It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple announces 'Touch ID' fingerprint scanner for iPhone 5S

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The rumors are now official. The most used smartphone provider, well known here for conspiring with the NSA is using fingerprint scanning technology to unlock the device and/or to allow purchases to be made, reportedly to the general glee of consumers. With this foot in the door by a prominent multi-device company, it's safe to assume that this can quickly become the new norm for tablets, laptops, and desktops as well. I've been concerned for many years about the death of the password, with wild fantasies of keys that scan fingerprints, etc., but this is reality now.

"All fingerprint [data] is encrypted," said Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, "and secured inside a secure enclave. It's never available to other to other software. It's never uploaded to Apple's servers or backed up to iCloud."

I wonder if that's a typo or an accurate transcription of a Freudian slip

Honestly though, I'm no all-knowing tech guru, but if the technology is being utilized, it has potential for exploit, right? I'm not trying to go off the deep end here, but today's outlandish claims uncomfortably seem to often become tomorrow's reality. Where is the red line drawn for secret government data-basing of fingerprints and turning around and implementing the information in future crimes, rewriting laws, or perhaps more scarily, using the fingerprint to frame someone and oust them in advancement of any given agenda? It seems cleaner than setting someone to go up in flames in a car accident and could misdirect a big story by putting the right fingerprints on the right things.

Apple Insider Story

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PeaceVindicator

This is amazing! Now the NSA will not have to deal with vague Meta-data to build profiles on citizens. Now they can directly connect your own fingerprints to whatever you do online or who you call or what you have stored on your precious gold case Iphone. The sheeple will not understand this, and only be fascinated to use the new technology.
My other question is:
The NSA has most likely violated HIPPA rules concerning patient information. If so, can we sue them into oblivion? I am curious....

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
So it begins...

This thread is along the same lines as tracking and hacking.
Why your cell phone is your new ID and why the government loves this tech

Glad I only use pay as you go cheap cell phones, no contact information given to the company. They might take that way too......

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Uh, I hate to burst your bubble, but fingerprint scanners aren't new to phones or computers in general. See: Lenovo/IBM/Thinkpads.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

looks like they have made a password vault.

Scan finger + password = stored locally

So you now scan finger and the device will get your password out of the database on your phone, it will then send this to where ever its needed, your finger print won't be sent, your password will.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

Thank you for your reply. No bubbles burst here; I could care less about an ego-driven desire for stars or flags. While I'm well aware of the tech's prior existence (I have one on this very laptop from early 2008), the big game changer here is that it's new for an iPhone. Apple lovers in general are fond of fully utilizing new features as they come, and that's a VERY big audience. Once it actually becomes widely second-nature, that's when large databases will be possible. The mentality behind this particular implementation in my opinion is a new cause for concern.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

First off, I just posted this over on the Facebook page

their privacy policy leaves the door open for disclosure

It may be necessary − by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence − for Apple to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.

Spiegel.de

In exploiting the smartphone, the intelligence agency takes advantage of the carefree approach many users take to the device. According to one NSA presentation, smartphone users demonstrate "nomophobia," or "no mobile phobia." The only thing many users worry about is losing reception. A detailed NSA presentation titled, "Does your target have a smartphone?" shows how extensive the surveillance methods against users of Apple's popular iPhone already are.

In three consecutive transparencies, the authors of the presentation draw a comparison with "1984," George Orwell's classic novel about a surveillance state, revealing the agency's current view of smartphones and their users. "Who knew in 1984 that this would be Big Brother …" the authors ask, in reference to a photo of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. And commenting on photos of enthusiastic Apple customers and iPhone users, the NSA writes: "… and the zombies would be paying customers?"

In fact, given the targets it defines, the NSA can select a broad spectrum of user data from Apple's most lucrative product, at least if one is to believe the agency's account.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Apple claims that the prints are encrypted and are only stored within the new A7 chip. They claim that it cannot be stored via iCloud, apple servers or give accessibility of the finger print information to any other software.

I call B.s
Mass information gathering to the MAX!

-Sneaky Apple! Always brainwashing people with the latest tech, and making society feel as if these gadgets are "needed"!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

angrysniper
Uh, I hate to burst your bubble, but fingerprint scanners aren't new to phones or computers in general. See: Lenovo/IBM/Thinkpads.

It will just be more pervasive and more widespread use. In the future, you may not have the choice of not using biometrics. If you have a spare digit you can do without, please send it to me.
In a few years, you will have to pin-prick your finger and give a little DNA in order to unlock your phone. They will claim it is an App to check for Diabeetus. What a slippery slope this has become.... LOL!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by atsmediapro

Did an NSA representative honestly refer to people as zombies? That almost sounds too unprofessional to believe, but if true (presented off the record, etc.) and could actually be a representation of their mentality towards the general public, that's extremely concerning. It's not to say that they're wrong, but damn.....

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

"What do you mean you were not the person who logged onto your phone on that friday night ! "

"We have direct evidence that your phone has logged your exact fingerprints on your phone that you use"

"I am not buying that your evil long lost twin took your phone for a day"

" I am sorry sir, but evidence is evidence."

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Relax, everyone.

From what I understand, the only way they can find you from your Apple fingerprint ID is using Apple maps.

We're safe!

Regards,
Rewey

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

"All fingerprint [data] is encrypted," said Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, "and secured inside a secure enclave. It's never available to other to other software. It's never uploaded to Apple's servers or backed up to iCloud."

B U L L L L L L L L S H _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ T

Sorry to sound so negative when it comes to trusting that my fingerprints will not be given to a third party, but that's not to say that they won't be stolen.

NSA scripts allow the agency to access at least 38 iPhone features after the agency infiltrates the computer used to sync the device, Spiegel reported.

NSA can hack into iOS.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

I thought we already let them do all that. They have been able to get phone records any time. No one complained to the phone companies, and they kept personal files on each person that had a landline.

Any legal purchases you make online with current money based technology has a transaction record to it unless you're using some untrusted third party software...

Every time you walk into a bank, you're phorographed. And I guarantee the cashier knows who she was dealing with at 2:45pm, with the records kept.

Any time you use a credit card or debit card... atm card. eftpos.

And we accept these things, as necessities these days. If you're not using current modern technology then you are likely never to encounter a personal device that has a fingerprint scanner either.

Who is it that is running free with what we've been using for so long, and not being recorded at every step in their life?

I don't know what can or might happen from fingerprint technology, but if we're worried about them fingerprinting the 7/11 to see if we were there, then they can already do that...

edit on 11-9-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I read about the new iphone and its features today and this isthe very first thing when i read "finger print scanner".

encrypted or not (we now know the NSA has all the keys anyway) this is TOTALLY going to be abused by the gov whenever it fancies comparing a vast database of finger prints.

Innocent till proven guilty?

Well if your print gets matched for ANY reason you could find your self spending thousands of your own money proving you are not guilty.

fun isnt it

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I have an old iphone. Has no front camera. I'd never get a front camera, a finger print reader, or a face reader on a phone. That's just utter stupidity. Actually at some point I could see myself living as a hermit, not having any address what so ever, no phone number, no nothing. The only way to reach me would be perhaps by email. That's it. On that topic I just started to realize that I want to get rid of "everything". I want less and less accounts, less obligations, less friends, less points of contact, less stuff, less of everything.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

My sister's laptop has this capability...and it's over a year old.

Nothing special about Apple trying to catch up to the competition. If anything, they should have had this on an earlier model phone, computer, etc.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
they want to probably make it the norm. That way anyone who goes online or goes on any computer can more easily be tracked.

new topics

top topics

join