It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A PAC for Atheists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

. Why now? I first heard talk of PACs like this some 20 years ago, but back then politicians would not want to be branded with the stigma of accepting money from “godless” Americans. However, to quote Bob Dylan, the times they are a changin.’
More than 20 percent of Americans now claim no religious identity, and the percentage is even higher among young people. Nonreligious Americans are one of the largest minorities in the United States, but you’d never know it because they have lacked political power. However, atheist and humanist communities are now better organized and more cooperative, and the new Freethought Equality Fund hopes to provide candidates who are good without a god the opportunity to make their voices heard.

Before issuing an endorsement, the Freethought Equality Fund PAC will question candidates about their personal and political views on issues where religious belief could influence public policy. Examples include teaching intelligent design in public schools, the use of public funds to support religiously affiliated organizations, and questions about gay rights and abortion rights.
Besides advocating a more secular government, the PAC hopes to dispel the bigoted notion that atheists are  “immoral” and lack values. When people see respected atheists and humanists serving in public office, these stereotypes will change.
As its assets grow, the Freethought Equality Fund PAC can be a substantial step forward. Though atheists and humanists don’t believe in an Almighty deity, we do believe in the almighty dollar. We’ve seen evidence of its power and influence in the political process, so it’s not beyond belief..
Link

This may become a game changer. Historically atheists haven't had a voice outside of the courtroom. Being labeled an atheist has been equivalent to political suicide there are still laws in place keeping atheists from even holding office in states. When it comes down to it though the only thing politicians care about is money so with this maybe they will start listening.

edit on 30-9-2013 by Grimpachi because: Link

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Isn't there a separation between church and state?????

Seriously, this kind of tribalism is a big part of the cause of all of our problems. Why does it matter whether you believe in A or B????? Seriously, tell me why? This Bullsnip of wanting to feel special is getting ridiculous!!!

It seems to be anymore that those whom don't belong to a team, don't have a voice anymore! I consider myself to be one of those!

I believe in the Constitution of the United States of America! PERIOD!!!! Thus my opinion doesn't matter I guess???

Edit: Do Athiests say "OH GOD" while their having sex??? Just wondering.........sigh
edit on 30-9-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Good for them. They still don't speak for me.
edit on 30-9-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Personally during sex it's usually a curse word.

Anyway even though there is supposed to be seperation between church and state there are groups fighting it or ignore it altogether the fact that in many places you can't hold office because of being an atheist proves that.

Especially when there are those like this. Republican lawmaker says he serves God, not his constituents

State Sen. Jason Rapert, the man behind Arkansas’ ban on abortion at twelve weeks, may have been elected to office to serve the 85,000 constituents in his district, but, he says, he only really serves God.

“It’s more important to do what is right by God,” Rapert told an audience at the Faith2Action banquet in Columbus, Ohio, “than it is to please those that would rather have me talk about pro-life but not really do much about pro-life.”

“There’s only one vote that matters and that’s when I stand before the Lord at the judgment seat,” he added, just in case it wasn’t clear. .

edit on 30-9-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)
Link
edit on 30-9-2013 by Grimpachi because: Link

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Grimpachi
in many places you can't hold office because of being an atheist proves that.

Just curious.

What places?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There go falsely, self described atheists, trying to make something out of atheism, which if I remind everybody is a lack of something to begin with.

I swear there's a religion brewing in the popular atheist movement. You see, if you start allowing a single 'belief' or set of 'beliefs' or set of 'non beliefs' ( which are just dressed up beliefs, pretending not to be) then you've already boxed yourself into an echo chamber.

Atheism has NOTHING to do with politics.

Atheism has NOTHING to do with who you are as a person.

Creating a political anything over a non thing is dumb IMO.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Because believing in A or B tends to promote values in support of whichever you choose. The less you acknowledge your potential to do something, the less of that potential you will use. The more you allow yourself to be satisfied by simple answers, the more simple your understanding becomes. And the more you give up for the comfort of safety, the less you will be inclined to risk your safety for what is necessary. These are the differences between A and B. Do you see now?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Wanna be a mayor? Judge? Do you live in Arkansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas? Are you an Atheist? Well, you cannot be if you live in any of the aforementioned states and you are an Atheist.

