It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could This Be Atlantis?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
NICOSIA (Reuters) - An American researcher on the trail of the lost city of Atlantis has discovered evidence of man-made structures submerged in the sea between Cyprus and Syria, a member of his team said Saturday.
Robert Sarmast, who is convinced the fabled city lurks in the watery depths off Cyprus, will give details of his findings Sunday.

www.reuters.com...;jsessionid=UKEOIGGMLISQECRBAE0CFFA?type=scienceNews&storyID=6804176

It will be interesting how this turns out, even if its not atlantis it's still a lost part of civilization, I wonder what it will hold, or if we'll ever find out for sure.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I dunno, common word is that Atlantis was either the isles Thera or Crete, two greecean cities that were destroyed in a volcanic eruption. recent studies have shown both had a primitive form of plubming (tubes leading into the sea).

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
There are many reports of sunken ruins around the Globe, but which one is the fabeled Atlantis?

Sunken ruins have been found in the Mediterranean, just like the one announced recently. There have been found sunken ruins off the coast of Japan. The Caribbean Ocean has sunken ruins near western Cuba. Scientists say that the melting from the last Ice Age covered these cities in water. Personally I think these events were caused by catastrophic tectonic plate activity. Maybe these areas sank at the same time. I don't know if ancient gold statues can survive that long in the ocean to be found again intact. If they found the statue of Poseidon in this new site, and labeled Atlantis to be found, then one might ask, "Why did he mention it to be found outside the Pillars of Hercule?" Maybe legends of the sunken civilizations were merged with Plato.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
They have found man made sculputres under bottom of the ocean..
The team of Atlantis researcher Robert Sarmast has found man-made structures on the bottom of the sea between Cyprus and Syria. The expedition took place approximately 70 miles from the eastern coast of Cyprus towards Syria. Sarmast will give more details of the discovery on Sunday.

Mere discovery of man-made structures on the bottom of the sea doesn't yet prove that Atlantis has been found. Sarmast has however put a lot of effort in finding Atlantis so it's in the realms of possibility that this is the real thing.

If it becomes evident that they have really found Atlantis, it could mean the end of centuries of speculations surrounding the mystery. Discovery of Atlantis could also mean plenty of new information concerning the development of western civilization

[edit on 14-11-2004 by Transmission Deployment]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

There are many theories. Here is just one of them.

Less than 1 mile off the shore of North Bimini lies a unique underwater
phenomenon. A series of rectangular stones, laid out in 2 straight parallel
rows, lies in less than 15 feet of water. The stones and the two rows are
actually part of a much larger formation that, due to it's size, is only visible
from the air.
The stones and the formation were first discovered in 1968 by a private pilot
who was flying over the island on his way back to the US mainland.

www.biminiundersea.com...

Sanc'.
edit:sp

[edit on 14-11-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
those "roadways" were de-bunked as natural formations, they are all over the place. It happened when water washed over the shores, and eroded all of the soft rock in between the larger stones. Happens all the time, especially near rivers.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Kastinyque says:

"Robert Sarmast, who is convinced the fabled city lurks in the watery depths off Cyprus, will give details of his findings Sunday."

I read the Sunday Nicosia paper (www.cyprusnews.com...); they quoted a later article (today's byline):

"[Sarmast says] 'We cannot yet provide tangible proof in the form of bricks and mortar as the artefacts are still buried under several metres of sediment, but the circumstantial and other evidence is irrefutable,' he claimed."

"At a news conference in the port city of Limassol, Sarmast provided only animated simulations of the 'hill'."

Circumstantial evidence? No pictures, just animations? That sounds pretty weak to me.

Satchbfoot says:

"...Thera or Crete, two greecean cities that were destroyed in a volcanic eruption."

That's more like it, except that Thera and Crete were not cities, they were Islands, and only one, Thera (now Santorini) was practically destroyed by a volcanic blast around 1627 BC (www.mystae.com...).

But Crete, which was the center of Minoan civilization at the time (remember Theseus and the Minotaur? Same story.) was not destroyed, although it later was whipped soundly by various other cultures. If you're interested in suchlike, here's a great article; "Did Thera's Explosion Doom Minoan Crete?" (www.iht.com...).

Finally, most of the pictures you see of "stone columns" underwater in places like Cuba, Bimini, etc. have, upon further investigation, turned out to be naturally-occuring basalt, which, when cooled rapidly (basalt is extrusive magmatic rock), solidifies into columns typically hexagonal in cross section. The Giant's Causeway in Ireland, the Devil's Postpile in California, and a smaller outcrop in Israel are examples of this:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...;jsessionid=KIHKRLVR5EEMOCRBAEZSFFA?type=scienceNews&storyID=6806129

heres a link to the story that Off_The_Street quoted. What's making me doubt the credibility of it being atlantis is that he claims he's found a "rectangular" landmass, if I remember Plato's story correctly it's Atlantis is supposed to be three circular landmasses joined by bridges. But I'm still interested to see what, if anything is discovered here. Atlantis or not it could still be a lost civilization, and possibly contain clues of others.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
heh. who ever heard of a rectrangular land mass? even manhatten isn't rectanular. bam

[edit on 14-11-2004 by satchbfoot]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Seems they've been finding many lost cities due to better imaging technology these days. As far as one of them being Atlantis I wonder how they would make that determination.

