It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Jordanian airlines plane hijacked in Libyan capital

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Bigburgh

A flight to London got out over the Atlantic and according to a twitter post switched their transponder to 7500 which is the hijacking alarm code. It then was supposedly switched to the military intercept code, but it continued on across the Atlantic and landed in London with no problems, and normal codes. [/quote

Thank you I was searching and missed your post.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
OMG just woke up,
not another one..WT?....
going back to bed

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The worst case scenarios is to have a plane full of terrorist including passengers, crew members and security officers as a premeditated action.
That will be something unstoppable.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I don't know what is going on but the only sources reporting on this are Pakistani, Turkish, and Serbian. It is real quiet everywhere else.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Here is a story I found in the Tripoli Herald:

An angry passenger caused a security scare at Tripoli International Airport in the early hours of this morning, after an argument with crew on a Benghazi-bound flight turned ugly.

Crew on the Buraq Air flight called in airport security to help when the passenger became violent on board the aircraft, according to the Ministry of Defence. The security response to the incident then sparked rumours in the local press and on social media networking.

“It is not true that an armed group stormed the runway,” spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence, Abdurazaq Mohamed Al-Shebahi told the Libya Herald, “they just wanted to maintain security after the passenger had a fight with members of the plane’s crew”.

Some airport sources, however, say that the plane was held up by a distraught passenger wielding a gun. The man had reportedly been intending to take his sick mother for treatment in Tunisia on a Buraq flight, but arrived too late to catch the plane.

The rest

It looks like the original story could be wrong??

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Sounds like an overzealous reporter ran with it and didn't fact check. Typical for what they call reporting anymore.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I found an article from a Libyan news source and it appears a passenger got unruly & that there were no armed groups hijacking the plane. Happens in the US quite a bit.

Passenger rage causes airport security scare

www.libyaherald.com...

An angry passenger caused a security scare at Tripoli International Airport in the early hours of this morning, after an argument with crew on a Benghazi-bound flight turned ugly.

Crew on the Buraq Air flight called in airport security to help when the passenger became violent on board the aircraft, according to the Ministry of Defence. The security response to the incident then sparked rumours in the local press and on social media networking.

“It is not true that an armed group stormed the runway,” spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence, Abdurazaq Mohamed Al-Shebahi told the Libya Herald, “they just wanted to maintain security after the passenger had a fight with members of the plane’s crew”.

Edit: I see the OP beat me to it! ^
edit on 2-9-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Interesting news event..

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Funny about the Tunisia link, and something about the culture here, when someone says they need to cross the border to get medical treatment for their mom, most the time its a lie. I know because my ex boyfriend said the same thing to cross the Jordanian border to come see me and had to bribe border officials to do so. Interesting that Tunisia just had 49 inmates breakout of prison too and the Algerians just moved 12,000 troops to the border of Tunisia. I don't think the official story is true. There is more going on.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by piequal3because14

898 was most likely a simple transponder error. They went for another code, and put in 7500 instead. You don't throw up a 7500 and then continue on like nothing is wrong like that. If they missed a frequency change they may have been going for 7600 and just missed. It doesn't happen often with a 7500, but wrong codes do happen quite often.

There have been cases in the past where the pilot twiddled the wrong dial and caused a major security alert. If anything the "I'm being hijacked" signal should be a shielded button recessed into the box rather than a twiddly dial.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join