It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Searching and Finding the Data you need.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Just to jump in and add a resource that came up in a discussion that we had last night.

If you ever are zipping around the net and come across an old and broken link... if you search something on google, get results, but the server won't come up, or the page is gone... if you think someone has been dabbling in a little "historical revisionism" on their web site... remember "the Wayback Machine" at archive.org

Simply copy the URL of the broken link, go here: archive.org, and paste it into this box:

When you click the "Take Me Back" button, you will (hopefully, see below) see a screen with all of the snapshots that the Wayback Machine has taken. You can click on any of the years in the top graph to see snapshots for that year -- let's look at ATS in 2000.

Each blue date is a separate snapshot, let's click on June 8:

And we see what ATS looked like on that day.

Now, as you can see, some graphics are missing, and any "dynamic" web pages will not work, but you can click on links and use much of the site, just as it was on 8 June, 2000.

Here's what apple.com looked like in 1996:

Ha, ha, pretty lame

One bummer about the Wayback Machine is that it doesn't archive everything, but you can "nudge" it into starting to archive a site by running a search on archive.org -- if it hasn't copied it, it tells you, and then puts it into the queue for the next run. Sites can "opt out" of the Wayback Machine by modifying their "robots.txt" file, in which case, no archives will be made.

Anyway, just another resource for you -- thanks to WRabbit for starting the thread.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Can you show how to search for a video by name on the Mood Music Thread here on ATS? I do not claim to understand all of your tutorial, so I may be using some of your tips wrong, but I have tried using "quotes" and the + and still do not get results. This has been a need of mine for a long time. I often post on that thread and as time passes forget if I have posted a video before or not, I don't have time to go through all my posts to find out.

I have tried searching on google and samuru.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Is this something like what you had in mind?

Google Search into specific ATS thread

In that case and using "abovetopsecret.com: mood music video", the trick for narrowing is "abovetopsecret.com:" in the first part of the search string. That tells google to search nowhere outside (in theory anyway), the ATS Website. Then the next words narrow down a bit more.

You could add + signs like +mood +music to get more specific and into that one thread, or you could enter this into google:

abovetopsecret.com: "sugarcookie's Mood Music 2 post the music you love..Rock and roll is here to stay - It's better to" Wish you were here

....and the return you will get:

Extremely Specific Results

Would seem to indicate the string "Wish you were here" appears in 3 posts and 2 different pages on that ATS thread. Nifty, eh?

* By the way, in double checking my link after posting it, I see it now hits on 5 different spots in that thread and not 3. I can't find the 'Wish you were here' in the lower two, which raises another point. Two actually... CTRL-F is going to be necessary as Google takes you to the page and not the post in the new ATS format (that I have seen, anyway) and if Google may be hitting on a Youtube title, CTRL-F won't find that.

So two little quirks to keep in mind about how using Google to deep search ATS threads works.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I have a couple sites to add to the thread and I'm just not sure on another section. As much as I've tried to get it together, it just isn't working. The main one on the sensitive stuff is Cryptome. I may well add a couple others but they're not up right now and that's part of the problem.

Anyway, the first one here is for quakes, volcanoes and related reports and it's a very comprehensive source to see things.

WPSmap.com

Given how this one literally combines Tier 1 source data from both the USGS and the EMSC feeds, it looks to me as the superior one of the bunch for a quick reference to quake activity. At least so far. I found this after I wrote the quake segment of the OP, so consider it an added piece to that section.

This next one I also just came across and it's quite a source for Government data and information. Unlike the other resources I've shared which generally appear as straight search pages to go from or list box indexes to scroll through, this takes a different approach in both layout and what it's sharing.

FedStats.Net

What that site supplies is a sort of directory of a bit of everything Government. From tables of stats, to federal code and law to many many pages of departments and sections with their website to click on.

What makes that special is that it's in a clear, easy to read and well sorted (to me anyway) Tree format to use in finding what you're looking for. Literally, the whole thing is on one page to reference and one can't ask for much more .....except of course, to keep in mind the length of the page. lol

For those who want an easier way? They also have an Ipad App or Webplayer compatible version of what they call their Spotfire Dashboard and that's a unique way of being able to reference everything that source has up.

-----

Enjoy, and what I'm going to be doing is dropping links of special and particularly useful interest into this thread as an ongoing thing. Everyone is welcome to share more in the same topic line, of course, and I'll drop the ones I find of real exceptional value as I come to them for search and easy reference of data online.

edit on 6-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think if I fool with it a while I might have success, so far not so much lol. I don't know why it is so hard for me. I actually want to search the other Mood Music thread, and I can get the whole thread to show at this point, it is getting to specific songs I lose it at.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have subscribed to your thread so I can have it handy, and play with it to up my skills.'smiley face'

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Now i'm hesitant to post anything without honest research.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I would like to help you guys out aswell and show you something only few people know.
Image search, I stumbled upon the myself by accident.

I run a dual monitor system and at one time I was draggin one picture from on screen to the other but google chrome was open.

What happened was it quickly loaded up the picture and searched the internet for the exact same picture. And in every availbe size.

There are two ways of doing this.

1)

When u klick on the icon like a camera you will be able to upload a picture from you desktop or via URL.
By URL : when u see a picture on the internet right klick it to " copy " the picture URL. This is just the path from the website where the pictures are uploaded to.

2) resize your chrome browser about halve your sceen, go to google images and then from you desktop drag your picture onto the search field.

Very usefull when you want to find out which site uses this image. and also if it has any other size. ( like say for a wallpaper or so )

My guess is, that this algorithm works that it takes X amount of pixel information and searches the web how much images it has with that exact formation of colored pixels.

S&F Wrabbit.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Incredibly cool thread!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join