It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my first telescope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

ecx.images-amazon.com...
this is something i wanted all my life but never seemed to get.
my funds are not large so i am limited to about 500.00 max.
i have been eyeing the Orion XT-8 Dobsonian scope.
any help on this would be greatly appreciated as i am definately a newby to scopes.
edit on 29-9-2013 by autopat51 because: none

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
the classic reflector V refractor V dobsonian..
any input from personal experience ?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Get this telescope as soon as you can .I own the xt 8.I've had it for over a year and its so good.All thats nessecary is some sky charts and some sky.
It came with a 25mm eyepeice and I bought a 9mm eyepeice and I get so stoked when I make time to use it.Soon a 7mm ,2inch eyepeice is in the works.
Get it...Great value with endless potential .But is is kinda large.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

xmootx
Get this telescope as soon as you can .I own the xt 8.I've had it for over a year and its so good.All thats nessecary is some sky charts and some sky.
It came with a 25mm eyepeice and I bought a 9mm eyepeice and I get so stoked when I make time to use it.Soon a 7mm ,2inch eyepeice is in the works.
Get it...Great value with endless potential .But is is kinda large.

hey thank you!! ive really been eye balling this scope! think im going to go for it.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
You are going to be amazed.
Congrats...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Nice scope that you will have for many years! Make sure you use it!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

if i can swing this..and buy it...
believe me i will be using it alot! hopefully i can attach my camera on it some how.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

autopat51

if i can swing this..and buy it...
believe me i will be using it alot! hopefully i can attach my camera on it some how.

Whoa...don't put the cart before the horse.
Dobsons are great for visual viewing but not as much for astrophotography because you have to track the object. They are a great starter scope usually inexpensive and easy to operate. If you have not bought one have you thought about joining an Astronomy Club first? They will often let you borrow a scope to get your feet wet.

Ask xmootx if they do any photography with it. I have a Celestron 5 goto I got years ago that I do my photos with great scope but it was also $800. You can get a 6" for around the same price. Best to learn what you want to do first. Good luck!
edit on 30-9-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

hmmm photography is part of what i want to do..
perhaps i am looking at the wrong type of scope?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

autopat51

hmmm photography is part of what i want to do..
perhaps i am looking at the wrong type of scope?

Have you have been with an Astronomy club? I spent one summer going to meetings once a week, they loaned me a scope and I learned how to use it. There is probably a local one around. Before you spend a couple hundred you might want to do this first. There are many types of scopes and you need to choose what is best for you. Try and find a club first, but if you can't do a little more reading and a little more research first, you will be glad you did.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

thank you for the advise..that is why i started this thread.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

autopat51

thank you for the advise..that is why i started this thread.

You are welcome! Let me know how it goes. And there are members on here more experienced than me if you need more help deciding.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I am starting out in astronomy too. I have myself a pair of decent binoculars www.amazon.co.uk...=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which are brilliant and an excellent introduction to the night sky. Except in the last month or so it has been very cloudy so I have not been able to get out and observe!
I would also recommend going to a Star Party which is great fun and you can also try out telescopes there.

Best of luck!

join