It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a couple points about the government shutdown.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
So, the government shutdown includes the smithsonian, national parks and a handful of other things that a few Americans would like to see at the time? Seriously? I heard some of NASA was grounded, guess nobody would be around to laugh at another rock streaking in on Russia.

Are you serious? A government shutdown? Despite what Obama, congress or any other idiot spewing toxic propaganda has said, a government shutdown means next to absolutely nothing. The stock market closed higher than it did yesterday before the shutdown.

Ooooooooooooooooooowooowowowowowowowowoowowow, oh my goodness, the dozen Chinease tourists I seen on ABC today looked just bewildered that they couldn't take the elevator up to the statue of liberty and God forbid somebody can't see the "lucy" exhibit at the Smithsonian! Its all pretty horrible but you have to remember a couple things......

Yeah, they will cut off anything that has to do with the public, you know, the people that pay for EVERYTHING in the entire damn country but if somehow the idiots in Washington fail on a budget, there is still money to continue illegal spying on you, your friends and your family. There is still enough money to fund programs that are kept secret from the public because nobody would approve of them in the first place. There is still no tax on the fortune 500 companies like GE. There is still no cutting back on any federal funds that mean a damn thing outside of what it takes to "make it hurt" for average Americans.

The criminal government, their inept and tyrannical spending continues on without missing a beat. What did they shut down America? Did they shut down government programs breaking the law? Laws that violate the Constitution at the cost of BILLIONS of dollars a year that YOU AND I pay for? Or did they do away with things that make you think it's some kind of real crisis.

THis honestly should be the last straw. We really need to take this country back because as of now they think we are a bunch of mindless, inept morons and that Obama can come on tv and tell us how silly we are being and just miss the complete and total farce of what exactly is a government "shutdown".

Please, pick up a book, read a blog, educate yourself, this country is embarrassing.
edit on 1-10-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

They would sacrifice our children for their own political ends if they could. Oh wait, they have!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
We can't expect them to put themselves out now, can we?
They are cutting (and will continue to do so until the issue is resolved) things that put "the people" out. I believe this will be done on purpose. It will keep most Americans divided about who is at fault (republican/democrat) instead of having all of us come together and figure out that it is ALL of their fault and they aren't feeling the pinch at all.

A house divided can not stand... that is what they work to achieve and we have no issue giving it to them at every turn IMO.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It is all a dog and pony show for the masses, that is all it is. I would only take it seriously when the President leaves the White House because he can't pay the rent and when Congress closes down because they are not getting paid. When that happens ring me. Until then it is just entertainment!

P

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Yup. I remember being terrified as a teen in the 1990s when a "Government Shutdown" happened. I assumed Government Shutdown meant like, A SHUTDOWN. So I was afraid of things like: people not being able to enter or leave the country, mail not being delivered, and public services not being provided like fire and police. Luckily I have smart parents and my dad waved away my concerns and said "You won't even notice." And he was right.

Just like I'm not noticing this time.

I even asked the Postman today. He did the same waving hand motion and said "it doesn't affect us."

I'll play the world's smallest violin for the people who can't vacation in a park this week.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by Helious

They would sacrifice our children for their own political ends if they could. Oh wait, they have!

Your right, and there is still plenty enough government to taze you, shoot your dog if you fart in the wrong direction of the current political agenda. That hasn't "shut down".

Come to think about it, not even the National Parks really have because they still pay and employ all the security to guard them and even add on to keep them closed and people out, most likely at the same if not higher cost than just operating as normal. It's not about money, it's about them tricking the ignorant into thinking this is a real crisis.

The truth is, the government, at leas the federal government should be shut down, it should be shut down indefinitely until they find a way to justify their existence within the scope that the Constitution has given them. The problem is that the Constitution limited federal power and all of there time is spent on trying to circumvent that to usurp America's power before anyone can do anything about it.

It is a lawless, criminal federal government actively committing crimes, not imaginary ones that a partisan person would accuse but real crimes, against it's citizens and against it's own legitimacy through the Constitution, the document that grants it any power in the first place.

It's time to say no. It's time to say, no sir, no ma'am. This is not what America was founded to do and it is not what we will continue to do. It's time to say no.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

That's because they keep the things they feel are essential going. People like me, who work in non-excepted positions, are sent home, possibly without pay this time. I am strapped because I went back to school to become an engineer and am paying on a huge pile of debt so that I could be in this position. I can't keep this raft afloat if they don't pay us for any extended length of time.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Look, the only good thing about this I see is that people are actually talking about government and politics and having a brain and a say. For me, it is great! It's about time something in MSM news isn't about what part of Miley Cyrus's body showed today.

Ultimately, we ARE in a crisis in this country. At least the blind are awakening and wondering why.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
One last thing, before anyone whines about federal workers out of a couple weeks pay....... Your local postal carrier who sits on his oversized behind sorting mail at your local post office probably makes 25 dollars an hour or more and has the best benefits, 401k and retirement package the government can buy. Even though the postal service hemorrhages money at an inconceivable rate.

There will be back pay for almost all federal employees on "furlough". Don't let them trick you into some sort of misguided morality play.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

wtbengineer
reply to post by Ameilia

That's because they keep the things they feel are essential going. People like me, who work in non-excepted positions, are sent home, possibly without pay this time. I am strapped because I went back to school to become an engineer and am paying on a huge pile of debt so that I could be in this position. I can't keep this raft afloat if they don't pay us for any extended length of time.

