It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear meltdown's effect on B.C. fish unclear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Nuclear meltdown's effect on B.C. fish unclear

www.timescolonist.com

Concern is growing that radioactive water from a damaged nuclear plant in Japan could affect fish in B.C.

Karla Robison, Ucluelet’s manager of environmental and emergency services, wants Ucluelet council to ask senior levels of government to support a study of chemicals in fish.

“We could work with local folks who are out fishing to get tissue samples and make sure there are no problems with the fish,” said Robison, who has led much of the on-the-ground response to earthquake debris arriving on the Island. “It’s a very, very important issue and quite frightening,” she said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Tepco said it doesn’t think that water has flowed into the sea, but can’t say for sure. Some of the flooded reactor basements are too hot to approach, and it is still not clear where the melted fuel cores are, or in what state.

Robison wants to see an ecotoxicologist work on a study with local First Nations and is hoping funding could come from the $1 million the Japanese government gave B.C. to help with cleanup of tsunami debris. But the Environment Ministry said that fund is to assist with cleanup, not scientific research.

Are you kidding? Check out the link below. I think that's all the scientific study one needs...

Eat your veggies

www.timescolonist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-8-2013 by RageAgainstFascism because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RageAgainstFascism

That is not scientific study, look at this quote from your link.

CORRECTION: A post on a website in Japan reports that these images aren’t related to the Fukushima disaster. We regret passing along the misinformation.

Be careful what you post

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RageAgainstFascism

Tepco said it doesn’t think that water has flowed into the sea, but can’t say for sure.

More like won't say for sure...

In case of meltdowns the nearby water source becomes an expedient repository. Thats why the plants are built near major bodies of water.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
First of all, I have to point out my deep and abiding loathing for the way territories in the North American continent are identified. Its not B.C. its British Columbia, and I am sick and tired of lazy minded journalists using these two letter identifiers. Its like people WANT to be dumber than they are.

Right, now onto the real stuff. First of all, Fukushima's nuclear plant IS in a massive state of crisis. Tepco and the Japanese government have been typically off hand about announcing the depth of the current crisis, however we need not rely on them for information. Fishermen who used to use the Fukushima fishing grounds, are still having thier stocks re-routed to laboratories for extensive testing. Since the Japanese government will want these people back earning money as soon as possible, the continued testing must mean that these laboratories are finding contamination at levels which are dangerous to human health. Otherwise the fish would be going to market, rather than going to the lab bench.

This means that despite protestations to the contrary by Tepco and the authorities, there is a contamination of the sea occurring, and no wonder. I have been reading up on the current situation for the past three hours on and off, and there are various parrallels between all the stories. They centre around comments like "The situation at Fukushima cannot be contained" and "There are four hundred tonnes of water being cycled out of the reactor every day, theres just no where to store it!", as well as," however bad you think it is, times it by a thousand".

Basically, I think the general opinion of those willing to comment at all, is that the problem is far too damned large to be contained, and the only reason that no official will tell you that, is because they are all afraid of getting lynched.

Further more, there are reports from the USA that fifteen bluefin tuna caught in US territorial waters, were contaminated with caesium. If it is true that contamination has reached that far out to sea, in amounts which are dangerous to human health, then first of all, I am shocked off my rocker. There are more than seven thousand five hundred miles of open sea between Japan and the USA, and thats an awful lot of dispersal and dillution that should be happening. For harmful levels to be found in fish that far out is pretty terrifying. But if thats true, then its not just things like fishing we want to be worrying about. If dangerous levels of radiation have been detected in fish that far out, then I would be concerned about the hydrological cycle, that is the movement of water between the sea, the air, and the land, causing further spread contamination. Can anyone say radioactive thunderstorms? I love the rain, but I think even I would get a brolly out for that one!

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Are people effin stupid?
ALL water eventually finds the ocean.....
The Tepco reactors have been cooled with huge amounts of seawater already a vast quantity is still used daily to keep the mess from going critical
Which it would do without the water being pumped...Fukishima is 100 yards from the ocean,,,,WHERE DO YOU think the water is going???
Either in the water table, or above it its going into the ocean.......

new topics

top topics

join