It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AIDS Vaccine Candidate Appears to Completely Clear Virus from the Body in Monkeys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

An HIV/AIDS vaccine candidate developed by researchers at Oregon Health & Science University appears to have the ability to completely clear an AIDS-causing virus from the body. The promising vaccine candidate is being developed at OHSU's Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute. It is being tested through the use of a non-human primate form of HIV, called simian immunodeficiency virus, or SIV, which causes AIDS in monkeys. Following further development, it is hoped an HIV-form of the vaccine candidate can soon be tested in humans.

Looks like there's more hope in finding a vaccine for AIDS. Unfortunately, I believe it will take years before this is tested in humans.

Apparently, instead of just being a vaccine, this new research may also be a cure.

This latest research suggests that certain immune responses elicited by a new vaccine may also have the ability to completely remove HIV from the body."

The way this vaccine is used is actually quite awesome. They use a modified form of a different virus, which then tells T-Cells to seek out the infected cells.

The Picker lab's approach involves the use of cytomegalovirus, or CMV, a common virus already carried by a large percentage of the population. In short, the researchers discovered that pairing CMV with SIV had a unique effect. They found that a modified version of CMV engineered to express SIV proteins generates and indefinitely maintains so-called "effector memory" T-cells that are capable of searching out and destroying SIV-infected cells.

Quite another achievement in AIDS research.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

This is what Luc Montagnier (recipient of the Nobel Prize for his discovery of the HIV) has to say about HIV vaccines:

and IMHO he's right

edit on 12.9.2013 by grobi77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by grobi77

How old is the video?

Doesn't seem like he is opposed to the idea of a vaccine. He is a little critical of the antiretroviral-stuff, but right at the beginning he says, in regards to his solution of working to decrease transmission - "So there are many ways which are not the vaccine, the magic name, vaccine - many ways to decrease the transmission by simple measures of nutrition."

Seems to me, that he is saying, that as long as we don't have an actual vaccine to fight HIV, we should look into decreasing transmission. But he isn't against the idea of a vaccine - or did I misunderstand something?

I am loving your avatar BTW!
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Mads1987
reply to post by grobi77

How old is the video?

The interview was done in 2009 for this documentary:
House of Numbers (which I would not defend in its entirety)
But Montagnier is quite clear in his statements...
Full 1h-interview here

Doesn't seem like he is opposed to the idea of a vaccine.

Well, but he says that you can get rid of HIV without medication. Simply by strengthen your immune system with the right nutrition. But this isn't profitable...

We'll see, what this vaccine costs when it's done. But it certainly will be too much for poor HIV-stricken countries.

I am loving your avatar BTW!

thanks, it's Mike Mitchell - The Button

top topics

join