It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas woman gets life sentence for 6th DUI conviction

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
A Texas woman could spend the rest of her life in prison after her sixth conviction on drunken driving charges.

Rose Ann Davidson was arrested July 27, 2012, after an officer said he spotted her driving erratically on Interstate 35 near Kyle, reported the Austin American-Statesmen.

The officer said the 44-year-old Davidson, of San Marcos, appeared to be intoxicated and had an open container of beer in her vehicle when she was stopped.

Davidson had five prior convictions for driving while intoxicated dating back to 1996, and Hays County officials said she’d been released from prison a short time before her arrest.

A jury sentenced Davidson to life in prison for her latest conviction.

According to California attorney Lawrence Taylor’s DUI Central Blog, the record for drunken driving convictions is likely held by the late Jerry Zeller, of South Dakota, who’s believed to have been convicted of drunken driving more than 30 times.

www.rawstory.com...
edit on 19-9-2013 by devildogUSMC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
She did not injure anyone. She deserves jail time, she is a repeat offender, and she obviously has a problem and is desperate need of help. By no means does she deserve life in prison. People get convicted of 6 rapes and don't get life in prison.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

Great news, now there is no chance of some poor innocent being killed by her recklessness.

Justice served, although I do hope that after a few years, and some counseling she might be freed if it is without doubt she poses no further threat to other motorists and/or pedestrians.

EDIT: Sorry, just finished work after 14 hours and I'm in a really cold mood.
edit on 19/9/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I agree she should do jail time and should never be allowed behind the wheel ever again. LIFE in prison though? Really?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

At least until she can prove she wont do it again.

If she was to hit and kill someone, it's the end of their life, and a life sentence of pain and hurt for the victims family.

It's not like she even got the old 3 strikes and your out....6 times!

She needs a damn good lesson before it is too late, for someone.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Freaking Texas. Lucky for her she didn't get the death penalty to be applied after all of her appeals by an incompetent state appointed lawyer were denied.

It will be overturned on appeal.

Nothing wrong with receiving a multi-year sentence for being a habitual offender but that is just off the chart.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Actually, I take back what I said earlier, I was thinking like a Brit.

When I hear the term "life imprisonment", I usually think the minimum of 15 years.

What is life in America...is it just that, the rest of your life?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
A life sentence is utterly insane but this woman should absolutely be getting jail time.
Drunk driving kills people, she's been lucky (as have the public) 6 times so far not to kill anyone.
Maybe she'll get sobered up and sort herelf out inside.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
She could've killed someone. 6th conviction?? This woman has a wreckless regard for the law and other human beings.

Life in prison? Were the other convictions felonies? Was this the three strikes (or in her case 6) your are out?

In my opinion, she is no better than a child molester, or rapist. She does not care what she does to anyone else. She deserves to go to jail for a very long time. She deserves to never be allowed to drive again (but she apparently does not care what the law is so would that worK??) and she apparently does not care if she kills anyone else. She has no regard for anyone.

She is sick. After 6 DWI's I am sure she has been offered help. In Kentucky if you get one DWI you have to go to alcohol abuse classes. I am sure she has been offered help.

I would rather her rot in prison than kill anyone. Just my opinion, and I know it is harsh.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
seriously i think they should implement American sentencing over here in uk for murderers and violent offenders but a life sentence for dui is going a bit overboard ,fair enough give her a a few years to think about what shes done but life?jeez

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
awesome..wish we had more rules like that..
one time ok a mistake , no matter how selfish and cowardly a drunk driver is everyone should get a second chance..maybe a third chance..but not a 6th chance..

I know..someone was holding a gun to her head making her drink and drive and put countless innocent people at risk all 6 times.. Hopefully she realizes just how lucky she is..that she has never killed anyone and takes the time behind bars to get clean..

Cry me a river..the poor drunk , people shouldnt be so mean to her..
yes..I had someone in my life get killed by a drunk driver in the same accident where that coward crippled 1 other innocent person..you know what happened to him...2 broken fingers ,10 stitches and 8 years behind bars.. Where were chances 2 - 6 for my friend that lost his life? What about the other person that could never walk again ? Where were their chances 2-6?

I hope that lady and every single drunk driver rots in hell.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I agree with all of you and I too think she should receive a significant punishment. That being said, I do not think she deserves to spend the rest of her life behind bars.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I live in Texas and, believe it or not, we have strict laws on repeat offenders. I wonder how she was still driving with 5. She could have killed someone at any time, but she didn't. I think a term of something like ten years would be correct. Maybe with another ten of parole and supervised drug tests, rehab, etc... But to lock somebody up for life that obviously drives around drunk but is either really lucky or not reckless when she does seems to be harsh.
I believe she's got a problem and needs help. Ten years of sobriety would go a long way.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

tryingtomakeit
not reckless when she does seems to be harsh.

please explain that one to me , a drunk driver that is not reckless..

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

There seems to be a lot going on in Texas lately.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

You are correct. Unbelievably harsh. She had five other offenses in 17 years. Not one mention of her blood alcohol content or previous DUI's with an accident. I looked at her picture. Could be one of the reasons. I doubt she had adequate representation; It is Texas after all. Check it out. They are still misdemeanors you know, only felonies once you are in an accident and injure someone. I can think of plenty of other offenses that are just as dangerous to public safety.

And on edit: She is 44 years old. That means her first one was when she was 17 years old. When were the other ones??? I thought the stuff you did when you were a juvenile wasn't supposed to count??
edit on 19-9-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
as crazy as this sounds it's my opinion that it's necessary and thank God they got to her before she killed someone.

i also think if there's ever gonna be a dent with the drug problem they need to aggressively go after the abusers in the same manner because after all it's the "demand" that is why there is a problem, without the demand there would be little supply.

the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime but this to is necessary.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by n3mesis

I firmly do not believe in making examples out of human beings.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

devildogUSMC
reply to post by n3mesis

I firmly do not believe in making examples out of human beings.

My friends mother that committed suicide after her only son was killed by the drunk driver i mentioned..what was she an example of?

perhaps we should go hug this lady and say "its ok, you only committed a misdemeanor because you didn't hurt anyone"

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Absolutely ridiculous. Life in prison? She hasn't even hurt anyone! Instead she should be forced to go to rehab. Oh wait, the American for-profit prisons and their lobbyists don't make money that way. Better to lock someone up rather than rehabilitate them.

There are a lot of bad drivers out there who are just as much of a danger than a drunk one. Oh wait - i take that back. I know someone who went to prison for 10 years for hitting a pedestrian that jumped in front of his car and had actually left a suicide note hours before.

Its like my uncle the cop says - if we have to show up, someone is going to jail!

hoursnitewait

bad

pertains

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join