It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a couple points about the government shutdown.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by imasheep

And there goes the morning coffee all over the iPhone. Funny post but also very true. Sadly I have family members and close friends that have that bad financial behavior you described in your post.

They are in debt and now not working because the shutdown and the individual was working at a military base. Makes good money yet nothing saved and has all the latest electronics.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by imasheep

Yeah, typical passive-aggressive blah-blah. To argue this way is stupid and pointless. You know nothing about me and I know nothing about you. For either one of us to place the other in a stereotype would be unfair and most likely not very representative of reality.

First off, I never claimed to be smarter than anyone else here. And debt or freedom from such is not necessarily the biggest indicator of intellectual prowess. And you are the one that claimed to be smart, not me. I pretty much agree with you about college, it is really stupid that our society requires you to have a piece of paper that says you are educated in order for you to get a good job. But my prospects were nill and I had no other choice at the time. You see, sometimes we are thrust into situations not necessarily of our own making.
Not that many years ago I had a lot of money in the stock market, something like 500k, and I owned a house almost free and clear. Then just a few years later the economy crashed, I was going through a divorce, and none of these things were my choice or in my control.

And I don’t own the latest and greatest of anything. I don’t buy myself toys of any kind. It takes a lot of money just to keep things going and to help others out when they need it.

My point here is that life is not always something that we can control. I have been through a lot of different stages in my life, but I take offense to you calling me “old”. I am probably a lot older than you, but I work out and run and am in good shape. I married a woman 23 years younger than me and we have one little one and one on the way. I am in no way an “old person”. And I have done nothing to bring on the financial situation that our country is in. I always pay my bills on time and have an excellent credit rating. I take responsibility for everything I do.

I just want to say that if you are in the situation that you describe now then good for you, but don’t think that it will always be that way. Life can throw you a hell of a curve and in a blink of an eye things can change. I don’t know anything about you, but if you don’t own the place in which you live you could suddenly find yourself homeless. That can change your financial situation. Nothing is permanent.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Trubl

And you're talking about spitting coffee into your Iphone while criticizing people with all the latest electronics... nice.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join