It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN says they are 95% sure humans cause global warming

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
But they also say that the earth has not warmed as much as they thought. So humans are 95% responsible for not very much!
edit on 27-9-2013 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

All our planets and moons aren't changing. If it's the sun causing this round of warming on Earth (it's not, solar output has decreased over time not increased), how much hotter would Earth have to be for Neptune to be noticeably warmer?

reply to post by the2ofusr1

95% certainty is the same certainty that scientists are sure that the universe is 13.8 billion years old.

reply to post by semperfortis

The panel is not member states playing at being scientists and making pronouncements. The panel is made of scientists from all over the world volunteering their time and research in an effort that world governments will react according to their findings.

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well now, this sounds like a typical political report.

Well it is The Summary for Policy Makers, how should it sound?

Grand declarations on something that cannot or has not been proven to the level they dearly wish they could say it was

Except what they are stating, has been proven time and time again.

I'd respect them a little if they took a STAND...and didn't always play the coward's position with a big backdoor to escape through when or if they are proven outright wrong.

Perhaps you are unaware that science never states 100%. 90% is a big deal... 95% is huge. Also these are not people running for office of any kind, your opinion is nothing to them... the only opinions that matter to them are those of their peers, of which, they have the respect of.

reply to post by damwel

Unfortunately it's not just Republicans anymore, plenty of corporate loving Democrats hoarding the nations wealth on their behalf. But still... it's fun to think about their collective veins popping lol.

reply to post by the2ofusr1

Climategate = Debunked.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

since the keepers of knowledge on whose expertise you rely on have worked so hard to make any pesky evidence of medieval warming disappear from the records.

That's absurd. From what records did the MWP disappear?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

What does it matter what any reporter says?
Read the report for yourself.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Kali74
All our planets and moons aren't changing. If it's the sun causing this round of warming on Earth (it's not, solar output has decreased over time not increased), how much hotter would Earth have to be for Neptune to be noticeably warmer?

And yet the entire solar system IS warming up.
And people aren't on Mars or Neptune or anywhere else.
The system is warming up naturally.

One of many articles available online

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

All of them are bunk.

This is a round-up of the planets said by sceptics to be experiencing climate change:

Mars: the notion that Mars is warming came from an unfortunate conflation of weather and climate. Based on two pictures taken 22 years apart, assumptions were made that have not proved to be reliable. There is currently no evidence to support claims that Mars is warming at all. More on Mars...
Jupiter: the notion that Jupiter is warming is actually based on predictions, since no warming has actually been observed. Climate models predict temperature increases along the equator and cooling at the poles. It is believed these changes will be catalysed by storms that merge into one super-storm, inhibiting the planet’s ability to mix heat. Sceptical arguments have ignored the fact this is not a phenomenon we have observed, and that the modelled forcing is storm and dust movements, not changes in solar radiation.
Neptune: observations of changes in luminosity on the surface of both Neptune and its largest moon, Triton, have been taken to indicate warming caused by increased solar activity. In fact, the brightening is due to the planet’s seasons changing, but very slowly. Summer is coming to Neptune’s southern hemisphere, bringing more sunlight, as it does every 164 years.
Pluto: the warming exhibited by Pluto is not really understood. Pluto’s seasons are the least understood of all: its existence has only been known for a third of its 248 -year orbit, and it has never been visited by a space probe. The ‘evidence’ for climate change consists of just two observations made in 1988 and 2002. That’s equivalent to observing the Earth’s weather for just three weeks out of the year. Various theories suggest its highly elliptical orbit may play a part, as could the large angle of its rotational axis. One recent paper suggests the length of Pluto’s orbit is a key factor, as with Neptune. Sunlight at Pluto is 900 times weaker than it is at the Earth.

SKEPTICAL SCIENCE!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

It matters because that's all anyone hears. Maybe 5% of the population will actually read the report but 5% of the population doesnt matter in policy making or elections. It's that other 95% made up of slobs and politicians who simply repeat the reported words of a favorable outlet and run with it.

If NPR, ABC, MSNBC or Fox reported that 2+2=5 that weeks Sunday shows would be loaded with pundits and politicians talking about how wrong it has been to teach children 2+2=4 for so many years and how we need more taxation to fix the injustice.

