It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't A White Man Play Martin Luther King Jr,?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter42
This is not a money making production. It is a community college, beholden to the state. I came to learn there, and I felt betrayed when I was given the role of "Young Man" with one line.

It's a real double standard she's allowing to continue. If you did a play where people of every nationality came together, and acted it out, regardless of race, I bet it'd be good, as long as they were capable actors. I personally would not mind a black Batman.

I think a black General Lee would be interesting aswell, but the actor would have to be very serious indeed. You see, General Lee believed slavery was immoral. He was twisted up inside, divided by his duty to the South, and his morals. I think an African American would have that sort of duality in them as well, playing a figure who was so involved in the civil war on the side of the confederacy.

I feel like this experience with racial discrimination actually makes me more qualified to play King. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being blasted with fire hoses, but it's a sad thing to be judged on your skin color.

People are too stuck in primitive tribe-think mentality, where they only care about people like them. But Doctor King actually gave a crap. He cared so much for his fellow man that he died for it, shot by the Government, or a bigot, depending on who you believe.

So it goes...

A community college that is beholden to the state? I have news for you: you will never get that role.

Welcome to America.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

You have a good point.
I acknowledge that there would be some individuals that would be upset if this news hit the media or was somehow blown out of proportion.
The fact he has already contacted the ACLU in this matter does not help the situation.
I am mainly perplexed by the idea that an external actor must be brought in. No one could fill this role? When I was in High School my drama teacher had us play roles that would be just as controversial as this pairing. It was understood that unless someone actively complained, then the whole class could continue casting people in that way.

This is a school, I just don't don't see how any performance here would even be cast according to a physical attribute of the original person being played. The only obligation this teacher has is to imbue an individual with the skills necessary to act professionally.

EDIT: I just saw that this will be performed in a public forum. Justified or not op, I am afraid I agree with ProfessorChaos. The climate out there is simply too charged.
edit on 29-8-2013 by Negotium of Verum because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2013 by Negotium of Verum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Negotium of Verum

You have a good point.
I acknowledge that there would be some individuals that would be upset if this news hit the media or was somehow blown out of proportion.
The fact he has already contacted the ACLU in this matter does not help the situation.
I am mainly perplexed by the idea that an external actor must be brought in. No one could fill this role? When I was in High School my drama teacher had us play roles that would be just as controversial as this pairing. It was understood that unless someone actively complained, then the whole class could continue casting people in that way.

This is a school, I just don't don't see how any performance here would even be cast according to a physical attribute of the original person being played. The only obligation this teacher has is to imbue an individual with the skills necessary to act professionally.

I fully agree that race shouldn't matter, but unfortunately, it does.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'll never get it with that negative attitude.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'll never get it with that negative attitude.

Well, good luck with that. I may be too old to wear those rose-colored glasses that you have on. (and I don't mean that sarcastically, I may really be too jaded to see this one working out for you.)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I did not mention names to the ACLU, either, before you paint me as some sort of monster. I asked them for their advice and opinion on the subject. They said that while rare, it does occasionally happen. I hate the phrase, "reverse racism". All racism is racism. But they're sending me a packet, and depending on how things go, I may send it in.

She kept talking about my skin color. That was got me so infuriated. It was like, what, it's not racist to say those things to me because I am white and therefore am invulnerable to racial persecution? No. That's real hinky.

We all should be equal. But true equality is a two way street.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

She kept talking about my skin color. That was got me so infuriated. It was like, what, it's not racist to say those things to me because I am white and therefore am invulnerable to racial persecution? No. That's real hinky.

We all should be equal. But true equality is a two way street.

That is one thing that I hope you're able bring light to out of all of this.

By the way, I don't think you're some kind of monster, I just disagree with what you think the world is really like.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The entire point of ACTING CLASS, is to learn how to act.
I studied with Sande Shurin in NY. Look her up. She let me do the Mel Gibson road warrior character one time.
Rejection has nothing to do with the art of acting.
Rejection is learning the BUSINESS end of it, not the craft.

Any a ting coach worth their snuff, doesn't see color or sex. YOU JUST ACT

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
The entire point of ACTING CLASS, is to learn how to act.
I studied with Sande Shurin in NY. Look her up. She let me do the Mel Gibson road warrior character one time.
Rejection has nothing to do with the art of acting.
Rejection is learning the BUSINESS end of it, not the craft.

