It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas woman gets life sentence for 6th DUI conviction

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by n3mesis

I'm not saying she should get no prison time or even a light sentence, I'm saying she did not injure anyone, even though she could have, and shouldn't spend the rest of her life behind bars. A long time...sure.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Look, I understand your point of view and also believe drastic measures are in order, but you and everybody else are not fortune tellers and and is not definite that she will kill someone. She is guilty of 6 DUI's not guilty of maybe one day killing someone. She doesn't deserve LIFE in prison.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Which sentence is that? Did you really say "retard place"?
edit on 20-9-2013 by devildogUSMC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Its' crazy how you could see laws changing in this kind of fashion but still for the most part it doesn't scare anyone and or people are too complacent to worry about it. Why not just revoke her license and put her in rehab? Instead it's more about making slaves to make more money. So sad.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

spartacus699
Its' crazy how you could see laws changing in this kind of fashion but still for the most part it doesn't scare anyone and or people are too complacent to worry about it. Why not just revoke her license and put her in rehab? Instead it's more about making slaves to make more money. So sad.

Please tell me how revoking her license and putting her in rehab prevents her from driving again vs putting her in prison which physically prevents her from driving.

The only sad thing in this story is a selfish human made the choice to drive drunk 6 times.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

You clearly do not understand alcoholism. She absolutely needs to be punished because, sick or not sick, I don't think anyone should be above the law, but she obviously is sick and needs help. People do recover from alcoholism. They do it by not drinking. Maybe after 10 years in jail sober and the fear of 10 more if she drives drunk again will make her WANT to be sober from then on.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

devildogUSMC
reply to post by opethPA

You clearly do not understand alcoholism. She absolutely needs to be punished because, sick or not sick, I don't think anyone should be above the law, but she obviously is sick and needs help. People do recover from alcoholism. They do it by not drinking. Maybe after 10 years in jail sober and the fear of 10 more if she drives drunk again will make her WANT to be sober from then on.

Yup, you are right because I never made the choice to have a drink so i never had to deal with alcoholism.

Agreed after i calmed down and thought about then listed what I thought was fair for a 6 time repeat offender I said 20 years but chance of parole after 10 if she can stay sober for the first 10 years.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I believe driving drunk is the equivalent of attempting to commit a random murder. If you get in a car knowing you are impaired than you might as well be out looking for victims. I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Well, we agree.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

No, that is wrong. It is not the intent of every drunk driver to commit random murder. That is ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

They may not be setting out to kill someone, but they are choosing to engage in risky behavior that they know has a good chance of killing someone. So due to their complete disregard of other peoples lives, I don't see it as being any different.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

devildogUSMC

No, that is wrong. It is not the intent of every drunk driver to commit random murder. That is ridiculous.

Please tell me what the intent of a drunk driver is? The second someone that is drunk get's behind a wheel they are not in control enough to have any specific intentions because if they were they would realize what a selfish and poor choice they just made. Oh wait, i know the person said earlier that not all drunks are crazy drivers..

Sorry if alcoholism is a disease but like any other possibly deadly disease it does not give that person carte blanche to put multiple people at risk. What's the difference between this person that chose to drive drunk 6 times and an AIDS patient that has unprotected sex 6 times and didn't tell their partners they had AIDS? Their is no difference at all and I find it hard to believe that anyone would be trying to justify that as "it's a disease" .

Make a mistake 1 time fair enough..everyone should get a second chance..this person, if you can call her that, decided to play Russian roulette 6 times with multiple peoples lives. I am all for getting her treatment, all for helping her achieve sobriety and until she can prove over an extended period of time that she values anyone beyond herself she should be locked away .

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

She should be sent to a mental health facility for intensive therapy.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Again I agree it is completely wrong to drink and drive ever and there is no such thing as a good drunk driver. I don't drink at all so I am not being biased. They are impaired when they make the decision to drive and their intent isn't to take a chance. They think they are fine.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

opethPA

devildogUSMC

Please tell me what the intent of a drunk driver is? The second someone that is drunk get's behind a wheel they are not in control enough to have any specific intentions because if they were they would realize what a selfish and poor choice they just made. Oh wait, i know the person said earlier that not all drunks are crazy drivers..

