It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists build nanotube computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is my first post I've done. And its from my phone, so don't be rough on me.
I did a search and found nothing on it.

Scientists from Stanford have created a carbon nanotube computer, albeit not a very powerful one. But it does lead to some very interesting possibilities in the future. It's only a one-bit computer with 178 traindicators. They still got a ways to go I think.

The Stanford team, led by professors Philip Wong and Subhasish Mitra, came up with a two-pronged solutin. First, they turned all of the properly functioning, semiconducting nanotubes “off” and then ran an electrical current through them. The current heated the remaining nanotubes until they fried in a puff of carbon dioxide, leaving only the properly functioning ones intact.

Carbon nanotube computer

]NY Times article

Thought this was really interesting. Technology sure has advanced a lot in the past year.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS and nice first post. This is an interesting field for sure and I hope people have some good stuff to add.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Just yesterday my six year old was asking me about computers...and what they'd be like in the future...

And I told her they'd likely be IN their arms (like a tattoo) and would probably have a holgraphic display....

And the funny part is...honestly....this *might* just happen by the time I'm a grandparent...it *is* on the horizon....

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

I think they will find a way to use the body's natural electrical signals to store energy to power something like a bio-computer. And I certainly hope I'm around long enough to see something like this happen.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gikari

Welcome, and interesting article! Thanks for posting. I wonder if this will help in the quest for quantum computers.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gikari

I've said before that I long ago envisioned computers which were just light glass tubes containing gas, or what looks like gas. This may be one of the results of this nanotube technology before it mutates into something else even more interesting.

new topics

top topics

join