That's why it matters.
edit on 27-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: math

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

On New Year’s Day 1942, President Roosevelt, Prime Minister Churchill, Maxim Litvinov, of the USSR, and T. V. Soong, of China, signed a short document which later came to be known as the United Nations Declaration and the next day the representatives of twenty-two other nations added their signatures. This important document pledged the signatory governments to the maximum war effort and bound them against making a separate peace.

Source

So looks like that the US president Roosevelt was the one who thought up the United Nations and that's why the US pay more then any other country to fund the UN.

Both Roosevelt and Wallace were 32 degree freemasons, and Roosevelt was supposedly in the secret society Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystics Shrine (Shriners), which claimed to be decendents of the Illuminati.

Source

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well I can't disagree with you on that point, I misunderstood your post and thought you were referring to your own confusion. Confusion is the name of the game in the media brought to you by your friendly neighborhood corporate overlords... public confusion means more of nothing being done to address the issue.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Painterz

Star for you but I take exception to this phrase...

the only camp that has a vested interest in establishing a conspiracy about Global Warming is the oil industry

This is misleading, there are many vested interests even pro global warming the worst is carbon trading (banksters) but the forces opposing humans as the source aren't primarily the oil industry but the coal industry and then the gas industry, the oil industry has less to fear due to the unparalleled ration of energy per mass of its production that makes many other things that some nations depend workable (like feeding corn to cattle or to move large amount of produce by trucks even by air) something that would be hard to replace or even match by direct substitution, most would require restructuring supply networks and create alternative infrastructures like improving trains etc...

The major power in this battle is the coal industry especially when we are talking about the BRIC nations that are heavily dependent on coal and major exporters. Even so they have been willing to curb it but not nations like the US and Australia (see those that destroyed the Kyoto protocol effectiveness)...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

semperfortis
And the United Nations being the amazing scientific organization that has been so right on so many occasions, they must be correct here..

(HEAVY SARCASM INTENDED)

The United Nations is perhaps the most expensive and worthless organization the world has ever known

I wish we had let Libya take it when Gaddafi offered, then we could have 'accidentally' destroyed it like the Chinese embassy in Serbia.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Well said. We desperately need to change the narrative on this topic. Though I don't think that the Oil Cartels play a small role by any stretch.
edit on 27-9-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

hknudzkknexnt
reply to post by brace22

Well they still need to explain why ALL our planets and moons are changing as well

its the sun, I know we cause an impact but we are NOT the root cause.

JUST to reiterate. Global Warming is only an issue if you are in need of more money from the "humans".

The quote from the UN is indeed the mother load of garbage!

Our Sun is the root cause and for the ones who do not believe this and still want to cry Global Warming then I say to you, research it for yourself. The stats keep changing depending on the agenda of said "scientists" and when its all said and done... where the Sun is traveling also changes, hence our climate "change".

I could probably fill three pages with nothing but credible links that indeed suggests the Sun is the root causation, however I am so busy as of late I will leave you with this thread. Its a lengthy thread but if one reads it all, you just might get a glimpse of the "problem". www.abovetopsecret.com...

If they told us the true problem, they couldn't get more money from us. What is most important to the big wigs? Honesty and love for the human brother/sister or money?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I simply don't understand the skeptics and deniers. Why is it so hard to accept the possibility that we are responsible for changing the climate? Basic laws of science state that every action has an opposite and equal reaction, so how would it be possible for us to be burning billions of barrels of oil over many decades and not expect some sort of consequence? To me it's like assuming a virus can't be harmful because it is so small.

And for those who believe the entire solar system is heating up, you'll believe a handful of scientists who can only infrequently detect temperatures of planets/moon from millions of kilometers away but you won't believe 1000's of scientists with 1000's of temperature readings all over the entire Earth for decades? Just seems backwards to me.

And please stop grouping capitalism and climate change together. As with every other thing in our society, capitalist will take advantage and try to extort money from the masses every opportunity they get, climate change is no different.

