It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duo Video Card SLI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Hey guys, I have a question which I know some of you have more experience on than I. I currently have this installed in My PC that I built about 3 months ago www.geforce.com... its a GTX 660 2g video card, I purchased a new video card yesterday which is arriving today www.newegg.com... GTX 760 4g.

Now my question is would it be smart to run both of these video cards at the same time? If yes, would I notice a big difference in FPS when running both through SLI instead of just the GTX 760?

I've read up on this and couldn't really find the answer, this is my motherboard -www.asus.com...
and my processor - www.newegg.com...

Thank you all

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ^anubis^

You can't run two different video cards as SLI.
They have to be identical. Reason for that is when running SLI, the top half of the screen is ran by one card, and the bottom half ran by the other. If they aren't the same they won't work.
edit on 27-9-2013 by rangerdanger because: edit to add more info, so I sound like less of a dick.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

lol I figured, thanks anyway.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Just wanted to share this info with you.

SLI doesn't always give a performance benefit, in some extreme cases it can lower the frame rate due to the particulars of an application's coding. This is also true for ATI's CrossFire, as the problem is inherent in multi-GPU systems. This is often witnessed when running an application at low resolutions.

Stick with running the new GTX 760 by itself, that card has a memory bandwidth of 192.2 GB/sec so you'll still have great performance without any additional headaches.

You can always sell the old card on fleaBay or you could use it on another machine?
edit on 27-9-2013 by nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nucleardoom

Stick with running the new GTX 760 by itself, you'll still have great performance without any additional headaches.

This is your best advice. But I wouldn't sell the other card though I would use it as a physx processor.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Heck of a coincidence...but that new system I got last week has the Nvidia GTX 760 in it. 2g on mine, but ooooo....I'm in absolute love. I don't think you'll get any benefit from them both unless you just want bragging rights to higher frame rates than your eye can perceive anyway.

I've been playing Far Cry 3, Just Cause 2 and Dues Ex: HR on Ultra settings and across 3 monitors in the Nvidia Surround mode where it's supported. You are going to be in heaven if the 660 isn't already capable of it without issues. The 760 will be.

Gaming takes on a whole new quality at 5000+x resolution.

* What you CAN do? It just occurred to me....... The GTX 760 takes 3 monitors for the surround mode...but a 4th can run if an additional adapter is in the system. It can run something 100% separate and outside the game playing across the 3 slaved to the 760.

Oh.. OP.. Let me know how that processor works out for you? You beat me by a fair bit on that one (My recent purchase). Particularly, how is does the heat work out on it? Mine is simply not workable without liquid cooling. Now it screams without getting much above 35c.
edit on 27-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The 660 is a powerfull card in it's own right and you would not notice any benefit as the 760 is a little monster of a card and can do all the physX you want without noticing the extra processing but if you really wanted to make your case run hot (not a good idea) then you could configure the 660 as a PhysX processor and use the 760 as your dedicated graphic's card (if the drivers still support this and I think they do) but SLI is not allowable as far as I know as that requires the two card to be the same and your 660 would only slow the 760 down even if it was possible. I would recommend making a second PC with 660 or selling it online but as I am still running an old 550 I really am not up on these newer card's, Good luck though.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Use the faster card as your main workhorse card. Keep the lesser card installed for running Physx in games.

top topics

join