It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Link between Trayvon Martin and the movie Broken City - Opinions Needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
First, a disclaimer:

This thread is not intended to rehash/debate anything to do with the Trayvon Martin case. The sole purpose of this thread is to outline the odd similarities between the movie "Broken City" and the death of Trayvon Martin.

SPOILER ALERT: I will be discussing parts of the movie, be advised.

Hello again ATS, It's been a while.

I have just recently watched the movie Broken City starring Mark Wahlberg Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Russell Crowe. What I saw in the beginning of the movie was strikingly similar to what dominated the news in February and March of 2012. Here is the trailer:

Ok so it opens with Mark holding a smoking gun and a young man with the same skin complexion as Trayvon Martin lying on the ground with a gunshot through the head. Mark then pulls out his police badge that was around his neck. This all takes place in New York City.

Here is what I found that rang bells:

1st - The person Mark shoots is wearing a gray hoodie and looks young, much younger than Mark.

2nd - The person Mark shoots name is Mikey Tavarez. Mikey-Martin Tavarez-Trayvon but the initials are MT instead of TM

3rd - People are standing outside the courthouse with posters and signs with pictures of Mikey Tavarez saying "Justice for Mikey Tavarez" in a protest.

4th - Mark gets off for the shooting on self-defense.

After seeing all this it reminded me of Trayvon Martin, and I thought surely since the movie was released in 2013 that they just used what happened to make a movie. After doing some research this is what I found, bear in mind Trayvon Martin was killed February 26, 2012.

In June 2011, Emmett/Furla Films began development of Broken City with an anticipated budget of $60 million. Allen Hughes was attached to direct.[6] By the following October, Regency Enterprises joined the project to co-finance with Emmett/Furla Films. Variety reported that Regency founder Arnon Milchan wanted to produce "edgier fare" like it previously did with the 1990s films Heat and L.A. Confidential.[7] This would be Hughes' first feature film directing effort without his twin brother Albert. (Allen also directed the TV movie Knights of the South Bronx (2005) and a few episodes of the American version of the TV series Touching Evil.[8]) Hughes said about working on his own, "The issue is learning that you're going to be in a room sometimes, and there's going to be eight guys assaulting you, creatively. Back in the day, when it was me and him, they could have had 15 people in the room, and they were all getting laid out." He met Tucker in 2010 at the Palm restaurant in West Hollywood, where he learned about the screenwriter's Broken City.[5]

With a production budget of $35 million,[9] shooting began in New York City in November 2011.[10] Filming also scheduled took place in the Carrollton neighborhood of New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana.[11]

So shooting for the film began 3 months before the Trayvon Martin shooting. Which means the script was probably written and completed well before then, as the actors have to memorize before filming.

I just found it odd and wanted to get some opinions/explanations about this. Has anyone else seen this movie and noticed the similarities? And what do you think about it.

Wikipedia - Broken City

N/A
edit on 19-8-2013 by NotApplicable because: left out detail

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Our brains are amazingly good at finding parallels, I think this is just coincidence. From the trailer, it doesn't seem like the movie focuses all that much on the teen getting killed, but I suppose I should watch the whole thing. I might watch it tonight and come back with more of an informed opinion.

The screenplay was purchased back in '08.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

This thread is not intended to rehash/debate anything to do with the Trayvon Martin case.

But thats exactly whats going to happen.. This issue was just starting to die down on here but you just couldnt let it go could you?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

You are correct, the movie isn't focused on that part. I tried to reveal as little as possible, because I don't care for spoilers

N/A

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

Do you have any real input? Not trying to be rude but I would like to know if you do.

I was never holding on to it in the first place in order to "let it go"

This thread if focused solely on the similarities.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

not to be rude , but - ` and the point is ? `

if you trawl through all the movies listed at the IMDB and all the news stories archived on google news - you will find parallel after parallel

but that's what happens when you compare 2 data sets with millions of entries each

but does it mean anything

unless you have any evidence that the travon martin case was somehow fabricated to " match " the film

then the answer is probably no

but I suspect that's not the answer you wanted , is it ?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Not looking for answers, just opinions. You've made yours quite clear. So much hostility here these days.

N/A

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
OP I think you are just fine posting this. It is possible to discuss the parallels between a movie and an event without going through all the Pro Zimmerman/Martin nonsense. No when I read the OP, I did think 'Good luck' but that isn't on you, that's on the people that choose to post here.

This is a new topic to me, and if it isn't to others than they can make a formal complaint via the ALERT button and link a thread where this has been discussed.

This is a conspiracy site, and other posters are allowed, and I believe should be encouraged, to post strange parallels they see.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
That was a truly terrible movie. Mark Wahlberg played a gopher and everyone else played a television actor. Did anyone watch that and not think it was total nonsense?

top topics

join