Sorry if alcoholism is a disease but like any other possibly deadly disease it does not give that person carte blanche to put multiple people at risk. What's the difference between this person that chose to drive drunk 6 times and an AIDS patient that has unprotected sex 6 times and didn't tell their partners they had AIDS? Their is no difference at all and I find it hard to believe that anyone would be trying to justify that as "it's a disease" .

Make a mistake 1 time fair enough..everyone should get a second chance..this person, if you can call her that, decided to play Russian roulette 6 times with multiple peoples lives. I am all for getting her treatment, all for helping her achieve sobriety and until she can prove over an extended period of time that she values anyone beyond herself she should be locked away .
it is obvious u have been really hurt by a drunk driver and you have lost all sense on the matter, and before u say i have lost someone to the same thing.

But your basically saying that everyone that gets behind the wheel drunk thinks to themselves i,m going out to kill someone tonight,thats just madness.people make mistakes but u seem to be unwilling to accept that.be it on you when you screw up and no ones willing to forgive you.
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

sparky31
it is obvious u have been really hurt by a drunk driver and you have lost all sense on the matter,yeah and before u say i have lost someone to the same thing.

But your basically saying that everyone that gets behind the wheel drunk thinks to them selfs i,m going out to kill someone tonight,thats just madness.people make mistakes but u seem to be unwilling to accept that.be it on you when you screw up and no ones willing to forgive.

Please tell which of the following show I have lost all sense on the matter considering this lady, which is the only person I spoke about on this thread was arrested for driving drunk 6 times..

1. 20 years in jail , parole in 10 if she can stay sober that long
2. no driving privileges for the rest of her life, not that it would matter with a coward like this.
3. treatment for being a repeat alcoholic and a criminal(this is me having humanity)
4. Weekly random sobriety checks for the first year then gradually reducing to monthly after that.
5. public service attending the funeral of every innocent man/woman/child killed by a drunk for a year.
6. If she gets arrested again, so a 7th time, for drunk driving then she never leaves jail again.

Maybe it was the multiple times I said everyone deserves a 2 chance but once you tell me where Im not being sensible..maybe you can then tell me where i said the part about any drunk going out with the intention to kill others..

Finally..a mistake is forgetting to pay your cable bill..a mistake is dropping a glass..it is a stretch but someone driving drunk once, if they learn their lesson, is a mistake..

Someone doing it 6 times no longer qualifies as a mistake.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
on a late sat night and half cut i didn,t put that across as i exactly wanted it to come across.

shes made mistakes and be it a few times,she needs help but to me you just want this woman strung hung and quartered,you don,t accept being an alcoholic as a disease,would you want a smoker jailed for life for passive smoking if it killed someone?its an addiction and help would benefit her more than locking her up for the rest of her life.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

sparky31
on a late sat night and half cut i didn,t put that across as i exactly wanted it to come across.

shes made mistakes and be it a few times,she needs help but to me you just want this woman strung hung and quartered,you don,t accept being an alcoholic as a disease,would you want a smoker jailed for life for passive smoking if it killed someone?its an addiction and help would benefit her more than locking her up for the rest of her life.

I take it you were drunk in making these replies which seems rather appropriate.

Multiple times I said being an alcoholic is a disease.
I stated that she should go to jail for 20 years and if she can stay sober for 10 then she should released.
If she was arrested a 7th time for drunk driving then yes, she should be locked up for life and while being locked up she should be given treatment.

Again though, I am guessing you were drunk ..so ..

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

But again, life in prison for this is excessive, correct?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

devildogUSMC
reply to post by opethPA

But again, life in prison for this is excessive, correct?

I am all for giving her treatment at this point. 20 year sentence and if she can stay sober for 10 consecutive years then she should be eligible for parole. This is her chance to show she is a human being and not a selfish, lazy, coward.

If she gets arrested a 7th time though then all bets are off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join