It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't the bible considered a historical fairy story?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

I would rather live in a Christian zealot or moderate Jewish society or Buddhist society (in that order) than any atheist society as when you are sick in an atheist society they tend to put you out of your misery and go for a coffee break like you are just an animal, now if that is your belief I have nothing against you but I do not want you running my county or in a position of authority as your moral code is based on a standard without perceived oversight and therefor is likely to fail at the crunch.

What a load of BS.

Sweden and Denmark are countries with some of the best standard of living and guess what? The mayority of the population is atheist in those countries.

You are very fast to judge all atheist as some heartless people. But what about the Catholic priests who raped children?

When you grow up you might learn that people can only be judged by their character, not by generalization.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
i,ll just go with what i said before,if god and jesus existed and all these miracles happened then why has nothing happened since them days of parting the red sea blah blah blah?

seriously everyones believing in a book,love to be around in another thousand years when harry potter is the new god.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Not bashing you or your thread, But I think we know how these arguments play out.

Religious people tend to have only convictions, bible (read between the lines) quotes and disingenuous tactics based off of willfully ignorant misunderstandings of science and the atheist/Agnostic positions aimed to catch you off guard with "gotcha" type questions while avoiding answering anything difficult you ask them.

And of course once you have knocked down all their ammunition they default too...

"well, I know that its real! and one day when you die you'll know. Trust me I know and you will too. All in do time. You'll be sorry. Oh I know. You don't know but i do. You'll see. Just you wait. besides its about faith not facts."

At least that is pretty much what I've seen in regards to debating religion.

I also find it odd that some of these religious people will ask for smoking gun proof of a conspiracy, but ask them to defend their belief structure or religion with facts, and well... that's just out of the question.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 404ed
Not bashing you or your thread, But I think we know how these arguments play out.

Religious people tend to have only convictions, bible (read between the lines) quotes and disingenuous tactics based off of willfully ignorant misunderstandings of science and the atheist/Agnostic positions aimed to catch you off guard with "gotcha" type questions while avoiding answering anything difficult you ask them.

And of course once you have knocked down all their ammunition they default too...

"well, I know that its real! and one day when you die you'll know. Trust me I know and you will too. All in do time. You'll be sorry. Oh I know. You don't know but i do. You'll see. Just you wait. besides its about faith not facts."

At least that is pretty much what I've seen in regards to debating religion.

I also find it odd that some of these religious people will ask for smoking gun proof of a conspiracy, but ask them to defend their belief structure or religion with facts, and well... that's just out of the question.

hit it on the head,there is no actual proof of anything that its claimed,but cause i want to believe that theres no god looking down on us and probably millions of other civilisations out there then i,m the weird one.it really don,t figure.

was going to say theres more probability of life else where than god but theres no probability about it,90% or more of scientists today say same thing so where does that leave religion?
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Most of you believe that those who believe in God are childish but have you ever seen a child at play and when they fight they make up in a second, adults on the other hand are depressed and afraid to enjoy life like a child. We would rather hate someone because he believes in something and when someone sees something and tells you would not believe anyway. This thread is no different and its as if you had no choice to read the threads about God and here you are posting on something you have no interest in.

If flags and stars are all you want I will give you because I will always give and help those in need because that's what the bible teaches me.

God bless my friend.

edit on 24-8-2013 by WarriorOfLight96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

On the Bible being a fictional "fairy story"— Aren't all books of this nature? Pages with words and nothing more.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
By the standards that scientific historians judge ancient documents, the Bible is the most authenticated document from that time or earlier that we have.

That only means that what we have not is pretty much what was written at the time, more surely than any other ancient document. It does not answer for the truth of the original writings.

Calling it "Historical Fiction" (and I'm referring to the New Testament), requires more faith than to believe in God Himself. That style of writing, the inclusion of irrelevant details such as His finger drawing in the sand at the stoning of the woman caught in adultery, had not been invented at that time. To believe that an entirely new style of writng and literature was created by a couple of fisherman, a tax collector and a doctor, is to stretch belief beyond all reasonable bounds.

And the question of "Why?" has not had a satisfactory answer. Why would they lie? Why would they allow themselves to be killed for something they knew to be a lie?

Now if you believe some of the New Testament is factual and some isn't, shouldn't you really answer the question, "Why do you think so?" If it's simply because you don't believe in miracles, that's not really a strong logical argument against them, but perhaps that's for another thread.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

loving the whole one liner aphorism style you have but I don't see what it is you are arguing against.

I don't think anyone can disagree that books are pages with words on them. These particular worded pages happen to be created with symbols with learned meaning that can be interpreted and categorized as factual or not factual in context to the shared reality that we collectively experience in the physical world .
edit on 8/25/13 by 404ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by WarriorOfLight96

I honestly dont think non believers as a majority hate or think the religious are childish. If you have experienced otherwise than that sucks.

I also agree that children can exemplify qualaties that adults should aspire to.

I dont think it's beliefs that people collectively hate but a forcing of ones beliefes on someone else usually through some sort of oppresive politics.