Would you mind if I asked, and this is for my own curiosity only so please feel free to ignore...

Do you still get paid, by using your vacation time or sick time? Or do you just get NO PAYCHECK.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

the more I look into this the more it looks like a shakedown than a shutdown
and the government is engaging in soft-terrorism

edit on 2-10-2013 by Metaphysique because: added edit & comment

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I'd be concerned something major will happen and they have an excuse not to be manning the posts.
Might be time to restock the emergency kits.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
They should stop paying the representives first - that would bring those guys back on working together!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
'They' say we owe owe owe so off to work we go.
Consider :
Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution authorizes the US Government to create and issue interest free money.
To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;
Usury fees accumulate debt visavis bonds.

Would it be possible to issue actual Silver certificates as in E/O 11110...

the den of vipers have left the building...great...keep walking.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

No paycheck. We are not allowed to use any leave and anyone already on scheduled leave has their leave reverted so no one is paid. It is possible that we may be paid after the fact and in the past we were, but the talk is this time that there's a very good chance we won't.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Ameilia

wtbengineer
reply to post by Ameilia

Would you mind if I asked, and this is for my own curiosity only so please feel free to ignore...

Do you still get paid, by using your vacation time or sick time? Or do you just get NO PAYCHECK.

I'm with DeCA and we've been sent home without pay, all vacation/leave has been canceled, nobody has even told us if DFAS will be staffed enough that our checks covering the week before the shutdown are gonna be sent out. We're all just watching the news and waiting for a "be back in 24 hours" phone call.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

wtbengineer
reply to post by Ameilia

No paycheck. We are not allowed to use any leave -snip-

To clarify ... that includes sick leave. If you're lucky enough to be an excepted member of the civil service system, and you call-in sick, the time away is counted as furlough time ... and you don't get paid. This is how 'they' get you ... by simply changing the terms of their agreements by applying a 'rule' you didn't know existed, and more importantly, weren't expecting.

For all you people out there hating on government employees: Remember, they're testing out their new world order on us first. Watch carefully what happens so you can properly plan your futures.

America is going to a four-day work week so we can all go forth and pursue what makes us happy!!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

These types of posts really annoy the crap outta me. Should we all feel bad because you decided to not live within your means and now have a "pile of debt" you can't pay during the shut down??
Instead of trying to keep up with the Jones', perhaps you should have been SAVING. You know, that silly thing adults do just in case there's an emergency like...a Government shutdown.
I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for whiny people who decided to take out loans for things they can't afford with cash, and then cry when they can't pay for them.

Its people with that mindset that are causing the ruin of this country by actually thinking they're owed something for not being smart enough to SAVE MONEY.

Be advised, its not a personal attack, its just my opinion on things as I see them. I make $18k per year but I'm far better off than the Jones' because I have no debt and have managed to keep $10k under the matress for emergencies.

So much for college making peeps smarter, because the way I see it, my high school education seems to be just fine considering all you college goers/grads won't get any work after graduating anyway lol.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by imasheep

Hey I got work after graduating. And I still have a job after this thing is over. It just took a huge amount of money and effort to earn a degree and I incurred a lot of debt to get to this point. It is easy to look at my situation from the outside and say the things you are saying, but I had to make a choice, either do what I was doing and never make any more than about a fifth of what I make now or do what I did and work my butt off to get into a better career. I chose to do that and if not for the shutdown I would still be on course to pay everything off and be able to start saving. I don't know what your problem is, but you can keep it to yourself I don't want any of it.

Don't take it as a personal attack? But it is a personal attack. You remind me of my oldest son until he got married and had a kid. He had almost 100k in the bank before that and was always trying to give me advice. Not so any more. My guess is that you are young, have no dependents, and have no clue what it is like trying to be head of a household with other people whom you are responsible for.
edit on 10/4/2013 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

And whiny? You gotta be kidding. You sound more whiny than I do. The nerve of some people.
edit on 10/4/2013 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Typical passive-aggressive behaviour. I realize noone likes to be called out, but one fact still remains:

If you are soooo smart, and I'm young and naive, then how is it you are posting about your debt and I am not?? College is, and always has been, a complete scam. It gets young people so far in debt at such a young age that most will never claw their way out of it...which is why places like Pioneer Credit Recovery exist. Your posts prove this concept. You have been duped into thinking the American Dream is college, debt, house...more debt, 2.1 kids....yet more debt, and so on. You bought into the notion that He who dies with the most toys wins and life is better with more money. Now, you're finding out the hard way that money doesn't equal a better life.

So I ask you...who is the smart one here? The young person who doesn't buy things he can't afford and has no problems paying his bills...recession or not.

OR

The older person who piled on the responsibilities too early in life, had kids they couldn't afford, bills they can't pay, and mounting debt??

Sometimes, you old folk who claim to have all the answers to life, sure have a lot to learn about life and should listen to us youngins. Besides...its peeps like you who have caused this problem of mounting debt that is ruining this country. If you can't afford it with cash....you don't need it. I mean how stupid are people to buy something on credit and end up paying 18% more for it than if you had used cash??

Lol...yup....you sure are smarter than me for sure!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join