It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Greanias on Ingress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
For those of you unfamiliar with Ingress, it is an augmented reality game currently in closed testing by google. The premise of the game is that certain areas such as monuments and works of art have clusters of exotic matter which creates portals. Players go out into the world to gather exotic matter and fight over portals.

The story behind the game is deeply steeped in conspiracy theory, and is very well done. It hits all the right conspiracy theory buttons. THere are too many Ingress videos online for me to pick a good one, but the story is pretty engrossing for those who appreciate a good conspiracy.

Now it's confusing enough that the game is based on a conspiracy it's self. but last night on Coast to Coast AM, the author Thomas Greanias who writes a series of fictional books based on this game made an appearance. I've listened to his segment over and over, but I swear he's suggesting that this so called exotic matter mapped out by the game is in actuality a real thing. He even claims it's having an effect on the players.

So here's my question: Is there any validity to the idea that this game is mapping something real? Or did I misunderstand and he's talking about his new book or something?

As Thomas Greanias describes exotic matter found an sacred and artistic sites, it sounds an awful lot what would be expected from the Torsion physics model. Is Google mapping these locations around the globe and experimenting with them through unwitting gamers?

It's really difficult to research this subject when the game it's self is based on conspiracy. If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it.
edit on 24-8-2013 by The Cusp because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2013 by The Cusp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I think it is just a fun game. The "portals" you are mapping is actual point of interest for Google to add to search results and Niantic Labs Field Trip app.

Ingress

What does Google hope to achieve? The game is highly addictive. I’ve been playing for the Resistance since I got my invite in November. It gets people out of their homes, out of their offices, and out to places they may have never been, seeing places they may have never seen. Remember, outside the game, these “portals” are POIs. Getting people to walk or drive to these locations helps Google know the various routes by which they can be reached, and which routes people use at different times of day. Players can also submit suggestions for new portals by sharing geo-tagged photos of new POIs to “NIA Super Ops”. Is this Google’s answer to Four Square? Though we’re not certain, we suspect Google is using the information gathered in the game to make their maps and navigation offerings better and more complete for everyone. Ingress started with portals at works of art (sculptures, etc.), museums, post offices, and fire stations. Since then we’ve seen portals at police stations, memorial sites, and even a local Tasty’s Donuts.

join