It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
This story makes me sick
Fellow Veterans, supporters, boycott Big I’s Restaurant in Oxford, Massachusetts!!!
How DARE the owner deny service to a handicapped person!!!

When James Glaser stepped into Big I’s Restaurant in Oxford, Massachusetts with his service dog Jack, he was quickly told to leave in no uncertain terms.

Glaser, a 41-year-old Air Force veteran, was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder in November of 2011 when he retired and says that he does not leave his house without Jack by his side.

The veteran explained what happened to WHDH 7 News, “I hear, ‘Get that fake service dog out of my restaurant!.’”

The next quote makes my blood boil

“I said, ‘I have his certification paperwork right here. He’s not fake, he’s 100% legit.’ He like, ‘I don’t give a [expletive]. I don’t have time for that. Get out of my restaurant.’”

I hope this idiot, Russell Ireland, the owner of Big I's, loses ALL his customers and has to shut down.
This guy is a piece of crap!!

Story

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Seriously fast way to get your business shut down due to bleeding customers like a sieve.

The guy's shameful, to say it nicely, and I'd rather have a meal with that vet and his dog any day before I'd even give that owner the time of day.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
let me start by saying i don't agree with it

now, there was recently a topic about a photographer refusing to take pictures of a Lesbian wedding because she didn't believe in same sex marriage, earlier there was a topic about a Cake shop refusing to make a celebration cake for a Gay couples wedding, in both those topics multiple people said the store has the right to refuse service and it's not discrimination, and the Couples were pushing an agenda by taking legal action etc

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
let me start by saying i don't agree with it

now, there was recently a topic about a photographer refusing to take pictures of a Lesbian wedding because she didn't believe in same sex marriage, earlier there was a topic about a Cake shop refusing to make a celebration cake for a Gay couples wedding, in both those topics multiple people said the store has the right to refuse service and it's not discrimination, and the Couples were pushing an agenda by taking legal action etc

I agree fully with you. Discrimination is stupid and bad for business - But you cant run someone else's business for them. Im Gay but i wouldnt really be offended if someone refused me service on those grounds, i'd laugh, take pity on them and get on with the rest of my life.

sorry to hear about this Vet's ordeal, but move on. Plenty of other restaurants!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Probably not going to be popular with my opinion, but I agree that dogs shouldn't be allowed into anywhere where food is being prepared or eaten, regardless whether it's a junk yard hound or Lassie.
(Imagine a rat wandering around a restaurant but being told it was okay because it was a service rat, it's still a rat)
I'll reluctantly make a concession for guide dogs, but anything beyond that is a no-no for me.
edit on 28-8-2013 by TheOutcast because: to do editing type stuff.

edit on 28-8-2013 by TheOutcast because: to edit.

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

Except that he is technically disabled, and has a service dog. Service dogs are allowed to go into any business, under the ADA. This is like telling someone they can't go into your store without their wheelchair, because they might run over someone's foot. The only time a service dog can be excluded from the premises is when they appear to be out of control, or they may disrupt operations, such as barking in a movie theater. Generally restaurants are not included in that list.

1. Q: What are the laws that apply to my business?

A: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed.

4. Q: What must I do when an individual with a service animal comes to my business?

A: The service animal must be permitted to accompany the individual with a disability to all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. An individual with a service animal may not be segregated from other customers.
5. Q: I have always had a clearly posted "no pets" policy at my establishment. Do I still have to allow service animals in?

A: Yes. A service animal is not a pet. The ADA requires you to modify your "no pets" policy to allow the use of a service animal by a person with a disability. This does not mean you must abandon your "no pets" policy altogether but simply that you must make an exception to your general rule for service animals.
6. Q: My county health department has told me that only a guide dog has to be admitted. If I follow those regulations, am I violating the ADA?

A: Yes, if you refuse to admit any other type of service animal on the basis of local health department regulations or other state or local laws. The ADA provides greater protection for individuals with disabilities and so it takes priority over the local or state laws or regulations.

www.ada.gov...

This is NOT the same as refusing to take pictures at a Lesbian wedding.
edit on 8/28/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/28/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

i was referencing it to make a point, refusing to take the pictures because they are a Same sex couple is discrimination under law, and multiple people said a store has the right to refuse service,

a man gets told to leave a restaurant because his animal, so that would mean this restaurant has the right to refuse service?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOutcast
Probably not going to be popular with my opinion, but I agree that dogs shouldn't be allowed into anywhere where food is being prepared or eaten, regardless whether it's a junk yard hound or Lassie.
(Imagine a rat wandering around a restaurant but being told it was okay because it had served in Iraq, it's still a rat)
I'll reluctantly make a concession for guide dogs, but anything beyond that is a no-no for me.

Your shoe is much more likely to be a source of disease than a dog! Domestic dogs live in the same environment as humans, so why should they be considered to be of more risk?
It's a known fact that people who live with dogs tend to be more healthy than those who dont keep dogs!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Whilst I agree that this is pathetic of the owner , I need to point out that I do not like the way I`m having this man`s service background slammed in my face as if he is more important than anyone else simply because he was in the forces . Obviously written that way to stir up emotions and "rally the troops" , a shame really because the story is big enough without the whole "patriot" string pulling routine .

