It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul's Young Americans for Liberty, Chapter President sues University over Free Speech Zones. W

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Young Americans for Liberty, which is a non-partisan, pro-liberty spin-off from Ron Paul's Youth for Paul (a national college youth network supporting his presidential candidacy) is currently the largest political youth organization in the country, it has already surpassed Young Americans for Freedom when it was at it's prime.

Link to the organization: www.yaliberty.org...

This video, about a YAL chapter president at the University of Cincinnati, who sued the campus over free speech rights on campus, and won...is a great story of "David taking on Goliath" it is a must watch. It is especially inspiring and vindicating if any of you have ever been relegated to a "Free Speech Zone" at any event. I know I have.

reason.com...

When Chris Morbitzer and his University of Cincinnati (UC) chapter of Young Americans for Liberty sought permission to gather signatures across UC's campus for a time-sensitive, statewide ballot initiative, their request was denied. Morbitzer was told that if he and his group were seen gathering signatures outside of the school's tiny and restrictive "free speech zone," campus security would be called and they could be arrested.

"I think it is absurd that they were threatening to put me in jail for exercising what is a constitutional right," says Morbitzer in FIRE's latest video.

Dismayed that he might not be able to gather many signatures if he was confined to a free speech zone that comprised just 0.1% of campus, Morbitzer took a bold step: He sued his university.

"Me suing the university felt a lot like David versus Goliath," says Morbitzer, "like, I stood no chance at all because, you know, I'm just a little student."

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
After taking a few minutes to read the Judge's decision on the matter, it seems that most of the problems arose because:
- the University had a policy for "demonstrations, picketing and rallies",
- no policy at all for mere signature collecting
- and just shoehorned the signature collectors into the above category.

Thus, while a large rally may even require several days notice, security to attend, disruption of normal campus life...etc... the judge ruled that the University should take steps to make the policies clearer, and the harmless signature collectors were not the same as "demonstrations, picketing and rallies".

Note also that the Judge did not rule that the "free speech area" was to be removed. It seems that the Judge may indeed be happy for it to remain for certain situations. But that the University should

revise the student speech policies to craft more narrowly tailored regulations...

edit on 14-9-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I thought he already did win the case? I'd have to say that you are right though, the school property is private property and can have it's own private rules.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Type Public (state university)
Space grant

Wiki

It's not a private university. It's public and althought the campus may be listed as owned it's owned by the people.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
"Free Speech Zones" are an abomination. It implies there are certain areas within the US that are suddenly devoid of our basic rights. The very notion is absurd.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
TKDRL, if you think free speech zone is absurd. How bout that constitution free zone around the borders. Where most of US actually lives.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Huh?

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Are you seriously saying you haven't heard of this
It's been covered all over, ACLU, daily paul, infoplanet and here too on ATS.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Oh I see..... Figures, being born and raised in the tri-state, I suppose I am just used to the crap. I highly doubt it is just the cities on the borders and coasts that it happens. It seems large cities everywhere are like that (even up here in canda), which is why I tend to avoid them and reside in very rural areas, without police forces to hassle me. I lived in white plains a few years, what a nightmare......

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

TKDRL
"Free Speech Zones" are an abomination. It implies there are certain areas within the US that are suddenly devoid of our basic rights. The very notion is absurd.

ABSOLUTELY INDEED.

What can be bounded and confined in such a fashion can be readily shrunk and 'disappeared.'

top topics

join