It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Alternative for Food Stamp Recipients provided by the American Government

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Okay. GMO fruits and veggies. I didn't know abou tthose details with GMO seeds, i learned something new, thanks!

Admittedly, i am quite surprised that the government outlines that SNAP recipients could eat healthy, non GMO food. Especially including the fact that they are the ones pushing it.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

bigman88

Admittedly, i am quite surprised that the government outlines that SNAP recipients could eat healthy, non GMO food. Especially including the fact that they are the ones pushing it.

It surprises most everyone. But that is what SNAP benefits are intended for.
To ensure that there is access to fresh and local foods while achieving self sustainability. The USDA has many tools to help families balance their nutrition, shop, and provides recipes with all the labeling. But just how many people are actually gonna go and hunt down these tools LOLOL.

We got a hell of a SNAP garden program in South Florida. All states do. It seems that the inner cities tend to partake in SNAP gardening as not only a lesson in sustainability, but is even used as curriculum. Detroit is one to mention. NYC gives away free plots each season for SNAP gardeners. I suspect we will be seeing more of these activities as more and more people become food and health conscious.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

bigman88
reply to post by Hollie

Okay. GMO fruits and veggies.

Well... we really don't have GMO fruits and veggies in the markets. I think they tried a GMO tomato in the 90's that failed miserably, but other than that, I am only aware of huge commodities being GMO. Things like sugar beets, soy, corn, etc. I mean, a GMO corn cob isn't even edible from the stalk. It is used cracked in feeds, and processed/refined into other products such as sweeteners and fuels. I think rice is getting big on being GMO, however I have not looked for the stats on that in a while. I do know there is a percentage of it being grown though.

As for fruits and veggie's, no. You likely have never had such a thing, and probably won't anytime soon. GMO seeds aren't some dollar store seeds. They're very expensive. They would sell for 20$ packet if sold over the counter and no one would buy seeds that expensive. When you see fruits and veggies that are newer varieties, seedless, miniature, etc., those are only a result of selective breeding. Hybrids. Hybrids happen naturally anyway, but humans have been involved in hybridization of their crops/flowers/animals, for many many centuries.

edit on 16-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

You are right though. I did read that awhile ago. The thing is it is known that most of what we have in the supermarkets have genetically modified commodities in it, like 95% or so.

I guess it's better to narrow it down to organic?

I myself am trying to switch to a complete healthy organic diet of fruits and veggies, but i would love to learn how to grow stuff in my house; i'm a paraplegic and don't have good access to my back yard like that. Also, i do believe the world will be entering a tshtf fubar scenario where there will be no damn food or water to buy in public facilities.

I don't think the government actually wants SNAP recipients, or anybody for that matter, to be healthy. They insist on using harmful pesticides ans synthetic methods to grow produce, instead of just keeping it natural. They insist it's because they can't support such a large population with natural methods, but yet other people in other countries get it done no problem. Private, organic farmers are getting knocked off each year through insane laws and fees that have no purpose but too make their jobs impossible, and for the government to rake in big cash.

They go and pasteurize the most senseless natural foods. Cuz all of a sudden, these things will kill you if you eat it without it being nuked. Milk? Crabmeat? Honey? Yup, pretty deadly stuff alright.

Google what nestle puts in their baby formula. You'll gag. The FDA would rather approve that, than let a mother feed her baby some goat milk.

There is a reason why 3 out of 5 Americans these days have diabetes, obesity, cancer, hypertension, or some other crap ailment. And that's not because 3 out of 5 Americans eat junk food regularly.

I'm aware of hybridization occurring for thousands of years, but what we have today is a phenotypic alteration of certain produce for some desired trait, but from i am observing, results in my damn grapes tasting like it's filled with a pound of sugar, my tomatoes rotting off in half the time it used to, and this prickly shelled fruit thing that i like now starting to have this weird, rotten-like taste, though it's not rotten.

Granted, this is something that all recipients should go for. I just don't think that the government's main reason for this is to keep us healthy; if they wanted to do that, we wouldn't be seeing the crap on the shelves we see, they wouldn't have to pasteurize every thing we eat.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join