It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange effect while holding an iPad...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Ok science and tech aficionados, let's see if we can't get to the bottom of this...

I am using an iPad at the moment, due to unforeseen issues with our internet connection at work. I am using our home network from upstairs, in order to interface with the web. Just now, while holding the iPad in one hand, I reached over to the counter, where my cup of tea is resting. As my hand passed over the meter rule that we have screwed to the edge of the counter, I noticed a tingling sensation in the edge of my palm, where the skin met the metal surface of the ruler.

I put down the iPad and repeated the motion, and there was no tingling. I hefted the iPad once again, and sure enough, there was a tingle again when I reached for my steaming beverage. The iPad is currently attached to its charging cable, plugged into an outlet on one of the columns which hold the counter aloft. The sensation only occurs when my hand moves across the metal, and not when my hand merely rests upon it.

So the question is, what's going on?

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Sounds like something's not grounded?

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

exactly this, and its the fault of your charger not having a earth pin most likley.

I doubt you are causing any damage to anything including yourself, just wasting a bit of charge power.

If you were to rest the ipad on that metal part instead and touch the ipad and it too, nothing would happen.
edit on 28-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Your iPad is obviously Haunted.
Please send it to me "care of Sealing @ATS"
I'll get that ghost out of there.
It may take a couple years.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Well, all our electrical outlets are up to code, and have to be in order for us to use our heavy cutting gear and key machines. If they weren't up to spec, several of us would have been thrown across the room by now!

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Usually appliances with metal casings have to be grounded (earthed).

Since mobile equipment does not have a constant supply from the grid they have no grounding, so when you charge them you can have leaks in the power supply that can get out of the device via your hands holding it.

If that charger was very high power and the device battery much larger, you might have a painful problem!

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Ah, now... That's exactly right. Also, if I grip the iPad close to the coupling between the iPad and the cable, the effect is stronger.

Well that mystery appears to have been solved! Thanks you guys!

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sealing

You could call your new company iBless

I expect a cut

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Maybe your IPad display is broken,I have a Iphone with a damaged display.I can press a courner of the IPhone and it sturts shaking,Like when hiting the button for mute sound.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tidnabnilims

I thought a good name might have been the 'iCon' corp.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Already in multiple use

The gold recovery one gave me a chuckle. hoped it might have been linked to a cash for gold thing
edit on 28-9-2013 by Tidnabnilims because: Just found it amusing out of context

edit on 28-9-2013 by Tidnabnilims because: unnecessary explanation

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Your charger brick has a leak from the AC side to the output. There's generally a class x or y cap from input to output on one of those types of switchers, if it leaks you can get tingling like that.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Them iphones been shocking folk, you hear?

All an Ipad is, is a larger Iphone.

Be careful sunny!

Whipper snappers these days not properly grounding their electrical devices....kicks gravel..

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Tidnabnilims
reply to post by sealing

You could call your new company iBless

I expect a cut

Brilliant !
.. alright you're in for half

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Sounds like your body is being used as a circuit to ground.

As stated above.....facepalm.

edit on 9/28/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Do a search this is happening everywhere, these things can kill.

Answering Plugged-In iPhone Blamed for Killing 23-Year-Old
The phone and charger were purchased at an Apple Store

investorplace.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I experienced this with my PowerBook when I went to Peru. When I had it plugged into the socket, it would do the same thing. Didn't happen when I came back to the states though. I believe it is some kind of grounding issue.
edit on 28-9-2013 by headcheck because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join