From the pictures I've seen it appears the one off the coast of Cuba has the largest structures - though I can't find them anymore except at pay sites. There was supposed to be a group studying the site, but all new publicly available information has ceased since it's discovery a couple years ago. Makes you wonder whether they buried it to keep others away until they get all their books published or the government wants to keep it a lid on it.

[edit on 14-11-2004 by outsider]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
There are more atlantis' than clinton affairs. Oh, that's good one.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
there are sunken cities throughout the globe suggesting a cataclysmic flood that could have occured.

In India, off the coast of Mahabalipuram, Graham Hancock and his british team recently found evidence of sunken city.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I wouldn't write it down just yet.. It DOESN'T match SEVERAL of Plato's points.

For one, Plato described a continent of kingdoms (and a large one at that), with a capital city.
The city was located midway on the continent's longest side.
The city was surrounded by mountains, and alternating belts of land and sea.
There are many, many other points as well here that don't match and he'd have to find the red, white, and black stone there too.

All he's showing so far, is that the temple described by Plato, shares similarities with the one found. Well, the pyramids at Giza are pretty similar to each other too, as are ziggurauts of Central America. It's JUST as possible that the temple found was merely an outpost of Atlantis, and so had a similar temple there, etc.

This is the portion of Plato's dialogue, describing the temple....

The palaces in the interior of the citadel were constructed on this wise:-in the centre was a holy temple dedicated to Cleito and Poseidon, which remained inaccessible, and was surrounded by an enclosure of gold; this was the spot where the family of the ten princes first saw the light, and thither the people annually brought the fruits of the earth in their season from all the ten portions, to be an offering to each of the ten. Here was Poseidon's own temple which was a stadium in length, and half a stadium in width, and of a proportionate height, having a strange barbaric appearance. All the outside of the temple, with the exception of the pinnacles, they covered with silver, and the pinnacles with gold. In the interior of the temple the roof was of ivory, curiously wrought everywhere with gold and silver and orichalcum; and all the other parts, the walls and pillars and floor, they coated with orichalcum. In the temple they placed statues of gold: there was the god himself standing in a chariot-the charioteer of six winged horses-and of such a size that he touched the roof of the building with his head; around him there were a hundred Nereids riding on dolphins, for such was thought to be the number of them by the men of those days. There were also in the interior of the temple other images which had been dedicated by private persons. And around the temple on the outside were placed statues of gold of all the descendants of the ten kings and of their wives, and there were many other great offerings of kings and of private persons, coming both from the city itself and from the foreign cities over which they held sway. There was an altar too, which in size and workmanship corresponded to this magnificence, and the palaces, in like manner, answered to the greatness of the kingdom and the glory of the temple

First and foremost, Plato ALREADY ADMITS that he is changing the names, etc. to those of Greek gods, before going into the tale of Atlantis...

Yet, before proceeding further in the narrative, I ought to warn you, that you must not be surprised if you should perhaps hear Hellenic names given to foreigners. I will tell you the reason of this: Solon, who was intending to use the tale for his poem, enquired into the meaning of the names, and found that the early Egyptians in writing them down had translated them into their own language, and he recovered the meaning of the several names and when copying them out again translated them into our language. My great-grandfather, Dropides, had the original writing, which is still in my possession, and was carefully studied by me when I was a child. Therefore if you hear names such as are used in this country, you must not be surprised, for I have told how they came to be introduced

I'm assuming that the architect has found simply a submerged temple, that is a stade in length, 1/2 a stade in width, and a 1/2 stade tall. (this may well be the dimensions of the one in Athens also, I'd have to check) If this is the temple of Atlantis (or even a similar one) then he is about to be a wealthy man with all of the materials mentioned above. However, since Plato is actually speaking of a temple for foreign gods (barbaric in appearance) and assigning Hellenic names to them...it's my contention that he simply tried to impress upon his Greek audience that this was a grand temple to their gods, filled with gold statues, etc. and that some of this is actually embellishment on Plato's part for the sake of narrative. I believe that since the story of Solon didn't have the details, and only described the grandness of the temple, Plato sought to describe this in the mind's eye of his listeners using familiar gods and embellishing the details.

Then of course, he'd have to establish the large plain of Atlantis, the surrounding palaces and temples, etc.

EDIT: From what I've seen so far, conclusions haven't even been made as to whether or not this is a natural or manmade oddity...

Sarmast's theory is that Cyprus is the pinnacle of Atlantis, with the rest of it about a mile below sea level.

This really bodes ill for Sarmast, as it doesn't jive for the temple location as the temple was on one of the highest points (as most temples are), so why so low now? (even with sinking, it would have been at one of the highest points, i.e. on Cyprus)

[edit on 16-11-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Robert Sarmast has got his hand on it (maybe that's why he has mast in his surname).

