It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare 101: a pretty good breakdown article of cost an links to compute cost of op-out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
www.csmonitor.com...

You can sign up for health coverage on an exchange anytime between now and March 1, 2014. Your coverage would begin Jan. 1, 2014, at the earliest. If you do not enroll in that window, you will not be able to get health coverage through the insurance exchange marketplace until the next annual enrollment period unless there are extenuating circumstances.

The penalties are not very high to begin with. In 2014, the fine to remain uninsured is $95 per person (up to a family maximum of $285, or 1 percent of family income, whichever is greater).But the penalty will increase more than sevenfold in the next two years, with the fine running as much as $695 per person by 2016. The family maximum would be as high as $2,085 (or 2.5 percent of family income, whichever is greater).

kff.org...

It depends, but as of now it is probably cheaper to pay the fine, provided you do not use any health-care services. You can calculate how much your health insurance premium would cost by using the Kaiser Family Foundation Subsidy Calculator, and then you can compare the cost to the penalty you would be assessed for having no insurance. The subsidy calculator takes into account your region, household income, employer coverage, number of family members, and tobacco use.

I ran a fake scenario using a smoking man at 64 and a woman of 33 non-smoking residing in Texas. The report or break down said:

Your out-of-pocket maximum for a Silver plan (not including the premium) can be no more than $12,700. Whether you reach this maximum level will depend on the amount of health care services you use. Currently, about one in four people use no health care services in any given year. You are guaranteed access to a Silver plan with an actuarial value of 70%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 70% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost

You can run the numbers for any state and age group... I can not validate the numbers that returned but I figure they are better than guess work.

The last statement of the article is proof were are not dealing with a bunch of dim wits who want your money.. Take your penalty out of your income tax refund... I suppose if the refund is not enough then your bank account is next? Wonder how much for fines, interest, and penalties will be added to the initial fine; IRS penalties and interest are usually a pretty big deal when one gets crossways with them......

You will be required to provide information regarding health insurance when you file your 2014 federal income taxes. For those who elect not to buy health coverage, the penalty will probably be assessed on the form or withdrawn from your tax refund.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

Gallup surveyed 5,099 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. The survey was conducted from September 17-26.

Statistics worsened in the important 18 to 29 age bracket. Sixty-nine percent of the youth demographic were unaware they were required to get health insurance by January 1, 2014. This is the age group that Obama is hoping will foot the bill for the rest of America.

newsbusters.org...

According to Congressman Jim Himes (D-Conn.), out of the 28,000 visitors to his state's exchange Tuesday, only 167 actually signed up:

So before media members have orgasms over the number of people visiting exchanges, maybe they should concern themselves with the number of people applying for insurance.

I also wondered how many out of the reported 2.8 million visitors actually signed up? No doubt the sign up statistics well improve as time gets closer to the pumpkin date.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I just got out of the shower, and read through all that... now I feel like I need to take another shower.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Well for me it came out to be about $160 a paycheck. That could pay for a lot of other things like gas, electric, heat...FOOD.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hey ya all, we really need to buy stock in Vasaline or KY. It should Skyrocket after the first of the year.

join