It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima Hysteria !!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Could we please get a "Fukushima hysteria" forum..
Seeing all the threads about how things are worse, horrible, catastrophic, Warning warning.. the end is near.. its going SUPppper NOVAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Ohh noes.. I!!!

Its a experiment I tell you.. its a experiment to see how much targeted fear propaganda can affect the public, to see how much power the media have when they work together in small groups, and boy some people eat it up like a cheesecake with chocolate toppings

The thing is... gamma hazard is noticeable, you wouldn't want to take up residence next to the pool of water, but you could work for days around it without breaching normal nuclear-worker health limits and the crews in the vicinity are being rotated regularly. Tepco is pumping all the water back into another tank pending purification, and segregating wet soil from the area. The firm told WNN that it has no indication so far of any water having got into a drainage channel or otherwise left the area.

So this is a pretty minor industrial-waste spill; thousands of more serious accidents occur every single day.

It's not global news. It's not national news. It would barely even be local news, in a sane world.

But it's not a sane world, and the media crusade against nuclear power rolls on

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

Just a minor spill? Wow. Just wow.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

you are BLINDED by the hysteria..
trust me, your fine..
now eat your fish

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

How many people have died from radiation around Fukushima?

Compare to Chernobyl...

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You mean that isn't what the Japan Forum is for? Given the site and the forum's placement for context, it sure isn't there for promotion of tourism. lol...

I do see your point though. Fukushima is bad enough but some recent rumbles about an end to mankind or death to the Northern Hemisphere do boggle the mind for where such things come from.

Some evil criminal or mad scientist would have found a way to cause that long ago if it were this easy to get rid of us all, eh?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Problem is that the "Breaking Alternative News" gets molested daily by Fuuuuukuusihima

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You obviously don't understand the situation. What you should be doing is asking instead of downplaying it. But since your mind is made up, I'm not going to bother.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

You obviously don't understand the situation. What you should be doing is asking instead of downplaying it. But since your mind is made up, I'm not going to bother.

Please explain the end of the world to me then Sir. Doom
I understand enough to know that the media loves scary stories that sell, and they butter it up

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Some evil criminal or mad scientist would have found a way to cause that long ago if it were this easy to get rid of us all, eh?

" Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

They sure did figure it out a while back Wrabbit.

They've slowly been creating a bottle neck ever since.

Fukushima is not some small disasters. Sure, there is plenty of hysteria and overblown hype about HOW bad it is, but it's still bad.

Not only because of the radiation, but also because of the response. The lack of interest by the international community is very telling of how prepared, or ready we are to deal with nuclear disasters.

That scares me, more than the radiation.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well, everything related to discussion with Fukushima needs one big asterix, and always will I suspect. " * Assuming nothing major changes "

So, (*) I'd say it's settled into what can and likely will be a small regional catastrophe over the long term and perhaps the larger region. I take comfort only by the pure maelstrom of currents the Pacific Ocean is for the many many thousands of miles of air distance (100,000's of thousands of miles of swirling water distance) to get to the U.S.. It leaves almost nothing to touch us, to be plain realistic, since there IS a finite amount of source material actually generating radiation. It's a deeeeeeep 'thousands of miles', too.

Having said that... I'll tell ya, I don't know we can judge anything for international response here. The reason being, the international community started to mobilize and move big, remember? In the first couple weeks, things were moving and starting to move from all over. Japan's Government and TEPCO not-so-politely said thanks but NO Thanks, we'll fix it and you stay out.

I really think this would have turned out much differently, had it been a full international effort from day one and with the resources of the world backed by the best minds for the problem. We got the Fukushima 50 instead. Brave BRAVE men...to the last one of them. NOT world class to the task at hand though.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

" Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

They sure did figure it out a while back Wrabbit.

They've slowly been creating a bottle neck ever since.

Fukushima is not some small disasters. Sure, there is plenty of hysteria and overblown hype about HOW bad it is, but it's still bad.

Not only because of the radiation, but also because of the response. The lack of interest by the international community is very telling of how prepared, or ready we are to deal with nuclear disasters.

~Tenth

I would argue that in hindsight, the lack of a body count bolsters the competency of the TEPCO response.

Fukushima was absolutely a worst case scenario that could have dwarfed Chernobyl in terms of human catastrophe yet as far as I know there has not been a single death reported from radiation exposure.

I seem to remember the international response was substantial as well, to the tune of $5 billion U.S....

Following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, Japan received messages of condolence and offers of assistance from a range of international leaders. According to Japan's foreign ministry, 116 countries and 28 international organizations had offered assistance to Japan.

The magnitude of the earthquake was estimated at 9.0.This article is a list of charitable and humanitarian responses to the disaster from governments and non-governmental organizations. As of March 2012, donations to areas affected by the disaster totaled ¥520 billion and 930,000 people have assisted in disaster recovery efforts

Humanitarian response to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami

The U.S. response alone was massive and included a Carrier group...