I dont think Having an argument based on the question of religious scripture having some validity in the factual world should be considered offensive as a religious thread. I understand your reaction but this seems to be a fairly harmless thread comparatively.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Because although some of the information is incorrect or simply myths of the truth the majority of it is still relevant to a certain aspect of history.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18

My question is... why not take the bible as a historical fairy story?

If it is not happening now then it is a fairy story.
However, the Bible is not a story about time - it is about the timeless.
Presence.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Why isn't the bible considered a historical fairy story

The Cokeville mystery

The Cokeville Miracle is about an Elementary School hostage crisis that occurred on May 16, 1986, in Cokeville, Wyoming, United States, when former town marshal David Young, and his wife Doris Young, took 167 children and adults hostage at Cokeville Elementary School. David Young entered the school with his wife transporting a large gasoline-filled device that appeared to be a bomb. At one point Doris Young lifted her arm sharply and the bomb went off prematurely, injuring Doris Young while David Young was out of the room. Returning to the scene, David Young shot his wife, then himself. All the hostages escaped, though 79 were later hospitalized with burns and injuries.

Bomb experts remained baffled as the explosive should have leveled the entire building. The children maintain that they were visited by Angels whom told them to remain calm and that they would be saved

Kajama.com

Angels Imprint

Cases like this will always keep the believers believing.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LABTECH767
It is a book of religious belief and believe me I would rather live in a Christian zealot or moderate Jewish society or Buddhist society (in that order) than any atheist society as when you are sick in an atheist society they tend to put you out of your misery and go for a coffee break like you are just an animal, now if that is your belief I have nothing against you but I do not want you running my county or in a position of authority as your moral code is based on a standard without perceived oversight and therefor is likely to fail at the crunch.

Some but not the majority of atheists are benign Humanists but others say that the old/sick/infirm/maladjusted are just a burden that it would be better without.

So was parting the red sea a fair tale well please look at this then explain the proof it is wrong.
www.biblebelievers.org.au...
www.arkdiscovery.com...
www.youtube.com...

I don't know why I try to explain to your mindset as it reminds me of the devil saying to Jesus "If You be the son of God turn these stones into bread".
He said "My own shall come unto me so obviously those of you who do not are not".

Does that go for agnostics too?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
we wish to beliefe in religions couse we are still far of to be civilised enough.... to be an full part of the universe
religion is actuall based on fear....
if you don't do wat priest say you will be doomed forever... tru ore not?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
another bible/god/religion baiting thread........really? do stunted intellects like you just spend your days twiddling your bored thumbs dreaming up ridiculous threads like this? because its obvious you already had your mind made up before you started it.

i think there should be a rating system on here where people judge the legitimacy/genuineness of an OP, because i can guarantee you pathetic threads like this wouldnt last the day...

face yourself OP...you dont want to know any different than what you already believe....youre no better a hypocrite than the christians that betray their faith by their own lack of genuineness......hypocrites all the same

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I have no idea why people believe this pack of rubbish, funny how their great god lets millions of inocents die every year, anyway the answers are here. godisimaginary.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by biggm

how many innocents do you let die because of your lack of willingness to save them by sending all your disposable income to keep them from starving to death? (who knows maybe you do but i doubt it, statistics are not in your favor)

the fact is you dont want to know any different than you already believe. Youre rehashing the ancient 'problem of innocent suffering' thing is just evidence that you really dont have anything solid to base your lack of belief in. You might as well have said 'i dont believe in god because he never popped his head in my door and said peekaboo'. You want god to answer to you on YOUR level and according to YOUR so called reason.....well sorry bub....thats just utterly self centered and ignorant of you.

a much more evolved and honest approach would be that of a person who does believe in god but rejects him anyway based on a disagreement in the way god conducts his business.....i like a quote from 'Fight Club' in this vein of thought:

"Listen to me! You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

Believing in God is no great thing...it doesnt win you any points..doesnt make life any easier....as this verse of THE BIBLE says quite plainly:

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder. James 2:19

So all you guys making such a big deal out of whether or not to believe in God....hahah....well youre in really sorry shape cuz even if you get over the hurdle of belief that still doesnt make you ANY better off than the common demon.

hows that for irony

edit on 25-8-2013 by instigatah because: other thoughts

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

- Talking snake

- Adam lived to be 930 years old.

- Noah lived to be 950 years old.

- Noah's Ark fitting 2 of all animals and surviving for about 5 months.

- Jonah surviving 3 days and 3 nights inside a fish.

- Jesus walking on water.

This are just a few of the absurdities in the bible.

My question is... why not take the bible as a historical fairy story?

Because... The Bible is TRUE... didn't you know its the word of God..

It says so right there in the BIBLE.. plus, millions of people know the bible is true because the bible says so.

And one day, Jesus will return Rufus style one day and that will prove it!

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Why isn't the bible considered a historical fairy story?

Because we only call people 'crazy' when there are a few of them per capita. When millions and billions act crazy, we call it a "religion".

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Because mankind is wired to believe.

But I can understand. Why do so few believe in dragons when many believe in the Bible?
Why is Norse and Greek ancient religion called mythology and Abraham religions called religions?

What makes the Bible that special?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join