It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't A White Man Play Martin Luther King Jr,?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

As soon as they portray a major hero that is white by an actor that is not, then watch and see the outrage, just like my comparison in a previous post, imagine casting Denzel as George S. Patton, or George Washington what will you have to say about that?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Or a woman playing George Washington.

Which she's cast.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter42
Or a woman playing George Washington.

Which she's cast.

Gender reversals are quite standard. Race reversals for historical figures are not to be done. You can look up Will smith for superman role, if you want to see how aware professional actors are for roles to take.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Hey, it is the same reason a black guy would never be able to play a Norse god, like Heimdall.

Oh wait, that already happened in the major motion picture called Thor.

In our society, is more acceptable for blacks to play white roles than the other way around. Look at blackface.

Do you see any outrage about whiteface?

Nope. It should be obvious that those who control media, and thereby influence those "learned" coaches have a clear agenda.

OP, you have seen it in action personally.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I believe a lot of you are missing the OP point.
Dr. King, who I respect greatly talked about dreams of a truly color blind nation. Which I also wish for. Which apparently can't exist in OP acting class, on this forum, or in this nation.
With that in mind perhaps if the teacher of this class were a bit less racist, a bit more open minded, and a bit more respectful of Martin Luther King Jr. then she would not have made such decsicions, would not have worried as much about the audiences' acceptance of a white man giving the infamous "I have a dream" speech.
For is it not possible and well that a white man have the same dreams and goals?
If it is then that is what Dr. King dreamed about and would have never protested someone portrayting him in a reencactment.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

You'll be advocating for a white guy to play Michael Jackson next!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I would file a lawsuit because its racist. Actors have played women, mythical creatures, and animals as well as historical figures. The teacher is denying you something based on your skin color.If this got pulled on a black acting student for wanting to play, say, Isaac Newton, OMG, the media and Rev. Sharpton would descend on that school in a frenzy.A good example comes to mind. Its funny to me that a black man is allowed to play a Norse God in the movie Thor, and when people pointed out that it was ludicrous as there were no Africans in Scandinavia in ancient times, not to mention the fact that Norse gods are traditionally blond hair blue eyes, etc, they were branded as racist. Why is there such a double standard?

edit on 31-8-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Your just gonna have to live with the fact that a black man, can play a white person, but not the other way around.
Racism is okay today aslong as it is black against white, and not white against black.

Just like how its okay for a black man to be proud of being black, but wrong for a white man to be proud of being white.

Thats just how it is. Not that I like it.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It's stories like this that remind me just how quickly the illusions are falling down.

Thank you for sharing this... the best tools we have for healing and moving on are mirrors.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

While I see your point and understand why you take issue with your instructor's decision, it must also be said that you have failed to learn the most important lesson of acting class...well two actually: A) the director is ALWAYS right, B) there are no small roles only small actors.

Get over it and move on. To be a successful actor you must develop a very thick skin. Think of this as a golden opportunity to start doing so.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Same reason Jean Claude Van Dame didn't play Bruce Lee. It's stupid. White dude play white dude, black chick play black chick, and so on. White guy acting like Dr. King is as stupid as a black dude acting like a President!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

Well technically Obama is mixed, so you're half right with that lol.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

But isn't that a fictional movie? Arent most of these god's myths? What the op is trying to do is get a role, for a factual person. I guess Oprah should play as Martha Stewart...........

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
When considering Dr. King, one must consider his message. He was killed for it, as were many other black brothers and sisters for standing up for what was right, against all odds. RFK supported Dr. King, I'd argue more than JFK did. He was killed also. White privileged Irish American guy. So? In death wtf is the difference if you're standing up for the same thing. Many posters here are caught in racial definitions as they are NOW. Dr. King didn't think that way. Neither did RFK. Or MJ for that matter. I believe if the heart is in the right place, it matters not the color of yr garment. Sticking up for the right thing is the right thing. # the brainwashed masses if they can't comprehend that. That may be the problem in of itself, no? Some are willing to give their all, despite the narrow mindedness of those around them. Some are looking towards the future. It may seem crass or arrogant to you, but maybe you're not thinking 4th dimensionally, Marty!!! BTTF, WTF??

--MJ

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Besides, those that have "evolved" (heh, winkys Darwin
) have moved beyond your temporal definitions of race. Those that are free are free, and if you can't understand THAT, it's YOUR problem, not his.

---MJ

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MJMEochaid7

I give you this, fer yr consideration. Ponder it.

I bet a compassionate and loving white man could speak out & make change for the rights of black people not to mention all people in the name of Dr. King way better than Obama has done during his years as President.

Oh?

OHHHHH!!!!

Wanna make a bet? I'm a pretty good gambler. Heh.

The 4th Beastie,
MJ

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nake13

Indeed.

--MJ

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
You can't play Dr King because you are white, plain and simple. Dr. King was trying to bring equality between whites and blacks, you are white so it looks stupid. While you are argument is valid, you are the wrong race to play Dr. King. That would be like a German playing a Jewish concentration camp inmate while a Jewish guy plays the German guard, stupid!!
edit on 31-8-2013 by chishuppu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well I guess, this is when I think "play" is the word in question that must be considered. This is a play. On stage, yes it would probably be awkward for a white man to play Dr. King.

That being said, a white man with the right mind and heart could carry forth Dr. King's message with love and compassion in the "real world".

But wtf is real, my friends? Wtf indeed.

---MJ

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join