It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favourite civilization to study?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
What is your favourite Ancient civilization or lost civilization to study and why?

Its no surprise/shock that mine is Ancient Egypt. As a young teenager, I started trying to self teach myself hieroglyphics, however, I gave in after around 6 months; I do wish I had the willpower to have continued.

I have recently decided to switch Majors from Poli Sci to Anthropology, simply in the hope to advance my knowledge on these ancients.

Would love to hear what civilizations you enjoy studying the most, and why

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephilimsreturn

I too love Ancient Egypt! I always have. When I was younger i use to have dreams about the pyramids giving off light and that all of Egypt had power but it wasn't like the power we have now. I have no idea why I had those dreams but I've been fascinated ever since. I find the history interesting because there is still so much we don't know! It is also a very long history that stretches thousands of years.

I am also very interested in the Sumerians. My interest in the Sumerians is fairly new since joining ATS in 2009. I just basically find that part of the worlds history fascinating and again so many holes that it makes me want to read as much as I can and piece together what i find. '

The last place I enjoy reading about is Ancient India. I became really interested in Ancient India after reading a few of Skyfloatings threads on it and one by BlackPoison. Again it is a civilization that is extremely old and their history leaves a lot to wonder about. I find their "stories" interesting as well. I also tend to think they aren't stories but actual events that have been retold. I think this is true with quite a few ancient stories in various civilizations that have been passed down much like the Bible. I'm not saying i take the bible word for word but i do think parts of it have some truth to it like every other story there is.

I would say those are my top three places of interest.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Ancient Egypt, by far.

Read the Emerald Book of Thoth, it's mindblowing.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Although I am partial to African civilizations mainly because there is so much to discover don't know if I have an absolute favorite but I do like to know what made them tick,I like the story telling ie myths/legends of the far northern peoples Beau wolf,Thor etc did Greek tragedy so I have a soft spot them too.Japanese history has some interesting stuff like how they reworked Chinese and Korean influences and make it their own but until recently no one would officially admit that the Koreans started the Japanese royal dynasty also there was a find of a Roman era artifacts in a Japanese tomb,about a year or so ago maybe it was posted here??..nope just checked nothing posted.
Here is the link someone can make a thread on it I have couple of thread running already.
Japanese Tomb Found To House Rare Artifacts From Roman Empire
www.huffingtonpost.com...
I like the study of powerful females in history also like the Amazons of Eurasia and of the Kingdom of Dahomey,I like to compare Queen Boadicea of the Iceni and Queen Amanishakheto of Kush both fought the Romans some decades apart,but where Queen Boadicea lost the battle and her head after putting up an outstanding resistance,Queen Amanishakheto stopped the armies of Augustus Cesar in it's tracks reversed the tribute imposed earlier and have her nation continued for another 1500yrs..btw I could careless for Cleopatra hopping from one Roman general's bed to another..my daughters or any daughter should patterned themselves after the first two.
edit on 28-8-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Cleopatra gets a bad rap in our times almost to the point of being considered a prostitute; in reality she was a genius who spoke a half dozen languages and was highly skilled in military and policy matters. She also may not have been as beautiful as often depicted; the coins from that era have her face on them and her profile is rather ungainly. It's more likely she seduced men with her intelligence than her looks.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Interesting what you've found out

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome.

The Normans in Northern France. The Vikings.

Sometimes Feudal Japan, sometimes The Chinese Dynasties.

But I think the real winner is Modern America.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Inca, Olmec, Sumerian and the Indus Valley

Finishes his morning cup of coffee and off on another journey of exploration.....

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Good question but far too many possibilities for me!

As per the name, Rome is a huge attraction for me. However, i would love to know more about the Anglo-Saxons. I have read a lot but, to be honest, there is not that much really known which is quite a surprise when you consider the wealth of material on much earlier civilizations.

I would also love to know more about the various Sycthian tribes (Getae, Messagetae) and their later descendents (Huns, Alani, etc). I realise this one though is highly unlikely to ever really get too much knowledge as it generally appears to have been oral tradition, long since deceased.

And obviously, being from York and having an old Norse surname i can never get enough Viking material!

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Prehistoric man .... cavemen ... precave men ... that kind of thing.
Ancient Sumerians and Ancient Egyptians (all of ancient Egypt)

Honorable mention to -
The Spartans were pretty cool. (400 BC)
Ancient Greek at the time of the big philosophers (400 BC)
Northern Celtic Warriors (pre-BC)
The Vikings (~1,000 AD ... I really dig their runes)
Fast forward to the England of Robin Hood time (1200 AD)
I also admire the frontier/pioneer settlers of the USA.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Sumerian, Mu, and Atlantis.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Bronze age Cypriote, the pre-civilization (cultures) of northern Syria

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
To be truthful I enjoy learning about almost any ancient civilization. I do have my favorites though.

The China Dynasties
The Warring States period (475-221) in paticular that fascinate me. The ruthlessness of it all, the strategy's, the intelligent philosophy it's all just fantastical in a way.

I would like to learn more about the Japanese Kamakura period (1185-1333) I wish the college i'm attending would offer some classes on the early Japanese periods, but it does not at present.

I have always found the pyramids fascinating but not so much the Egyptians themselves.

The Caribbean Pirates........ i've had an obsession with Pirates since I was age eight. Perhaps it's the Goonie in me, idk.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I like most old civilizations in general, but greek, Rome, Egypt and Celt i tend to focus on.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Greece, Sparta, Sumerians and ancient China (intensely interested in the martial arts that originated there)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I stick to North American Eastern Woodlands. It may not be on the level of the Valley of the Kings, but I can always get out to do site surveys and test pitting.

edit on 31-8-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: it needed clarity, eh?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

I stick to north American Eastern Woodlands because I can always get out to do site surveys and test pitting.

You bring up a good point. I'm adding whatever I can find in the American south west now!

top topics

join