It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jellyfish Invasion Forces EON to Shut Down Swedish Nuclear Plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

EON SE shut down Sweden’s biggest nuclear power plant after a swarm of jellyfish made its way into a cooling water inlet at the reactor on the Baltic coast.

“This situation is caused by a huge amount of jellyfish, just one is definitely not enough to cause problems,” Oesterberg said from Oskarshamn, Sweden. “The last time this happened was in August 2005, when we had to shut down Oskarshamn-1 because of a jellyfish invasion.”

Jellyfish Invasion Forces EON to Shut Down Swedish Nuclear Plant

This story caught my eye, but what was even more surprising to me was the fact that this is not the first time this has happened even at this power plant, and when searching ATS to find out if someone had already posted this story, a search of "Jellyfish" + "Nuclear" came up with other power plants where this had happened.

Seriously? I get that tsunamis might be an issue for power plants, but I never thought that one of the things you'd have to design a nuclear plant to be able to cope with is marauding sea creatures.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The diverse powers of nature are not just limited to her elements of Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water. It seems that she can unleash various minions to reek havoc upon human-kind.

However it kind of makes me ponder the image of a nuclear cloud and how it too resembles the upright form of the Jellyfish.

join