It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chelyabinsk Meteorite - Shot Down By Missile After All? NEW FINDINGS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Summary:

Platinum which is used for coating missile nose cones has been found in "unusual" amounts in Chelyabinsk Meteorite's fusion crust.

From new article published on phys.org on Aug 26:

Surprisingly, the IGM team also found small quantities of platinum group elements in the meteorite's fusion crust...

...its presence is unusual as the fusion crust is formed over too short a time period for these elements to easily accumulate. "Platinum group elements usually occur as trace elements dispersed in meteorite minerals, but we found them as a nanometer-sized mineral (100-200 nm) in a metal-sulfide globule in the fusion crust of the Chelyabinsk meteorite," explains Dr Sharygin. "We think the appearance (formation) of this platinum group mineral in the fusion crust may be linked to compositional changes in metal-sulfide liquid during remelting and oxidation processes as the meteorite came into contact with atmospheric oxygen."

Chelyabinsk meteorite had previous collision or near miss

Platinum...

...is used for coating missile nose cones, jet engine fuel nozzles, etc., which must perform reliably at high temperatures for long periods of time.
link

Which brings us back to some interesting rumours from earlier this year (Huffington Post from Feb 15):

...a Russian news website published claims that the meteorite was shot down by the government to prevent further harm.

Russia Today reported that an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement may have blown the meteorite to pieces at about 20 km above the Earth.

The rumour originated with the local Znak newspaper, quoting a military source - though it cannot and has not been verified.

The source said the vapor condensation trail of the meteorite showed it had been intercepted by a missile.

Russian Meteor: Conspiracy Theorists Claim Meteorite Was Shot Down By Military Missile

More Chelyabinsk meteorite skunk work musings:

Russia/China: Record Floods After Joint Military Exercises In Meteor Hit Chelyabinsk - A Connection?
edit on 29-8-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Either Russia has a Missle shield in place for incoming Nuclear warheads, and decided to test its operations on an incoming Metorite, or the Missle Unit got extremely lucky, and the decision to fire was done in a matter of a second or so.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
wouldnt the russian military tell eveyone how many lives they just saved
also they would want to show other countries what they can do
why would they keep it secret

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
According to the article, the meteorite was subject to intense heating before it entered the atmosphere. It says that it probably came too close to the sun.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MindBodySpiritComplex

Could be that we are being protected. The same thing could have blown up the Tunguska meteorite.

History of the mystery caldrons...

www.realufos.net...

They may be placed on all the planets and the moon, something seem to blow up Elenin also.
There was a flash from Jupiter when Elenin broke up.

Are we extremely lucky a lot of the time as we are missed by all the stuff out there or protected forma lot of it by secret stuff left here by the watchers maybe maintained still by them.
en.wikipedia.org...(angel)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I wouldn't exclude it but then again I seldom exclude anything...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
Either Russia has a Missle shield in place for incoming Nuclear warheads, and decided to test its operations on an incoming Metorite, or the Missle Unit got extremely lucky, and the decision to fire was done in a matter of a second or so.

Considering the meteorite was travelling at a speed of AT LEAST 35,000 Mph...i'd say it was either a REALLY lucky shot, or else the Russians have developed some very serious missile technology.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MindBodySpiritComplex

I have seen pictures and videos depicting the final moments of that meteorite and I have not seen any indication that a missile was used to intercept it. What I mean by saying “ not seen any indication”, is that I saw no visible trail of a rocket propelled missile.

If indeed a missile used, it would have needed to be of significant size to provide sufficient energy to break the mass up and you would think that would make it all the more visible.

I still think its angle through the atmosphere reached a critical point where the resistance was sufficient to destroy it.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You can beat a dead horse, but it still won't get up.

Such as it is with this "theory." The meteor was traveling way too fast for any known missile to intercept it.

Now, if you want to say it was hit by a UFO or a laser, railgun, etc., I'll spend more time on my counter argument, but as your headline goes, I've said too much already.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777

Russia has had a missile shield in place for years.

It protects Moscow.

Google A-35 and A-135.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
There are already several youtube videos that show a possible missile hitting the meteor, here is one:

edit on 31-8-2013 by jrod because: fix link

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
RU wishes they could do something like that. Maybe a lil disinfo to be gained...?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Or, and this is really out there, the Platinum came in the meteorite.

In the course of the past twenty years, the writer has made a special study of the platinum content of meteorites. Practically complete analyses, including platinum, have been made of 29 falls, comprising 19 siderites, 9 aërolites, and one pallasite (siderolite). An extremely interesting fact brought out by these analyses is that platinum was present in every instance. Possibly of even more interest is the fact that the meteorites with high nickel content were found to contain much more platinum than those with low nickel content. Following are some representative assays: siderites containing about 16% of nickel yielded about 119 parts per million of platinum; siderites with 6% to 8% of nickel contained about 14 parts per million of platinum; while aërolites containing a little over 1% of nickel contained about 1.7 parts per million of platinum. While there are some exceptions to these ratios, the general uniformity is striking.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
edit on 8/31/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

The video looks like it has a small glare from the window that it was shot out of. If it was a missile hit then it should have been seen from every video of the meteorite flying through the atmosphere, and not just this one. Added to this Putin would have been boasting about how Russia's superior missile defense system can protect the world (yeah, tell me that guy wouldn't be all over the news bragging about the missile shot).

On the other hand if the headline said, " Russian Laser shoots down Chelyabinsk Meteorite, Millions saved through Putin's Super Weapon!" then maybe a case could be made, but a missile strike doesn't seem possible given all the footage of the meteorite not showing a missile.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Guyfriday

Never said I thought a missile hit the asteroid, just wanted to share the youtube video. There several more similar videos out there.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Oh sorry about that, I was replying to you since you posted the video. I should have just replied to the thread instead.

top topics

join