It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Really?

I have always found "pics or it didnt happen" (I have never used this phrase) to be a simple, quick and direct way of asking for evidence of ones statements.

It seems to me, that this topic is all about points of view. Your point of view of "pics or it didnt happen" seems negative, while mine seems more neutral. We will probably reach a stalemate here, seeing as it is all about the point of view of whoever reads it.

I have never put any negative thought into "this" or "pics or it didnt happen". To me it is like writing "lol" instead of "hahahaha"

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

It does sound disrespectful and trivialised whenever it have been used in ATS forum. It´s a phase which very rapidly is seen and noticed by others which in here makes this phrase even worse. In other not so serious forums and facebook its often used as a joke and understood as a joke, but in here where we want to discuss things more seriously its more like a insult and slap on the face.

What is see is lack of social skills and manners. Those both can be learnt so is the opposite.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

I dont see how using more words and words with more letters in them = manners and better social skills.

Words are words, whatever you put into them, and however you read them is your point of view.
You have no idea what I was thinking or how I felt the moment I wrote "this".
edit on 3-9-2013 by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by needlenight

Im sorry if i confused you was not intentional and actually i should have written my reply better as i did. I was writing about the phrase "pics or it didnt happen" not about "This"

My bad.

About social skills and learning them is important. Without precision you are easily misunderstood. Using shortened sentences and words you might get misunderstood easily. With poor social skills and poor language skills its no wonder there is so much fighting going on in forums and streets..

edit on 3-9-2013 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by whyamIhere

Yes.

Your post is another reply that has become over-used.

It assumes that nothing else is important, aside from 1 thing.

Of course there are other things that are maddening. Of course I have other interests, likes, and dis-likes, but they are rarely a fad within the membership that can be discussed.

I was just kidding around.

It does seem like a wasted post and beneath the T&C.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka

About social skills and learning them is important. Without precision you are easily misunderstood. Using shortened sentences and words you might get misunderstood easily. With poor social skills and poor language skills its no wonder there is so much fighting going on in forums and streets..

I see, that was actually quite ironic. How you said that poor social skills and language skills leads to fighting, but in this case lead to confusion

I guess we can agree that while correct wording can deal with most of this problem, reading and not being too quick to judge what is being read is just as important.

I agree that misunderstanding each other is a big reason for disagreements. So you have me convinced. Too short and too direct a reply is an easy victim of being judged. Seeing as it is hard to tell wether or not the writer was being positive, negative or neutral in the moment of writing.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Hope you didn't take my reply the wrong way. I could tell your comment was in good taste. I only meant to point out that the basis of your comment 'with all the things going on in the world, and this is what you think of', is becoming a more standard reply.

In general, it seems to disregard an individual's various opinions, relating to a diverse group of topics. Sometimes people use that type of comment in a demeaning or belittling way and as a tool to make the person seem petty.

Originally posted by needlenight

Originally posted by dollukka

I guess we can agree that while correct wording can deal with most of this problem, reading and not being too quick to judge what is being read is just as important.

That is why I am only mentioning the words/phrases as they are related to fad.

I agree that special care should be taken when trying to understand someone's point of view, or the manner in which they are trying to present their opinion.

In my opinion, this changes when the word/phrase becomes a social fad, with a generally understood inflection (can't think of a better word at the moment),

Also, I do not believe the people who reply with the word 'this' are doing so with any ill intent. In fact, I think it's the opposite, in that they want to show their agreement or feel their agreed opinion is valuable enough to warrant a 1 word reply.

I only feel like it is absolutely unneccassary to make a 1 word reply to let everyone know you agree with the post and it has become an irritating 'fad word'.

-please excuse my improper use of ' and " - they may be used wrong, but they feel right

edit on 3-9-2013 by esteay812 because: udishunol kontint

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

It would seem we have reached an agreement then.

EDIT: My knowledge of the grammatical use of " and ', is of course from danish grammar. If there are other rules for their uses in english, I would not know. English is only my second/third language.

And the " and ':
I believe that this one " is used when writing a line, that someone in a story says. Example: Peter answered his cellphone and said: "Hello this is Peter".
They are also used when quoting. Example: "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
Lastly I believe they are used when mentioning the title of something like a book or movie. Example: You should read "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown, its a very good book.

Now the single one ' can be used in situations where the title of the book is inside the line of a character in a book O.o Example: Peter answered his phone and said: "This is Peter. Yes I did read 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown, it is a very good book".

At least that is how I remember it from way back when I was in school.

I also personally use these ", when I use a word that might not be totally correct in its use, but within the context it is fitting. It may even hint at sarcasm sometimes.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Can I switch my word? "It" sucks.

Boobs...yep! OHHHHH how about "yep"?

S&F, boobs....YEP!

<< 1   >>

join