It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxes. Why are we subsidizing religions that just lie to us?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

All religions have their own Gods and be you a believer or not, you pay taxes to support them, ---- and all they return, except for a bit of social babysitting, ---- is lies.

Are you fed up with the Noble Lie of your governance and should these lying churches stop feeding from your wallet while your government use them against you?

I can appreciate some of the ancient logic for propagating churches and religions and the Noble Lie. I think that that logic no longer applies as our communication systems have become global and instant and churches are no longer required to supplement our social safety nets and that they have become superfluous and redundant.

Should your tax support for these lying churches and competing Gods be ended?

Are we bright enough to rid ourselves of the Noble Lie that we feed ourselves?

Why are you subsidizing religions that just lie to us?

Would you like to end churches and other tax exempt entities from taking your hard earned dollars and returning nothing or are churches still required in our modern societies?

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Greatest I am

All religions have their own Gods and be you a believer or not, you pay taxes to support them, ---- and all they return, except for a bit of social babysitting, ---- is lies.

Are you fed up with the Noble Lie of your governance and should these lying churches stop feeding from your wallet while your government use them against you?

I can appreciate some of the ancient logic for propagating churches and religions and the Noble Lie. I think that that logic no longer applies as our communication systems have become global and instant and churches are no longer required to supplement our social safety nets and that they have become superfluous and redundant.

Would you like to end churches and other tax exempt entities from taking your hard earned dollars and returning nothing or are churches still required in our modern societies?

Regards
DL

I am not religious but I am going to stop you right there. You don't seem to have a basic understanding of what a tax subsidy is. Tax exemption is when you are exempt from paying taxes. A tax subsidy is when a government gives tax dollars to change consumer behavior(i.e. a corn subsidy).

While I don't care for religions myself, they are not "subsidized". They are exempt from many taxes that businesses and individuals pay, but to me that would point to an issue with the tax system in general not the churches who currently don't participate. This topic is also more hate mongering for people on both sides that don't understand what you're even saying.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Religious organizations do a lot of good with the money that would otherwise go to taxes. Soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and places for battered women for safety. The churches do better with the money than the government would do. And as long as the religious organizations stay out of politics then they keep their tax free status. Looks like a fair exchange.
edit on 20-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

OrphanApology

Greatest I am

Regards
DL

I am not religious but I am going to stop you right there. You don't seem to have a basic understanding of what a tax subsidy is. Tax exemption is when you are exempt from paying taxes. A tax subsidy is when a government gives tax dollars to change consumer behavior(i.e. a corn subsidy).

While I don't care for religions myself, they are not "subsidized". They are exempt from many taxes that businesses and individuals pay, but to me that would point to an issue with the tax system in general not the churches who currently don't participate. This topic is also more hate mongering for people on both sides that don't understand what you're even saying.

The bottom line is that we take on the tax burden that churches do not pay. We are paying to be lied to.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

buster2010
Religious organizations do a lot of good with the money that would otherwise go to taxes. Soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and places for battered women for safety. The churches do better with the money than the government would do. And as long as the religious organizations stay out of politics then they keep their tax free status. Looks like a fair exchange.
edit on 20-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

If churches paid their share then perhaps fewer would be there to beg from them.

Except that churches do not do as you say they should.

One of many examples.

www.cnn.com... eed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+Most+Recent%29

Regards
DL

edit on 20-9-2013 by Greatest I am because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Greatest I am

OrphanApology

Greatest I am

Regards
DL

The bottom line is that we take on the tax burden that churches do not pay. We are paying to be lied to.

Regards
DL

You're being lied to alright. The lie has to do with you thinking that any individual is actually responsible for a "tax-burden". I bet you honestly believe you signed a social contract prior to conception too.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

OrphanApology

Greatest I am

OrphanApology

Greatest I am

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

You're being lied to alright. The lie has to do with you thinking that any individual is actually responsible for a "tax-burden". I bet you honestly believe you signed a social contract prior to conception too.

All taxpayers share the tax burden and churches ride on that free of charge, --- while only believers benefit.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Greatest I am

OrphanApology

Greatest I am

OrphanApology

Greatest I am

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

All taxpayers share the tax burden and churches ride on that free of charge, --- while only believers benefit.

Regards
DL

Government creates it's own demand. If you think churches are to blame for the predatory tax system that is closer to a mafia model than a free society then I feel very sorry for you.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Good question. Just drive around any neighborhood and look at the number of churches (nice fancy buildings usually, too and in good condition) and then look at the parking lot. If it's not Sunday from 9 to noon, there's probably only one car, if that, in the lot. Those buildings should be being used for day care, educational purposes, community organization, food banks, and homeless shelters, not going unused after all the subsidies and/or tax exemptions they enjoy. Let them prove they are in it for the community and for the health and welfare of ALL people, not just to give the reverend and his staff a cushy job pushing the propaganda about fairy tales.

