It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Important...What is Freedom ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'd like to have the freedom of getting my voice and my articles in a newspaper I'm an editor of without someone of a higher rank taking it out becaues its controversial.

The whole world is a controversy, quit sheilding the youth from it.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I can�t remember who said it but i think it�s a well-known saying "that man and woman will never be free until they learn the responsibility that goes with it".

I would like to choose whether to were a crash helmet or a seat belt. I would like to smoke without having people telling me how bad it is for me. If non-smokers don�t like it then they don�t have to be around me.

Take this stupid law there trying to bring in the UK BANNING smoking in pubs and clubs. This is a real taking of freedom. What they would be better of doing is simply allowing the bars and clubs to decide for themselves but to ban it out right is total arrogance, a total taking of people�s rights.

There is no real freedom.

Maybe out in the remote were law and government don�t matter, were they don�t care about, you can feel freedom, but within society there is none, only an illusion with which some like to believe.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Traditionally philosophers have distinguished two senses of the word "freedom".
1.) The most common use is "negative" and is defined as the absence of constraint. One is free when the law is silent.
2.) It is also used in another "positive" sense, defined as the ability to transcend the social and cultural restraints which limit the potential of the individual for self-actualization.

Right away it is obvious to see that like most all philisophical concepts it is something which is Defined by using Comparitive Duality. In this case, 'The absence of constraint' being in balance with 'The Ability to Transcend', which depending on which perspective you view it from is reliant upon the other.

In a Political sense it is often seen the distinction between, "Liberty & Security".

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Freedom like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Very wise Intrepid

In my opinion true freedom is anarchy, therefore not necessarily a good think but the freedom we do have is becomeing smaller and smaller. We have being fooled into believeing we are free.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode
I can�t remember who said it but i think it�s a well-known saying "that man and woman will never be free until they learn the responsibility that goes with it".

I would like to choose whether to were a crash helmet or a seat belt. I would like to smoke without having people telling me how bad it is for me. If non-smokers don�t like it then they don�t have to be around me.

Take this stupid law there trying to bring in the UK BANNING smoking in pubs and clubs. This is a real taking of freedom. What they would be better of doing is simply allowing the bars and clubs to decide for themselves but to ban it out right is total arrogance, a total taking of people�s rights.

There is no real freedom.

Maybe out in the remote were law and government don�t matter, were they don�t care about, you can feel freedom, but within society there is none, only an illusion with which some like to believe.

I tottally agree with you (I'm a smoker too hehehe)
I Mean, I just don't feel free because I feel like we are already in the big brother society....I get a ticket when I don't lock the door of my car?!?!?!
I have to work every dang dang day to get myself electricity, phone, a top above me, pay bills and what's left..nada hehehe
If I don't wanna work one whole month because I'm tired, I just can't! Is that freedom? If I don't pay my bills, I'll get in troubles...That is why I say money is a source of un-freedom, every little thing cost money! Then because of money there is crime, and what about GAS to put in our car, are dependent of it or not...u see the whole thing? Dependancy is resume to be not free
All the laws that you think are stupid, we have to deal with them, wheter we like it or not....

That is my opinion on freedom, we think we are free but we are not

To be really really free, we would have to start all over a brand new society on new bases

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I thought I saw freedom once
It was in the outback with the Australian Aboriginals. They were still hunter gatherers and lived entirely off the land.
They were still governed by community and belief systems for this reason they were not free.
I think the only freedom that can exist is a life of solitude in the middle of the never never

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
When I was young and into partying I had a recurring dream - a wolf came to me almost every night for months. We ran together over mountains, along rivers and into the plains. But I knew I was missing something. Then one day, the wolf said, "Real freedom is the ability to give up your freedom." Then he left and I never had the dream again.

...Now I think freedom means accepting responsibility consciously, and without coercion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join