It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Because a picture is worth a thousand words. A symbol is worth about 100 word I suppose. I would imagine a sticker with a skull and a lightning bolt across it represent death, do not touch.

Ok this is really friggin frustrating.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

DOADOA
reply to post by DOADOA

For the love of god how do you reply to a thread without quoting. Where is the reply to thread option?
Not sure what's up with that for you, DOADOA... I see a labeled quote icon, and a labeled reply icon at each post.

At the top and bottom of your thread, I see a labeled reply icon (looks like a talk bubble.)

Sorry you are having this problem. I'm sure the tech gurus around here can help you! *thumbs up emoticon*

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

loveguy
reply to post by DOADOA

Me too, just put the curser over symbol until notation specification specifies what symbol does what function.

What thread were you attempting to reply in?

Wow, mine are labeled. Just curious, I'm using Chrome-- what about you guys?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
just click any of them that open the reply window and remove all the text in there....

it aint rocket surgery.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

rickymouse
reply to post by DOADOA

All these years developing a language using letters and we are reverting back to symbols that we used to consider primitive before. I know, it is happening all over, pretty soon nobody will be able to read or write, just draw little pictures. I don't think that this is a good thing myself, I like words myself. Every generation tries to change things so the last generation doesn't understand what they are doing. It has recently gotten a little overpowering, so much that the young will not be able to understand what great knowledge their elders have accumulated. It is part of the reprogramming of society so some newly formed entity will be able to take over. Oh well, that's the way things go I suppose.

Well said!

On topic:

Go to the bottom of this thread. Look to the right for this...

Click on reply.

If you don't see those characters. You have a problem with your browser.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It's because on a cell phone only icons show up, on a computer you get the icon and the name. It took me forever to start a thread with pictures from my phone, cause I had to guess what was what. I understand your frustration!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This thread did make me think about a scene in a hospital in the movie "Idiocracy" (about a future populated by idiots and everything made as simple as possible).

The woman on the desk had a panel with a huge array of illnesses to pick from (not too dissimilar to ATS new icons) that the patient seemed to be suffering from. Things are certainly going that way and Mike Judge the writer spotted it in 2006

edit on 19-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This thread made me giggle a little. Not going to lie. Sorry that you're having forum issues, OP.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Let me see if this works. I scrolled to the bottom of the thread and hit the reply key........ If this works and a reply appears on the thread with out being in response to anyone in particular I will claim success in my first attempt at replying to no one in particular which is what I think you are trying to do as ascertained from all your lamenting. If I am successful, I will then reply to you in a quote reply and verbally rip you asunder. OK? Here goes.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

OK doadoa
I was successful on my first attempt to reply to no one in particular and as promised I have returned to rip you asunder in a reply directed to you. Ready??????
Why, you must be the famous Dead on Arrival, Dead on Arrival.
There. Ripped asunder.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

found the pic ^^

Oh you know what would be fun, guess what each button is!

im going to go with the pink one, in the top middle and say electrocuted ass

edit on 19-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

DOADOA
reply to post by DOADOA

What in the hell. I wanted to reply to a thread not crete one. Lets see if this symbol is the correct reply to thread symbol

Hovering your cursor over an icon usually gives you info, preventing one to create involuntary threads... lol

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
And the lord sayeth, "Let he who hath understanding rekon the icon of the reply, for it is an obvious icon. and if he cannot, well probably a good thing eh, what you rekon jesus?"

"Naww, put words with it dad."

"bloody ingrate.."

"I died for them you old fart."

"Oh alright... words.. let there be words.."

and so it came to pass, words were instructed to become part of the icon.

And lo, the world rejoiced... for it was good.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I think I just figured out how our world (and our brains) are devolving as each decade passes by...

Up until now I've been scratching my head completely boggled by how many idiots I'm surrounded by everyday (by "idiots" I mean those who are incapable of using that grey matter between their ears)... And how that all came about.

But it seems the lightbulb has finally turned on for me:

We've resorted to using icons and pretty little pictures in lieu of actual words (which would require a course in Hooked-On-Phonics).

No wonder our kids are graduating high school and only reading at a grade 2 level.

I think the movie "Idiocracy" is coming true afterall, folks.

*sigh*

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jaws1975

Not true. I use my iphone w/ browser given and I see reply bubble w/ reply written right beside it. I see it when replying to individual or replying to thread in general.

Must be the browser people are using. Or... It's the user. Ha
edit on 19-9-2013 by tracehd1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

I swear to you I looked low I looked high I looked left and right. That elusive reply to thread button do not exist for me.

<< 1   >>

join