It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Great XM8 Videos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I just watched these cool videos of the US Army's new XM8 rifle. That gun is really impressive.

They are really cool and I want one.
Watch and you'll see why...

100 shots fired continuously without jamming. Wonder if the SA80 can do that...

The British should buy that gun.

You may need to click the play button. If you use a half decent browser (not Internet Explorer
), or if you can't see any buttons, you should right click the video window and select 'Play'

www.armytimes.com...

Different XM8 Systems

[edit on 15/11/04 by Hyperen]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
"Damn!" said the private.
"Whats the matter with you?" Said the soldier crouching next to him.
"Im out." he replied
The soldier stood up "well i cant help ya, i ran out of triple A's yesterday" turned and walked away.

when my CD player runs outta juice i usually take batteries out of something else

Why does the military look into electronic guns...what if you cant resupply batteries in a war zone (bastogne comes to mind) wtf are they gonna do?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
When they run out of batteries they will just use it as a normal assault rifle. The XM8 doesn't need batteries to shoot along with every other small arm in the US military. They will supply batteries like they do ammunition.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
pATTONME is right the XM-8 does not use any batteries. The only thing that would use batteries on that gun would be a laser sight or red dot scope something like that. Which any gun that uses one need a battery.

The XM-29 does use batteries but only to program air burst into its 20mm grenades. If the battery went dead it would become a impact grenade launcher and thats it.

The XM-8 is made by HK anyone that knows alittle about guns knows that says it all right their.

I checked out a HK site before Hyperen and they said they have no plans to make a civlian version of the XM-8
Looks like only the military or law enforcement will get their hands on one.

[edit on 14-11-2004 by ShadowXIX]

[edit on 14-11-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
the SA80 can fire all day and not get a jam.
the XM8 is nice but i prefer the G11 myself.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I checked out a HK site before Hyperen and they said they have no plans to make a civlian version of the XM-8
Looks like only the military or law enforcement will get their hands on one.

That's a really good idea, since that gun has some massive firepower.

I wouldn't like civilians to have assault rifles, especially really good ones, if I was in law enforcement.

If the batteries run out and new ones aren't ready at hand, can that scope still be used to a good standard and are there any 'backup' sights?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
the SA80 can fire all day and not get a jam.

HaHA, SA-80 is the most unreliable weapon today in active service. Period.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen

If the batteries run out and new ones aren't ready at hand, can that scope still be used to a good standard and are there any 'backup' sights?

Well it looks like it uses a red dot scope and a small battery can last for like 70 hours in one of those.They dont really require much juice to work.

But I would think it would be like the site the G36 also made by HK which uses two sight systems - a 3.5x optical sight and a self-powered red-dot sight using sunlight for power during daytime operations, saving battery life for low-light or night use.

Im sure the weapon has some type of backup iron sites too.

If your using a NV or Thermal scope and the battery goes dead I think your pretty muched boned. Plus those types of scopes would suck up the juice I would think.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
world.guns.ru...

this needs batteries to operate.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

really? the only time it is unrealiable is in the desert. it was designed for european combat.
my mate in the marines , greg, fired his all day at faslane ranges. he didnt get a jam,blockage or missfire.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kessel
world.guns.ru...

this needs batteries to operate.

The XM-29 only needs batteries to make its grenades airburst, without batteries it cant program the distance to explode for the round. If the battery goes dead it turns into a impact grenade launcher like just about every other grenade launcher on the planet but its still semi-auto 6 rounds.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

really? the only time it is unrealiable is in the desert. it was designed for european combat.
my mate in the marines , greg, fired his all day at faslane ranges. he didnt get a jam,blockage or missfire.

So? Name 1 less reliable assault rifle than SA-80 being in service today.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

So? Name 1 less reliable assault rifle than SA-80 being in service today.

i dont know many rifles but i am just saying the rifle is good. i use the L98 ,its predessesor, a lot and it is a ncie weapon. it has only jammed on me when i was getting used to it. i dont jam any more.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

It is commonly known that the SA80 has had some big problems. It is by no means even close to the XM8. Tp say the SA80 is a great weapon demonstrates a lack of knowlege of it's history.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarnos

It is commonly known that the SA80 has had some big problems. It is by no means even close to the XM8. Tp say the SA80 is a great weapon demonstrates a lack of knowlege of it's history.

have you fired ethier?
the L98 which is very similar and near same to the SA80 is a good rifle.
if there is soo many bad comments about it where are the good comments?
you cant say there are no good coments.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarnos

have you fired ethier?
the L98 which is very similar and near same to the SA80 is a good rifle.
if there is soo many bad comments about it where are the good comments?
you cant say there are no good coments.

The SA80 worked well with its original caliber of 4.7mm(?). When the gun was adapted to take the NATO SS109 5.56mm round, that is where its problems started.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
that may be but its not as bad as the media points out. its a crap gun but its not that crap.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The SA80 is supposed to be so accurate that a branch of the British armed forces had to redesign the way they did tests for accurate shooting.

It is rumoured that it will be phased out soon anyway. It should be replaced by the XM8.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen
The SA80 is supposed to be so accurate that a branch of the British armed forces had to redesign the way they did tests for accurate shooting.

It is rumoured that it will be phased out soon anyway. It should be replaced by the XM8.

yeah they did the sniper section of the marines and army had to redesign the test.
supposly in 2008 many think it will be the G36 assault rifle.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Well, the Germans have always been the forerunner in small arms. I'm still surprised the US didn't try and design an indigenous successor to the M-4.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join