It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member of Congress waves her wages during shut down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I only stumbled upon this accidently.

I don't live in the US but I'd give her a little credit for this. However it somewhat seems like a bit of an empty gesture, especially if she took the picture of it herself. Which also leads to the question of is it real or not?

but either way it does point out some serious inequality issues with the system.

From what I have read on the situation the Government is shutting down due to 2 parties not being able to agree on a new budget for 2013/2014. Mainly because of one party using the budget to force changes to the obamacare act.

Now the government does not have a budget to pay what they call "non-essential" government employees. But this is going to leave hundreds of thousands of people in the financial sh!t. But all members of congress still get paid? seems unfair to me. you could cut the pay of 10 politicians and save 100 civilian jobs. The politicians can probably afford it...most civilians cant.

If this is real, Ann Wagner has done a good thing. Even if she is only doing it for the recognition.
edit on 2-10-2013 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Has someone photo-shopped the word 'don't' out from the beginning of the final line.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

khimbar
Has someone photo-shopped the word 'don't' out from the beginning of the final line.

ha quite possibly. she is a politician after all

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

Since she is a member of the House of Representatives, she might be extremely frustrated with them - they are causing a lot of these problems at the moment.

She probably wants her pay with-held because she knows that she is part of the only source of the government shutdown, which is the House, and she is probably trying to keep it from happening but unable to -

So basically, if anyone shouldn't get paid, it would be a House of Representatives member, by logical deduction.
edit on 2-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

All of the republicans should do this. Show solidarity and willingness to put their money in the action.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Shouldn't Mr. Dan Strodel not be at work today? Of all the non-essential personnel, I would have presumed the bean counters ought to be first to go.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Cheap publicity stunt.

Easy way to tell if this clown is serious.

Simply look at her voting record in regards to spending, the debt ceiling and pay increases.

Looks like she voted against the Bill that would have stopped the NSA.

Instead of a temporary pay freeze, lets give her a permanent vacation.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Apparently already on Wikileaks. Someone find out who added it. I bet someone in her campaign office did lol.

en.wikipedia.org...

Also reported on this local news outlet. check out the comments. They look to point out the fact that she is rich anyway.

www.ksdk.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

It makes no difference if they do this or not, as most of the members of congress are wealthy, so their salaries as public workers are nothing but pocket change.

Just like the CEOs that during the bailouts pledge to get paid only one dollar for salaries, is just another joke as they hold vast amount of wealth.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

yeah I agree. The fact there is a photo of it suggests there is an agenda behind it. but the main point is that while the average joe is losing his pay check...the suits and ties are still getting theirs. what ever happened to lead by example or practice what you preach?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

thats part of my point. they have had to shut down certain sectors of the government because there is no budget for them yet but instead of taking the pay checks from many people...they could take them from fewer politicians. you would be helping a lot more people and the politicians can afford it. After all they are the ones causing all this
edit on 2-10-2013 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
My $.02.

Bully good for them, offering to either have their wages withheld or donated to charity. Bully frakking good. But, considering what they earn, and the myriad cash streams the typical congressman or senator makes is legion, I don't see much good coming from it other than striking a pose as someone who can relate or cares.

Oh, I won't be working today, here's my $XXX.XXX.

Do you really think that if they *FELT* that in the pocket book, they'd do it?

Do you think if they had kids who needed you to hit the grocery store on the way home for milk and bread, which you couldn't swing if you didn't get that pay, they would? Hey, the Playstation 4 is almost out, are YOU ready to give that to your child who desperately wants it, bless their precious heart, as they simply don't understand the priorities or consequences of such a thing...

Do you honestly think it will cause them to lose one nights sleep?

I'm jaded, I know. I personally harbor no ill will towards the rich. I myself make a good income, and my family *wants & needs* for almost nothing at all. But, I am fortunate, I made my own luck. And not everyone has the opportunities presented to them which I grabbed for like it was a lifeboat. Not everyone has the drive. Or the basic skills. And truth be told, even with what I've just said about myself financially, times are tough. If I went a week without pay from work, it WOULD HURT my family. I know this for a fact. I try desperately to save and squirrel away cash, but at the end of the day, it only goes so far.

So, sure, go ahead. Be the martyr, the one who suffers on that gilded cross. Tell us constituents ALL ABOUT IT. Tell us about the hardships it will cause you and your family. Give up your "earned" wages.

Perhaps that latte will just have to wait.

And throw a penny down a well, while you're at it. I'm afraid that's about all the good it does. Anything along these lines is strictly symbolic, and as I've already said once in another thread, has the rancid stench of "Let them eat CAKE" wafting up into my senses.

- SN

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

darkbake

Since she is a member of the House of Representatives, she might be extremely frustrated with them - they are causing a lot of these problems at the moment.

She probably wants her pay with-held because she knows that she is part of the only source of the government shutdown, which is the House, and she is probably trying to keep it from happening but unable to -

So basically, if anyone shouldn't get paid, it would be a House of Representatives member, by logical deduction.

Whatever dude. The House sent up 4 bills to the Senate, that had bi-partisan support, and the Senate refused to vote or debate or negotiate. The Senate and the POTUS wanted a government shutdown. The question should be WHY?

top topics

join