It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Tale of the Sevso Roman Treasure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The Sevso treasure is a hoard of late Roman silver artifacts wrapped in a story of mystery and intrigue , a story that involves forged export documents , bribery and suspected murder .
The hoard consists of 14 large exquisitely decorated silver vessels dated to the late fourth or early fifth century AD.

The origin of the hoard is a mystery with the governments of Yugoslavia, Hungary and the Lebanon laying claim to ownership of the objects although scientific examination of soil taken from some of the objects put the likely origin of the treasure in Hungary .

One thing that is not in doubt is the beauty and quality of the objects and the craftsmanship required to create such ornate objects ....

For in depth detail on the murky history of the hoard I post this Time Team special which is how I came to discover this story , it's a tale worthy of a novel

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I love stories like this! Thanks for posting!

Hey, I'm watching vid later but curious as to how much the treasure is estimated to be valued at?

S&F.

edit on 9/30/2013 by mcx1942 because: typo

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

The hoard is in a legal limbo at present and locked away in storage but a valuation of between £50-100 million has been put on it .

I think it's shameful that these pieces aren't on public display while the legal wrangling are on going but as far as I'm aware they remain locked away in a vault at Bonhams Auctioneers .

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
That was an interesting story, and well presented by the Time team, and i think there is no doubt it propably belong to the Hungarians.

But as they say locked up for ever to gather dust.

When that is said the craftmans ship of those artifacts are amazing.

Cool and thanks for showing me this

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Cool and thanks for showing me this

Glad you enjoyed it Mianeye , thanks for popping in

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
What fantastic objects, or rather, works of art, the original owner must have had really good taste, and the cistersies* to pay for them.
* Roman coinage, don't know if that is correct spelling.

top topics

join