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

You have the right to refuse service, as long as it doesn't break the law. Under the ADA service and comfort dogs are required to be allowed admittance into businesses. He's not allowed to refuse service because of the dog. He can refuse service for other reasons, such as the man is being disruptive, or he was only half dressed, etc. But he can not throw the man out because he has a dog, or prevent him from entering his business because of the dog.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by TheOutcast
(Imagine a rat wandering around a restaurant but being told it was okay because it had served in Iraq, it's still a rat)

Your shoe is much more likely to be a source of disease than a dog! Domestic dogs live in the same environment as humans, so why should they be considered to be of more risk?
It's a known fact that people who live with dogs tend to be more healthy than those who dont keep dogs!

To be fair dogs lick their ballz , roll around in mud , and generally mess themselves up at every available opportunity ........ that`s why they require a lot of care and attention .... but dogs that have a role such as guide dogs etc. are usually very well trained and cleaned on a regular basis as apposed to your average fun loving ball licking bullet-hole sniffing mutt . As an owner of a restaurant I wouldn`t want any animals at all through my doors to be honest , saying that , I wouldn`t be greasy enough to own a restaurant and charge stupid amounts of money for little portions of crap.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

edit on 28-8-2013 by TheOutcast because: messed up the quote thingy

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthiestJesus
Whilst I agree that this is pathetic of the owner , I need to point out that I do not like the way I`m having this man`s service background slammed in my face as if he is more important than anyone else simply because he was in the forces . Obviously written that way to stir up emotions and "rally the troops" , a shame really because the story is big enough without the whole "patriot" string pulling routine .

There's a war coming, gotta get the people onside with the troops. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot more of these sort of stories start appearing.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Do you have a link showing evidence to back your claim of this "known fact"?
Peer per view paper etc?
Also, my shoe may have more germs/bacteria etc, but my shoe doesn't sneeze, cough, lick it's genitals or shake itself in public, not that I'm aware of anyway.

reply to post by VoidHawk

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by TheOutcast

www.cdc.gov...
abcnews.go.com...
voices.yahoo.com...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The crux of those links is that increased exercise and social interaction are beneficial to health, walking/owning a dog is only one of many ways to achieve this.
Taking a dog into a public place where food is prepared and eaten, in my opinion, is irresponsible.
I was under the impression you were implying that dogs, including their germs etc were beneficial to humans.
The last link kind of proves my point that there is a risk of infection from pets, including dogs.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOutcast

Dogs are no more dirty than people are. In fact their mouths are so much cleaner than a human mouth is. Exercise does help a lot, but the mere fact of owning a dog has been shown to lower blood pressure and have other health benefits. Ask patients in hospitals that get visited by dogs how much better they feel afterwards (it even shows on their charts when the dogs where there).

The dog isn't going near where the food is prepared, and being near where the food is eaten is no worse than having a dog in the home. People keep dogs in their homes all the time and rarely get sick from them, even though they're in the kitchen and at the dinner table.

Regardless, the law is clear that this dog is a service dog and required for this man to function. This man has every right to go out to dinner, and take his dog with him. The restaurant had no right to refuse him service because of the dog, and he could probably get them closed down if he wanted to sue them.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

reply to post by AthiestJesus

You guys realize this is a SERVICE DOG given to VETERANS...? Right.

That is like you complaining about "blindness" being shoved in your face when speaking about guide dogs....

You dont have to butt hurt over the military. No one is forcing you to participate. BUT considering this is a thread about a DISABLED VETERAN I suggest you deal with it or quit.

edit on 28-8-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
reply to post by khimbar

reply to post by AthiestJesus

That is like you complaining about "blindness" being shoved in your face when speaking about guide dogs....

You dont have to butt hurt over the military. No one is forcing you to participate. BUT considering this is a thread about a DISABLED VETERAN I suggest you deal with it or quit.

edit on 28-8-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

You make no sense at all with this post , and obviously do not understand where I am coming from .

Just because he is a veteran , it doesn't mean I need to worship him and/or see him as more important than an "average citizen" . His background in the forces has absolutely nothing at all to do with this story yet it is mentioned over and over .... it is written that way to reach out to the weak minded , deluded fools who believe that anyone who has been in the armed forces deserves special treatment and god-like status.

The story is big enough (locally) without the addition of all that "patriot" crap ....... and your post kind of supports my statement .

" Deal with it or quit "
.... don`t call me out with your ridiculous response then .

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Yes, I do. It says that in the story at the very top. I'm not sure why you needed to capitalise things to emphasise this point when it's already quite clear.

Yes, it's exactly like that. Totally. But for the small fact that I haven't complained about blindness. Or guide dogs. Or about this man and his dog. But other than that, you're totally accurate. If I had done that thing, which I haven't, it would be totally like the other thing which I also haven't done.

I admit here you have me at a loss. As far as I was aware I didn't 'butt hurt over the military'. Could you please show where I did 'butt hurt' (one can only assume you think I have somewhere) with reference to my posts in this thread.

I agree no one is forcing me to participate. If they do start to, I'll be sure to let you know. Since you seem to worry about that sort of thing.

And what am I supposed to quit? Not saying things which you think I've said, which you then compare to other things I haven't said?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join