It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran Cutting Off The Internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Iran has announced that it intends to cut off Iranian citizens from the internet. The move comes in response to the rising numbers of Iranians who regularly use the internet, currently 2 million, and the desire by the mullahs to control the flow of information into the country. The authorities plan to lure citizens away from the current ISP�s to a new network, Shaare2, via special promotions and then shut down the ISP�s. Shaare2 will enable Iran to control internet content in a fashion reminiscent of China.

www.csmonitor.com
New laws covering "cyber crimes" were announced last week by the head of the judiciary, Ayatollah Mahmoud Shahrudi.

"Anyone who disseminates information aimed at disturbing the public mind through computer systems or telecommunications ... would be punished in accordance with the crime of disseminating lies," he declared.

At the same time, a judiciary spokesman said that people running unauthorized sites would soon be tried on charges including "acting against national security, disturbing the public mind, and insulting sanctities."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In the news today we hear all about the Iran Nuclear Crisis yet, we hardly hear anything concerning the oppression that takes place within the country. The Iranian bloggers, who initially brought attention to this via their blogs, are soon likely to be executed if they continue to show their dissent. With all this in mind one must beg the question, do the Iranian people want freedom? If the bloggers plea is any indication the Iranians who have had this small taste of freedom enjoy it and are willing to risk their lives to keep it. Hence, it will be interesting to see whether or not the Iranian people rise up if the government follows through with this plan.

Related News Links:
msnbc.msn.com
msnbc.msn.com
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
No ATS for Iran then....

This really isn't a suprise to me, next it will be TV or something

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This would be akin to an "I want my Mtv uprising"
I love it! Considering that the majority of people in Iran these days are in their 20's, and the majority of internet users are in their 20's, I think it is logical to assume that the majority of those in Iran are internet users.

And what is the most common use of the internet? Here it is Instant Messaging. I don't know if it is the same there. You would have to assume. Blocking Iranian users from using the common IM programs could cause a backlash.

Where am I going with this? I don't know, maybe ...
I want my ATS

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Also of interest is the actual bloggers website where you can see the pleas that actually spurred these news articles.

www.hoder.com...

[edit on 11-11-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Also of interest is the actual bloggers website where you can see the pleas that actually spurred these news articles.
www.hoder.com...
[edit on 11-11-2004 by BlackJackal]

Iran is good, but I want to hear blogs from Iraqis. It would be much more interesting, sad, depressing but overall, entertaining.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
phreak... I know you were mostly kidding, but your comment may not be far off the mark. The mass resignation in their parliment last month suggests that there is already a sizeable struggle taking place between the fundamentalists and the reformers. With each bit of news that leaves Iran, I'm doubting more and more that the U.S. or Israel will ever have to take military action against them. The change that we would like to see in that country may very well take place from the inside out (possibly with a little external help).

I agree that the Iranian youth probably want to catch up to the 21st century and be real players in the global community. Though this may appear to be a bad thing for the moment, it may turn out for the better. You oppress your people hard enough, long enough and you're only going to guarantee an eventual revolution.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Iran is good, but I want to hear blogs from Iraqis. It would be much more interesting, sad, depressing but overall, entertaining.

Why not see for yourself? While there are apparently still some problems regarding Iraq's Internet country code (what's up with that?), there are plenty of Iraqi bloggers speaking their minds online.

The Future of Iraq Portal has a goodly collection of suitable links. Check it out!

What you will find is that Iraqis, like everyone else in the world, have differing opinions and perspectives on things. What is new is that they can express them publicly without fear of being "Saddamized".

Be warned: your assumptions about what is really going on in Iraq may be threatened if you read what Iraqis actually have to say about it.

Suffice it to say that their blogs are rarely sad or depressing, but always interesting.

My personal favorite: Iraq the Model because it contains a lot of uncensored news from Iraq -- stuff the networks and wire services stubbornly refuse to report for political reasons.

It also pointedly refutes anti-U.S. and anti-Iraq propaganda, including that reported by the networks and wire services and falsely marketed as "news".

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Talk about restricting freedom. I guess this means we won't be hearing much more of Persian.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Iran is ruled by ultra conservative religious fundamentalists.

Just thought I�d point that out.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
Iran is ruled by ultra conservative religious fundamentalists.

Just thought I�d point that out.

Good thing America would never allow ultra conservative religious fundamentalists to grab a foothold in our government.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by cstyle226
Good thing America would never allow ultra conservative religious fundamentalists to grab a foothold in our government.

Considering the fact that voters seem to get stupider every year, you never know who could come to power.

link   

By cstyle226

Indeed. What a terrible thing that would be.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by kegs]

link   
maybe the US can go in and give the Iranians freedom now????

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Wow... I'm glad to be American instead of an iranian! That'd be tough...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Maybe Persian can give us some info before this happens.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I remember a similar crackdown on satellite dishes in Iran for the same reason - an attempt to control information.

From a 1999 BBC article:

In a meeting with Iranian publishers, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei came out firmly in support of the current ban, despite proposals from the moderate President Khatami's government for a relaxation of the rules.

Satellite TV was banned five years ago in Iran for everyone except some state and media offices, blamed by clerics for spreading "corrupt" Western culture.

Didn't work too well - people hid them on their rooftops. Tom Brokaw or Jennings did a piece on Iran shortly after 9/11. You could see satellite dishes on almost every roof some three years after the Ayatollah's edict. I think we will see the same thing happen again with the internet. People will find a way to be informed, seek knowledge or do it simply because someone told them they couldn't.

B.

edit: sp

[edit on 11/11/04 by Bleys]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78

Considering the fact that voters seem to get stupider every year, you never know who could come to power.

Well maybe since you feel that way,

The US is not to worried about invading Iran, it will implode and this is a perfect example! The Iranians want to be free yet the mullahs are fighting it. Seems no one is complaining about the "fair" elections last held in Iran are they? Hmm would they go to jail there? or Worse?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

At least we still have the freedom to post our thoughts unlike the freedom loving American opperessed people of Iran

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

At least we still have the freedom to post our thoughts unlike the freedom loving American opperessed people of Iran

Better enjoy it while it lasts.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

Originally posted by Simulacra

Why not see for yourself? While there are apparently still some problems regarding Iraq's Internet country code (what's up with that?), there are plenty of Iraqi bloggers speaking their minds online.

Oh well, now you are really going to be bashed away Majic........... don't you know nothing good is happening in Iraq?.......

BTW why would the Iranians want the U.S. to help them?....don't they know like many other nations in the world know that we are evil?....

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Muaddib]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join