace prize. Thank yo obama for being a sleazy Chicago politician and effectively screwing one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Without your help we couldn't have become in an insane amount of unrecoverable debt. Thank you Obama and as NASA would say, godspeed!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join