What kind of house would God have, and what would s/he do with it? Let it sit idle?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

If churches paid their share then perhaps fewer would be there to beg from them.

And if the government did theirs jobs then maybe there wouldn't be as many people needing a hand out. Like cutting off the corporate welfare for companies that move jobs overseas why should our tax dollars help multinational corporations. They would get more taxes out of this than going after churches.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

buster2010

And if the government did theirs jobs then maybe there wouldn't be as many people needing a hand out. Like cutting off the corporate welfare for companies that move jobs overseas why should our tax dollars help multinational corporations. They would get more taxes out of this than going after churches.

Exactly. Even if you buy into the whole social contract tax scheme, why would churches be the first thing you'd focus on in regard to tax "burdens".

Seems like maybe you'd focus on the heinous tax code that makes it almost impossible for small businesses to survive and creates monster corporations who are so far removed from the free-market that they might as well just be called government agencies. That's another topic altogether.

What I'm saying is I agree and there are much larger fish to fry than churches who are just simply tax exempt yet still on U.S. soil.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

So... whats your plan do you want to get rid of all religious buildings?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

signalfire
Just drive around any neighborhood and look at the number of churches (nice fancy buildings usually, too and in good condition)

Firstly, I'd like to point out to you that not all community churches are "nice, fancy buildings", there are a great many that are little more than space metal or former storefronts. The "Nice, Fancy" ones are almost always paid for strictly through the contributions of their congregations, in other words, they built that.

Those buildings should be being used for day care, educational purposes, community organization, food banks, and homeless shelters, not going unused after all the subsidies and/or tax exemptions they enjoy. Let them prove they are in it for the community and for the health and welfare of ALL people, not just to give the reverend and his staff a cushy job pushing the propaganda about fairy tales.

Most churches ARE used for most, if not ALL of those things. Maybe you should look into their activities rather than simply driving by and only noticing the outside of the buildings.

I don't attend church, in fact, I'm not very big on organized religion at all, but I still understand that those buildings hold far more than empty pews between weekends, regardless of denomination or creed.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Aw, DL, back to your irrational whinging, eh?

Churches aren't individuals, so they are not subject to personal income tax.

Churches are non-profit organizations, so if you taxed them like a business, they'd pay zero anyway, because you tax profits, not income.

They generally aren't selling anything, so they're not subject to sales tax.

So what's left? The "DL doesn't like churches, so tax 'em to the hilt" tax?

Naw.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

signalfire
Good question. Just drive around any neighborhood and look at the number of churches (nice fancy buildings usually, too and in good condition) and then look at the parking lot. If it's not Sunday from 9 to noon, there's probably only one car, if that, in the lot. Those buildings should be being used for day care, educational purposes, community organization, food banks, and homeless shelters, not going unused after all the subsidies and/or tax exemptions they enjoy. Let them prove they are in it for the community and for the health and welfare of ALL people, not just to give the reverend and his staff a cushy job pushing the propaganda about fairy tales.

What kind of house would God have, and what would s/he do with it? Let it sit idle?

I agree that there is a lot of miss-use of the funding involved by churches.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

buster2010

Why exempt the churches. Why not get both of those tax hogs or skippers?

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Greatest I am

buster2010

Why exempt the churches. Why not get both of those tax hogs or skippers?

Regards
DL

Or we could just get rid of the taxes...problem solved.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

adjensen

Aw, DL, back to your irrational whinging, eh?

Churches aren't individuals, so they are not subject to personal income tax.

Churches are non-profit organizations, so if you taxed them like a business, they'd pay zero anyway, because you tax profits, not income.

They generally aren't selling anything, so they're not subject to sales tax.

So what's left? The "DL doesn't like churches, so tax 'em to the hilt" tax?

Naw.

You are so pathetic.

www.patheos.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

While I don't care for religions myself, they are not "subsidized".

Actually. Yes they are...

Now, let’s top this off with President George W. Bush’s faith-based tax giveaways to churches. Congress has passed a law that churches can discriminate in hiring.* This means your tax dollars are given to churches for the supposed purpose of social services, but if you are not a member of that church, they can discriminate and not hire you. Thus, they keep the free money among their own members.

Source

See here for more. Churches Are Parasites...

edit on 9/20/2013 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 9/20/2013 by Klassified because: eta2

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

An atheist thinks that churches are under taxed?

Stop the presses, there's some real news!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join