It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thunderstorms, I love them!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Tonight I was playing Battlefield 3 with a few friends when suddenly there came a large storm. I love storms, there's something peaceful about their power.

Here's a bit of background about me, I'm a storm spotter for the National Weather Service and a Ham Radio Operator. I've taken numerous courses related to weather and atmospheric sciences, and I just love the weather.

So, me being who I am and liking what I do, I decided to ditch the games and go enjoy the weather. Grabbing my camera and tripod I head to my car.

Once I found a decent place to park I made sure my window was cleaned up nicely and set up the tripod in the car, that's a tight fit if you've never tried it.

What was it like? It was wonderful! The resounding booms of thunder sounded less like a storm and more like July 4th fireworks. They weren't rolling rumbles, they were SOLID thuds and explosive sounds.

What'd it look like? Well, have a look:

Anyone else love storms as much as I do?

Lightning is a very dangerous natural hazard, it kills a lot of people and strikes without warning. It's not smart to be all outside in the middle of a lightning storm. Being inside a car isn't exactly safe, but I weighed the risk and went anyways. You probably shouldn't do that.
edit on 2-9-2013 by Mapkar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Wow, cool pic. I love storms too. I live for them. When the lightning strikes (blink) and you wait for the thunder, its awesome.

By the way, I think a car is the safest place to be in a lighting storm. Unless thats changed... has that changed?

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

It probably hasn't changed much, it's better than being outside. But, I have a 2 Meter radio antenna on the roof of my car that's sort of like a lightning rod. It always makes me worry just a little more than I normally would.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Nice! Nature never gets old. we had good weather north of there. All I could do was pause Just Cause 2 and grill steaks and look above. Fantastic shot! The storms were amazing.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I LOVE thunderstorms. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Wow, cool pic. I love storms too. I live for them. When the lightning strikes (blink) and you wait for the thunder, its awesome.

By the way, I think a car is the safest place to be in a lighting storm. Unless thats changed... has that changed?

Nope safer than what I did!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I do too! But we have not had to many yet I am hoping to get some photos if we do!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Wicked shot!!

I am also a storm lover... I tend to drop everything when i know a good storm is coming!

Unfortunately the camera on my phone sucks... But i try to "catch lightning" when i can

Can you catch lightning?

S&F

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Your car is made of metal. I acts like a cage that surrounds you. If lightning were to strike the car body it would pass around you and arc to ground from the bottom of the chassis. Usually the point closest to ground.

Still a thrill though. Lightning and thunder are humbling. I wish we had more of those here.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

It can still get you.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The trick is a longer exposure setting. I use a Canon T3i DSLR, so I can adjust it to anything I want. This was a 13' exposure.

I've had a few more good ones in the past that were taken with a small point and shoot, it's not always about the camera as it is the shear luck of a good bolt when the camera is taking the shot.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

But, I have a 2 Meter radio antenna on the roof of my car that's sort of like a lightning rod.

Zoinks!

I guess I would have come to the same conclusion. Thanks for putting up the awesome picture!

edit on 2-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by Mapkar

Your car is made of metal. I acts like a cage that surrounds you. If lightning were to strike the car body it would pass around you and arc to ground from the bottom of the chassis. Usually the point closest to ground.

Still a thrill though. Lightning and thunder are humbling. I wish we had more of those here.

Yes but I can never get over how loud it is.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I hope you get some good ones! It's really all about luck. The shot I posted above was featured by the NWS office at Charleston and the local news. It's turned into quite a spectacle.

Maybe you'll have a similar experience at some point here soon!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I've been nailed by it once. A storm snuck up on me during the summer, lightning popped and thought I'd been slammed by a baseball bat. It ran down a tower, through a cable, into the power to the house, and hit me through a computer (this one actually) as I was setting it aside to see if that was thunder I'd just heard. Not fun.

There was another incident where I was standing on a porch and it was close enough I felt the static in the air. Again, not fun.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Hehe. You can get the shot. Be Zen and do a little counting. And the car is safer. LOUD! But safer. Also open a window in your home is also an acceptable answer. As long as danger is clear.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

That video was awesome. I see they were uninjured.
Ever seen this one? The charge conducted thru the wet ground and injured several players.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigburgh

Rolling thunder is cool. Lightning is quick, the thunder echoes...

As devestating as storms can be, I do love the memories I have of falling asleep to the sound of rain on the roof and approaching thunder storms.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of storms. I just got inside from filming a front coming into yolo county. I caught a fading rainbow with lightning striking across it.
Let me see if I can upload a couple pics.

Fading Rainbow

lightning

these aren't even the good ones.

edit on 9/3/13 by 404ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 404ed

I really like those! The texture of the storms is amazing, and the individual features are very nicely captured.

You got some good pictures in what light was left!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join