It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh crap, birthday present time..Please help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
My sweet little girl turns 17 and I need to buy her a gift
there is a back story and sadly we are estranged, I made a few mistakes as a dad, stupidity and stupidity.

Being a dad didnt come natural and being a genuine open and emotional parent wasnt something I could understand or do.

Well my mistakes aside, anybody?? any ideas?
Quirky emo type girl, dont be rude

Nothing boring or mundane, I dont care about the cost, but the cheaper and more sincere the better, expensive sincere is good but not as genuine.

Any ideas, I am at a loss

Oh and she likes marvel comics WWE and LOTR stuff, yeah wwe can you believe it, just like her dad

edit on 17-8-2013 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
what kid does not like a new phone in black or be lazy and just give her a gift card and let her get what she wants
good luck

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Buy two diaries and fill in a week of your thoughts then give to her and tell her you two will pass the diaries back and forth for each other to read and write in about your days apart.

If that is too much sharing or too much of a burden, then just buy her a shirt, write "LIFE SUCKS" in big print and in small print write "but my dad loves me". You know, something funny yet personalized.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

Buy two diaries and fill in a week of your thoughts then give to her and tell her you two will pass the diaries back and forth for each other to read and write in about your days apart.

If that is too much sharing or too much of a burden, then just buy her a shirt, write "LIFE SUCKS" in big print and in small print write "but my dad loves me". You know, something funny yet personalized.

I love the diary idea, thats a peach

Is it to much for me to do??? Hell yeah but, gotta start somewhere I guess.
Thanks, thats a great idea
I am going to do that, thats not her gift, thats mine. Awesome, thanks alot.

Now a gift for her

Pity i cant flag a reply

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
what kid does not like a new phone in black or be lazy and just give her a gift card and let her get what she wants
good luck

Yeah and herein lies the problem
I havnt shown much emotional love as a dad, just given the kids what they asked for
Give a kid an expensive gift and you show them no intimacy

I want cheap and intimate, expensive and intimate is fine as well, just not overly flashy and obvious

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Money is always a winner with them at that age. But why not put it in a home made card. Then you have the best of both worlds

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
you said she likes marvel comics... maybe get her a retro t shirt? www.truffleshuffle.co.uk... that way she knows you've actually put thought into something she would like as well

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I think this handbag would be good. If shes 17 and likes marvel then she will love it.

Aw now I want it,

link
edit on 17-8-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I agree with TheDoctor , give her a birthday card with some cash in it and an inexpensive stuffed toy for her to keep as a reminder of you .
Girls love shopping so you'll be giving her what she wants

edit on 17-8-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
Money is always a winner with them at that age. But why not put it in a home made card. Then you have the best of both worlds

Is that a joke??
Seriously a home made card?
Seriously, a home made card, does that work?

I am not belittling, just asking

I just want beer and beef jerky for fathers day. I have gotten and will get so many home made cards they seem a little, well you know.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
i like lady t's idea, a handbag like that might just be a perfect idea

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

Originally posted by TheDoctor46

Is that a joke??
Seriously a home made card?
Seriously, a home made card, does that work?

I am not belittling, just asking

I just want beer and beef jerky for fathers day. I have gotten and will get so many home made cards they seem a little, well you know.

i always got my kids to make me home made cards, i loved them, and i still have every single one of them even though they're grown up now...

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Emo lotr ring?
www.ebay.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

How about some WWE jewelry...here is the link to the WWE super online store...

wrestlingsuperstore.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
1. A gift certificate for Etsy.com (so many cool things made by independent craftspeople, she'll find something she loves. Maybe look up emo or LOR etc ON Etsy, see what comes up, so you can give a gift you chose yourself. Or both, choose something & inc. a gift certif too! That is a great gift.

2. movie tickets for her & 3 friends

3. Does she drive? Take care of the car ins. for 3-6 mos (or fix whatever's wrong w/it) This is a "Dad" thing to do, and so nice to have a dad who does stuff like that

4. 17-yr olds like to get new clothes. Take her shopping, or arrange to have a friend of hers surprise her while out shopping with "Btw, yourawesome dad says Happy Birhday, have Fun Today, He Loves You" and give her a preloaded cash card. (If it's awkward to spend time together like that.)

4. Has she always wanted to play an instrument? Get her whatever instrument that is, & maybe collect a few good links to beginner lessons on youtube... then dont persist in asking How it's Going learning to play the _____.. My grandpa gave me a harmonica over 15 yrs ago which I cherish (but dont play).

It's your thinking of this in this way, that counts, & shows that Yes, you do have it in you, the dad. Everyone expresses things differently. Look here and forward, not back... No regrets, just improvement.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Well i would value a home made card which has effort involved, Than a bought one anyday

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

this.....i can't even come close. The diary idea is awesome.
edit on 17-8-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

In a perfect world, but really girls like stuff. Especially stuff they can show off. Materialistic by nature? Yep.

The trick is to find stuff they're treasure forever; and that is something we all want to know.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
I think this handbag would be good. If shes 17 and likes marvel then she will love it.

Aw now I want it,

link
edit on 17-8-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

That is so girly it might just be perfect

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Ok let's combine 2 ideas here

It the obvious thing to do ...................... Buy the 2 diaries , write down your thoughts for a week with suggestion that you could get to know each again by swapping the diaries on a regular basis even if she tells her mates it's lame I'm guessing inside she'll be elated

Buy the bag and place the dictionaries inside for her to find later

Looks like a win win situation to me

Just had another thunk

Also find a newspaper article and if possible the announcement of her birth online and print them off place them in one diary

In the other write a hand written letter explaining why you love her and what makes her so special to you even if it's for being so strong whilst you were estranged

ETA the thunk

Cody

edit on 17/8/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/8/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join