It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If everybody loved would there be no love

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
If everybody loved would there be no love. There would be no hate to contrast the love. Imagine if one day we all suddenly stopped hating and loved. Total peace. No war. No fighting. No hatred. slowly we would begin to forget what loving something truly is. within a few generations and the people who once experienced hate had all died off and nobody left on earth had experienced hate then how would anyone know what love was with out knowing hate.
There must be ying and yang. the Ying being hate and yang being love. A balance must occur to ensure love.

Just my thoughts and had to write them down while they were still in my head

edit on 2-9-2013 by icanhearmusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I would agree with this except that feeling neutral towards a person
is also possible, as is slightly disliking them, one extreme or the other
is not necessary. Oh and only a sith deals in absolutes.....

But overall your statement is useful, having contrast is required for
appreciation.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Interesting question, and you're right about needing a frame of reference to appreciate polar opposites. But "love" and "hate" are such abstract, intangible states of mind that we'll never realistically know. These feelings aren't clear and cut in their definitions; there are varying degrees and types of love and hate...and we feel it differently towards say, our family, our friends, our partners, our neighbors etc.

On the other hand, if everybody started hating, what would happen? Would they forget what hate was all about and just stop hating? I think real-world situations have shown that continuous hate only breeds more hate.

I'd like to think that transitioning between the various stages, nuances, and degrees of love would only breed more love, and that it would be enjoyed on many levels...you know, so it wouldn't get boring

edit on 2-9-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by icanhearmusic

Problems are not always created by hate. There are a lot of challenges in this world, including but not limited to diseases, floods, hurricanes, heartbreaks, disabilities, etc. This world has never been a very cosy place for human beings. Maybe some extra hate is created artificially because people run away from natural challenges in favor of greater comfort and less danger in the cities.
edit on 2-9-2013 by mrkeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by icanhearmusic
If everybody loved would there be no love. There would be no hate to contrast the love. Imagine if one day we all suddenly stopped hating and loved. Total peace. No war. No fighting. No hatred. slowly we would begin to forget what loving something truly is. within a few generations and the people who once experienced hate had all died off and nobody left on earth had experienced hate then how would anyone know what love was with out knowing hate.
There must be ying and yang. the Ying being hate and yang being love. A balance must occur to ensure love.

Just my thoughts and had to write them down while they were still in my head

edit on 2-9-2013 by icanhearmusic because: (no reason given)

The myth for the need of "balance" in all things is a fallacy. Love and hate are not examples of this. You can not have too much love or too little hate. The world would keep spinning just fine without hate. If the word "love" loses the definition, so be it. It will still exist and simply be the new way to exist.

We would always know what hate is whether or not it existed. There are plenty of things that don't currently exist but we understand it just fine and would rather avoid having them even though we don't have the benefit of first-hand knowledge (comets hitting Earth, Godzilla, rain with rubix cubes instead of water, etc)

Trust me, if we stopped all the hate, there isn't some distant galaxy that will implode to make up for the imbalance. It simply isn't necessary. Yin and Yang were not meant to balance out "good" and "bad". You should always have less bad and more good. People who tell you otherwise are usually selfish pricks who want to feel they are keeping the world in balance when they treat others like garbage.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

They would know it. It would be "felt". It just wouldn't have the main focus.

We know what air is and that is all around. You don't need to think about it. The breathing happens naturally. If the love happens naturally, there will be no need to fight against a form of "violence". It would already be gone, leaving space to do way more things.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Actually fear is the opposite of love, not hate. Hate is usually born of fear. True pure hate is very rare and if you look deep enough, fear is usually the culprit.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by myn4m3

Fear is the opposite of Excitement, not love.

Fear (to be scared to embrace something) is the opposite of Excitement (to be eager to embrace something)

Hatred (to not like something and wish harm) is opposite of Love (to like something and wish wellness)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
There would be different intensities of love. For example, at the grocery love+2 might be felt. At work love+3, at the parents house love+9. Coming home and seeing one's partner love+11 might be felt, the only object of affection that can go beyond 10. All alone and it would be love again.

And there is love in the afterlife as well, heaven can't exist without it.
edit on 2/9/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The definition of "Love" is very subjective in our would, so I think your question is very difficult to answer.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
There definitely would be at least one of us to lose their house and half of their belongings.
edit on 2-9-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

There would be love but there would be no appreciation for it. Hate and negative influence and thoughts are what drives a human consciousness to succeed. We would be a society without will drive and determination... We would in essence be of animalistic instinct.

top topics

join