Acording to a 1960 ruling those laws are not in forcible yet they are still in place and i challenge anyone to find a atheist holding one of those positions.

. Arkansas, Article 19, Section 1:
No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

Maryland, Article 37:
That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.

Mississippi, Article 14, Section 265:
No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.

North Carolina, Article 6, Section 8
The following persons shall be disqualified for office: Any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.

South Carolina, Article 17, Section 4:
No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.

Tennessee, Article 9, Section 2:
No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Texas, Article 1, Section 4:
No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being..

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I don't think it's a matter of its being against the law, but a matter of popularity. See, it doesn't matter if it's legal or not - if the people don't like it, you're not getting in.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I edited check the above post.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

My post still stands.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

So do the laws.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Yes, but do the local officials really adhere to those laws? What I'm saying is, I'm pretty sure the citizens and their tastes in elected officials have more to do with the lack of atheists in office than those laws do. If they wanted to put an atheist into office, those laws wouldn't stop them.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Anyway even though there is supposed to be separation between church and state there are groups fighting it or ignore it altogether the fact that in many places you can't hold office because of being an atheist proves that.

So fighting a dick by being a dick is the answer???

Seriously, I have no ill feelings for someone whom is an atheist. That is their choice and their freedom! But why come at it the way the atheists are doing by trying to prosecute Christians versus trying to force our government to abide by the laws of the Constitution? How do Atheists feel about the extremist Muslims whom feel that those whom do not follow Allah deserve to die?????

This is the kind of sh$t that is destroying our country! Don't you see it? You wonder why our children are getting so F'd up???? Look at the fine examples us so called adults are conditioning them too.........wtf?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

While that MAY be true the laws still stand and out of all those states I don't know of one Atheist holding an elected position. The part about jury duty some like.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

How do you equate this with persecuting Christians?

No where in the article is it about persecuting religion let alone is it about Christians.

Seriously a group wants a political voice that isn't tied to religion and you cry fowl that Christians are being persecuted. The persecution complex.

Or did you actually mean prosecute? That would make less sense.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

badgerprints

Grimpachi
in many places you can't hold office because of being an atheist proves that.

Just curious.

What places?

There a several State level and Local level positions that are directed and guided by individual State Constitutions where such prohibitions still remain:

Arkansas
Maryland
Mississippi
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas

Now, if such "tests" and clauses are actually upheld is a different story. Though the State and the People thereof have every Right to establish such rules (right or wrong) as per the 9th and 10th Amendments of the United States of America Constitution.

I can already see what will be in response to the above, but pointing to Article VI, Clause 3 doesn't hold water in my opinion. That clause is related directly to the Federal Government and the Officers thereof, not the States and the People.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Which is why having a political voice to effect change at the state level is a good thing IMO.

Was that the answer you were expecting?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I for one welcome it, as it is their natural Right to assemble and voice their grievances...is that the answer you are looking for?

Points have already been made here that highlight what many people believe; you have a voice but you do not have the only voice. It may in some places be a minority and in others a majority.

I would suspect that there are far more atheist and deist in Government offices than you think.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

How do you equate this with persecuting Christians?

No where in the article is it about persecuting religion let alone is it about Christians.

Seriously a group wants a political voice that isn't tied to religion and you cry fowl that Christians are being persecuted. The persecution complex.

Or did you actually mean prosecute? That would make less sense.

Perhaps I misspelled prosecute? But is that all you got in relevance to my comparison to religious "PROSECUTION" versus the "SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE"???????

I guess to put it into a language that you might understand, "Why don't you go after the government whom is using one religion over another, OR a religion whom believes in "NOTHING" (you know, Atheists? Whom believe in nothing?).............................Atheists are not much more different than Muslims whom believe in "DEATH TO THE INFEDELS".........right? After all, you guys are special????

Fact remains that Atheists are nothing more than another tribe whom is jumping into the fray of political nonsense to make themselves feel MORE SPECIAL than anyone else, just because they are "DIFFERENT"?????

Answer me this???? "When the F#%$ is this kind of childish nonsense going to end?"!!!!!!!

But hey, no worries, I am not afraid of death! I actually welcome it! Because I will finally be free of the like of you and others whom feel that they are "SO SPECIAL, THAT EVERYONE ELSE DESERVES TO SUFFER!"

Good luck to you and your cause!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join