Any a ting coach worth their snuff, doesn't see color or sex. YOU JUST ACT

He's not dealing with an acting coach. He's dealing with an acting teacher/ director.
And the teacher let him read the part. Just wont cast him in the role.
edit on 29-8-2013 by randomtangentsrme because: added second line

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
In most cases, I would agree with the teacher on this, but since it is an acting class and there are no other black students in the class, this is kind of ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I think for student theater the race shouldn't be important, and playing someone of a different race can be part of the learning experience, and can actually heighten the message of Dr. King that race shouldn't matter but the content of a person's character.

Suspension of disbelief is not all that matters for interesting theater and the questions it can raise.
There's also Brecht's V-effect and deliberately playing with disbelief.
Film appeals to a much wider audience, and mostly strives to be naturalistic.
But for theater I think your teacher could be missing a chance to do something quite radical, but perhaps she is herself frighten of controversy.

edit on 29-8-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
For the first 30 years of movies,
white actors played almost all
non white roles including
black characters. This tradition
continued well into the sound era
though American Indian and Asian
characters made up most of the portrayals.

Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll,
two white men who worked in the then
young medium of radio created two
immortal black characters: Amos and Andy.

I am of the opinion that if the character
is white or black then they should
be portrayed in kind.

Political correctness should not play a part
in casting decisions.

edit on 29-8-2013 by BillChanger because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2013 by BillChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BillChanger

I'll admit: I'll have to be very careful about this.

But this is something I really want to do. I believe in it. I know it sounds crazy, but, hey, this is the forum to vent crazy stuff. I believe in Doctor King's message. And I mourn his passing, but celebrate his life.

I have a dream: And that dream is for people to not even consider race. When you go into a government census, there is no box mark that asks if you're American, Alaskan, African, or Australian.

That we consider people not on their skin color, or gender, or creed of any manner.

I want Doctor King's dream to come true. I want to go to the mountain top, and see the promised land. But alas, he went too soon.

I wonder what he would have accomplished had he lived even a year longer.

Truly a great man, and the world will mourn his loss, but more so, remember him, as a figure of near-myth. The American Gandhi, preaching non-violence, and equality amongst men. What could be a better message than that?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It is BS and you should still call the ACLU because we all know if a black guy wanted to play James Earl Ray and was told the same thing you were Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be in front of a camera crying about it before the class was over.
Sure she let you read for it after class but she initially did give you another reason for not getting the part. Just do it, if not for yourself do it for the lulz.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

I don't know. I don't want to alienate myself from the class.

There are two options:
[
1.: Just push this thing to the limit.

2.: Save face, and just yield.
]

But I don't want to just yield. I believe in what I'm doing. I believe in the words that he spoke.

I might be crazy. I've distinctly considered that possibility. But my moral core is just telling me to ride the line and put my damndest effort into this thing.

Is that wrong? Am I behaving irrationally here? That's a possibility.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

this is just another case of divide and conquer, they got you spending all this time and energy on some sort of worthless crusade. They have made you think this is a worthwhile task that is going make a difference, once you '"have stood up for you rights"

Really you wont change anything and The Powers That Be will have more person that is putting there time and energy in to something other than Powers that be business. It a case of smoke and mirrors. Just walk away.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Think about it this way, if a minority student got turned down from some position at a school function JUST because of his skin color, would anyone think its a pointless silly move?
Colleges have already started turning down people because they were white, don't let this this "okay to be racist against white people" mentality in your school to.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I know, but I'm afraid to speak out. I don't want the teacher to resent me. There is a 50 point grade deduction for "temper", which I'm afraid I might run afoul of. I feel I have a legitimate issue, though, and I've been polite to her. I felt disappointed, but it wasn't until I was driving home and really considered what she said and how she said it that I got mad.

I like Acting Class... But this is an important issue, Maybe I'm Don Quixote here, but I really feel like I'm in the right here. That I ought to stand my ground, and try my best to convince her as kindly as I can. If she decides that I am guilty of "temper" and decides to deduct fifty points from my grade, well, then the ACLU papers come out.

But I also don't want to possibly ruin a woman's career over what is I believe a temporary lapse in judgement.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I know, but I'm afraid to speak out. I don't want the teacher to resent me. There is a 50 point grade deduction for "temper", which I'm afraid I might run afoul of. I feel I have a legitimate issue, though, and I've been polite to her. I felt disappointed, but it wasn't until I was driving home and really considered what she said and how she said it that I got mad.

K, first off don't get mad. Just get a hold of the ACLU and state your case. Your teacher wont get her career ruined, they are union and are impossible to fire. Look it up, you can find crazy stuff teachers do and keep their jobs.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Geez dude
that's hectically unfair
I mean, really, get a life! I can't believe they're bringing in someone just coz a portrayal of DR king "should be black".

No further comment... we all know how petty and wrong your teachers decision is.
All the best

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join