Operation Tomodachi (トモダチ作戦 tomodachi sakusen?, lit. "Operation Friend(s)") was a United States Armed Forces assistance operation to support Japan in disaster relief following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. The operation took place from 12 March to 4 May 2011, involved 24,000 U.S servicemembers, 189 aircraft, 24 naval ships, and cost $90 million.

Operation Tomodachi

How is that a lack of interest or preparedness, especially when viewed in the light that nobody has died as a result of the multiple reactor meltdowns?

On a side note, love the Oppenheimer quote from the Hindu Bhagavad Gita.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

See, here's what I think.

IF there was some major international disaster, like Fukishima, and a CORPORATION said ' no thanks, were good, we got this" and the countries that were going to effected were like "OK COOL", than that's a MASSIVE failure of leadership.

I would have supported forced assistance for something like that, versus terrorism any day of the week.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Indeed. I've made the suggestion myself that the whole site should have been taken from them by force, if needed, and run with the best the world could offer.

The problem, of course, is that TEPCO and Tokyo have more in common than a bad rhyme. It would have been engaging Japan directly, against their will. I think that is what made it a non-starter for anyone to really consider.

If, say Liberia or say, Indonesia had such a situation of global or at least major regional impact and blew people off, I think we both know they wouldn't have been asked the second time. Just told to stay out of the way to keep from being shot while the world came in. Such a difference for nation it happens in, eh?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The lack of interest by the international community is very telling of how prepared, or ready we are to deal with nuclear disasters.

It shouldn't. As far as I know, peoples opinions don't give rise to cancer. And the "disaster" is not the stuff getting out, rather that the stuff is getting into us.

Its impossible to clean up atoms from the environment. Its impossible for the bodies immune system to see or respond to radioactive elements, just the damage done.

It (will) take time for the build up in our bodies (cumulative) to begin to have noticeable effects. The plethora of different nuclides, "dosage", the individual immune response... among many other factors.

About something being done...

All we can do is to continue to live or lives. Engineers that built these plants knew the dangers involved IF what has happened happens. They also knew that the problem is "containable" as long as the plants are operating. In a worst case scenario they are fully aware that there is nothing to be done once the radioactivity escapes containment. Two different worlds.

If your front lawn is dusted with radioactive contamination, the only thing you can do is scrape it off and take it somewhere "safe" (whatever that means). When the workers show up to "scrape your lawn" they will be wearing protective clothing. The activity of scraping and bagging your lawn will stir up dust that will drift to your neighbors lawn. The truck, the bags the dirt and the clothing and tools used to "clean up" you lawn will all have to be buried somewhere to prevent it getting out (again). Now there are two contaminated places instead of one.

Just "throwing it in the ocean" compounds the problem beyond measure. Which by the way is part of the failsafe design of the plants originally. Like flushing your toilet to take the feces elsewhere.

Sorry about the wind. It is not an easily explained problem.There are too many facets.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

See, here's what I think.

IF there was some major international disaster, like Fukishima, and a CORPORATION said ' no thanks, were good, we got this" and the countries that were going to effected were like "OK COOL", than that's a MASSIVE failure of leadership.

I would have supported forced assistance for something like that, versus terrorism any day of the week.

~Tenth

You would support the military invasion of a sovereign nation because you don't feel they responded properly to their own internal emergencies?

Why?

Because many don't understand radiation and panic needlessly?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

You would support the military invasion of a sovereign nation because you don't feel they responded properly to their own internal emergencies?

Why?

Because many don't understand radiation and panic needlessly?

Big difference between radiation and "Radioactivity". Once the "Radioactive" elements leave the plant, they are everyones "business". So yah, Tepco should have asked for more help instead of covering it up. That is what leads to misunderstanding and confusion. The cover up.

Not that it wasn't already too late after this. By the way, someone keeps removing this video from YouTube. And someone keeps putting it back up. This is the fifth version I have bookmarked. Source was not Tepco originally. If they had their way they would erase it for good.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

dear Spacespider: do you moonlight as a "Crisis Actor"?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pjazeg

dear Spacespider: do you moonlight as a "Crisis Actor"?

Explanation please

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

It's not an internal emergency. Their actions, if they fail, will ripple across the food chain and into our environment.

I don't need a degree in order to figure out that radiation leaking into the ocean, the air and the ground soil of a country isn't good for anybody.

Again, I'm not one of these hysteria folk who believe the world is ending because of this disaster. I'm simply stating that it's far more the responsibility of the international community, to protect the environment at large, than terrorism.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The world is not ending because of Fukushima. I do however think that the pollution is going to creep through the food chain and give a whole boatload of humans cancer.

I could start posting up links to sites that PROVE that Pacific Tuna are coming up with high rad numbers. Yet the OP would still call that local and regional. I for one have given up Tuna, one of my very favorite foods is Sushimi (not to be confused with Sushi) and I have stopped eating it. This is not due to hysteria, this is due to existing scientific research.

Look at the number of people that lived through the 50's only to have the reason for their death to be cancer.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join