He's trying to get as much publication as possible so he can sell as many of his books as posible before the Advanced Digital Communications (ADC) national Geograpic Documently comes out later this month and gives more info on their underwater findings. The funny thing about ADC's findings is that it's all very "hush hush".

For more info, look at the following link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This posting has to deal with the possible airing of the video footage taken by ADC Internation of the sunken ruins found near Western Cuba

Here's a reminder, and one change, to the program scheduled to be aired on The National Geographic Channel (NGEO) called,

Naked Science- Atlantis

Nov. 24, Wednesday, 10:00pm
Nov. 25, Thursday, 1:00am
Nov. 28, Sunday, 2:00pm

Now I'm not really sure this presentation is going to show the video footage taken by ADC International, in the depths of Cuban waters, in a portion of the program. In the Naked Science website they had some photos of their programs to be aired and two were of the Atlantis showing. One photo was of a set of pillars on dry ground colored black and red. The other photo was of a woman with large standing stones in the background. The caption said this, "Malta expert Adriana Cacciottolo sits in front of the megalithic structures of the Temple of Hagar Qim, which were consistant with Plato's account of Atlantis." This whole program might just focus on Malta, but we'll have to watch it to be sure.

Here are some other programs National Geographic is showing in December, related to deep sea hunting of treasures and oddities. Maybe they'll be showing the sunken ruins near Cuba here? Someone needs to call National Geographic (do we have an insider?) to find out when they'll air it or is it just a rumor?

Mysteries of the Deep-Treasures of the Deep
Dec. 16, Thursday, 5:00opm

Mysteries of the Deep-Kings and Pirates
Dec. 27, Monday, 1:00pm

Mysteries of the Deep-Disasters at Sea
Dec. 28, Tuesday, 1:00pm

Mysteries of the Deep-Lost Ships of the Mediterranean
Dec. 30, Thursday, 1:00pm

(Maybe it will be in one of the future "Mysteries of the Deep")

SMR

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Off_The_Street,
I have never seen those.Those are awesome!Thanks for posting.
IF Atlantis were to be found,what could that mean for mankind?Depending on what they could find,could it change the way most think of GODS and our place here?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
SMR says:

"IF Atlantis were to be found,what could that mean for mankind?Depending on what they could find,could it change the way most think of GODS and our place here?"

You ask tough questions. My guess is that exactly what "Atlantis" turns out to be (if it does exist and we ever come up with hard evidence for it) would determine what kind of impact -- whether technological, psychological, historical, or even theological -- its discovery would have on us.

Let's assume that there really was a six or seven thousand-year-old Atlantis and it was on a technological level with, say, Minoan Crete. This would stand Aegean and, indeed the entire Mediterranean Basin archaeology on its head, and the paleo-linguists (assuming the Atlanteans had some sort of writing) would be pumping out doctoral dissertations for the next fifty years. It might even change the way we look at the Indo-european family of languages; Grimm, Jespersen and Tolkein would be spinning in their respective graves LOL!

If you assume that there was an Atlantis on the same level, say, 30 or 40 thousand years ago, then it would quiter simply turn the entire corpus of archaeology, paleolinguistics, anthropology, and everything else upside down. Could you imagine a written record of first-hand interaction with Homo neanderthalensis? Talk about mind-boggling!

But actually, I'm probably the wrong person to ask about this; I'm an engineer without any formal training in anything but a smidgen of geology and linguistics, the latter from almost 40 years ago when I was studying English Lit.

The person who would probably be the most likely to give you inputs for such a momentous discovery (again, assuming that there really was an Atlantis) would be our colleague Ms. Byrd, whose knowledge of such things is immensely deeper and broader than mine.

[edit on 16-11-2004 by Off_The_Street]

SMR

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
You gave me some things to think about though!
I do hope he does come in here and tell what he thinks could happen.I mean looking at what you have stated,things could change in a big way.Language is one of the most interesting things to look at as well as who saw who and when.
Imagine finding technology we have now!Or atleast the idea!

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Take into account, that Atlantis is either about 11,000 years old or about 3,000 years old (depending on which translation you're going with), when factoring in impact.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Gazrok says:

"Take into account, that Atlantis is either about 11,000 years old or about 3,000 years old (depending on which translation you're going with), when factoring in impact"

Well, if "Atlantis" was what I think it could be, the major Minoan-culture area outside Crete, then the 3000-year-old assertion could make sense. If you read the article I cited earlier on the effects of the Thera eruption on Minoan culture, it begins to add up.

...and I suppose, that, if you look at "Atlantis" as a neolithic flooding of the Black Sea (which could account for "Noah", "Gilgamesh" and other myths), then a possible 11,000-year-old origin might make sense, especially given recent discoveries in of a freshwater-lake village in water about 100 feet deep in the Black Sea.

But let's face it: if you consider "Atlantis" to be some city with an amazing technological level rather than merely a vehicle for Platonic thought, you will not have many scientists agreeing with you until some serious evidence comes to light...

...and so far, it hasn't.

Edited to put in a picture of Xunantunich I took earlier this month -- which has absolutely no bearing on the subject but you gotta admit it looks cool!

[edit on 19-11-2004 by Off_The_Street]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join