Yes the Earth goes through cycles. It has been hotter and colder. There has been more CO2 and less CO2. But these changes occur over thousands if not millions of years. Never have these changes been so abrupt.

Honestly I'm getting tired of this 'it can't happen to me' attitude that afflicts our society.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Funny, the United Nations has no real place in this world anymore. Countries disobey international treaties and there's nothing that they do about it. They gather around speakers around the world and say "don't do that anymore!" and that's about all they are willing to do. Not to mention the UN isn't shy from having a fair share of controversies.

Regardless whether we are at fault or not, it doesn't matter. It's impossible to control the world and tell everyone that they must comply. So many countries are bankrupt already, you can't just ask the world to drop their currency and be happy about it. 95% of the people if not more would rather have a home and a job than being homeless and in a fight between others for resources. To convert our entire world to leave just a small carbon footprint is unreasonable and impossible.

Just how much involvement does the UN actually have with "green energy" firms? I'm pretty sure that if they are that confident, and somehow have discovered something that real scientists have been at it for years and could not find any evidence of, they have their interests invested into something big. But of course, no matter what figures they throw out, the sheep will buy it without looking into it first and they will cry foul to anyone that says otherwise. I trust NASA a LOT more than the UN by billions of light years. NASA has not found any conclusive evidence that humans are the cause or a big cause of global warming. There's bathtub science, but it's all speculation and they outright admit that. Until they say otherwise and it's not forced by the obama "green" administration, then I'll be thrilled to see scientific evidence that humans are the cause. Until then, UN... Shut up and go back under the bridge you came from.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

and I am a 100% sure they are full of crap.

They act like panicky ants everytime the cash cow of over hyped environmentism is threatened by real science.

The sun has EVERYTHING to do with earths climate. But hell lets act like superstitious peasants and think to some BS faith based assumption about human awfulness instead of the facts. While we are at it lets throw a whole crap load of money at the problem .....or better yet lets devise a new type of all inclusive and intrusive tax system based on carbon emissions .....this way no one will be able to afford a car or home heating without forgoing education and medical care or even too much electricity .....so no computers or cell phones or other communication technologies ....

Sounds like a perfect world of hell for the common man.....glorious for the ultra rich....

Save the planet sure.....because we could even scratch the surface or truly save it anyways if it were in danger...because we are God like that....

please.......go have a climb with david Rothschild and think to the future on some mountain top......leave us the hell alone.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The BBC have been big on this for a long time, it's a cash cow for them to dip into....£trillions.
Then there are the crocodile tears, AKA BBC's other big story on governments and council's milking, (pardon the connective expression) the public in parking fines and related stuff, as if they are doing a big expose, with the background investigation when everybody and their granny knows fines are a systematic racket....£millions.
What BBC should is go about finding where all the basic information is gathered on warming, how accurate it is, how it is averaged, how many times is it averaged as it goes up the chain, how much is interpretation, instead of just churning out the report as a given.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Woah a lot of different views here.

I believe global warming is real. But come on? Entirely our fault. I will admit that yeah, we don't help.

But I also believe it's just a natural thing. I also don't think it is going to have the massive catastrophic effects everybody says it will have.

Humans survived the ice age with nothing but fur, rocks and cave chicks. Pretty sure we will be okay through this. If the sun is heating up, surely that means it will evaporate more water anyway? Thus removing said extra water from our humble streets.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

Whats killer is the way the blame little ol John and Jane Doe. If they are worried about styrofoam talk to the people that make it for petes sake. But here they go talking about my personal little carbon footprint and cows farting in the pasture.

I know OTFRLAO! Comedy gold from the UN!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

I have no problem accepting a human contribution to warming. I have a problem with governments approah to a solution. Taxing me more is just going to piss me off more.

If government wants me to change my ways how about government incentivizes that change? Maybe government should support my adopting a more agrarian lifestyle by removing the burden of property taxes for which I have to commute daily into the city to pay.

I'm sure there are tens of thousands of people who would be willing to more or less go "amish" if it werent for having to pay property taxes.

The system is set up so that unless you are independently wealthy or poor on the street you have to consume to pay the state for the privilege of living then the state turns around and taxes your consumption? That's not right.
edit on 27-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join