It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Man Commits Suicide, Leaves Behind Treasure Map To His Fortune

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
An Overland Park sports statistics writer and blogger shot himself early Thursday morning in front of the Overland Park Police station, but not before setting up a website suicide note online. Martin Manley's website details why he decided to kill himself along with information about his collection of gold and silver that he estimates to be worth about $200,000. Along with that information are coordinates that lead you to a trail at the Overland Park Arboretum. Dozens of people have flocked to the arboretum to find his treasure. Police are telling people that there is no treasure and that it is a hoax. The police are also reminding people that digging on city property is illegal.

News Story:
KCTV News Story

His Website (Look at Number 3 For Coordinates)
www.martinmanleylifeanddeath.com...

What do you think, Is it a hoax? Or is there really treasure out there.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by audioengineer

I really hope he stored his human waste in a spot for years, covering it up a week before committing suicide.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

The Police are probably calling it a hoax so they can keep all the treasure for themselves!!

Tragic the person took his life, at least he left behind quite a story.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I don't think it's a hoax. Everyone in Kansas with a metal detector will be out on the search.

$200K is worth the effort.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knives4eyes

I really hope he stored his human waste in a spot for years, covering it up a week before committing suicide.

That's pretty gross...

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Let's go hunting! Somebody near this area please start digging! And then share with ats members

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Fascinating story, couldn't help but feeling sad after reading his words. It almost feels like he talked himself into pursuing this route. He seems a bit too convincing.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well....that is sad. He killed himself on his birthday.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

You made life a lot easier and if there is anything I might do for you in the afterlife, I will.

So he killed himself for an imaginary afterlife.

Mysticism and religion made a man go insane and kill himself. ##snipped##
edit on Tue Sep 24 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

You made life a lot easier and if there is anything I might do for you in the afterlife, I will.

So he killed himself for an imaginary afterlife.

Mysticism and religion made a man go insane and kill himself. Another testament to why these mental viruses need to be eradicated.

Hopefully he wasn't catholic, either way it would be pretty cool if there was treasure.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I bet you his whole god damned treasure that the Police and the City are going to be out there in the dark digging with shovels to find his treasure, all the while telling the Citizens who pay them, that they aren't to touch it...

THIS WORLD MAKES ME SO MAD!@@@@!@!@

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

He mentioned a number of reasons, belief in a afterlife was not his motivation.

Way to take some poetic words of parting out of context to use them to promote your rather disconnected viewpoint.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Regardless of the treasure, the guy is curious. Been poking around on his website and his attitude strongly reminds me of Garrett Hardin so far in terms of rationale. www.garretthardinsociety.org...

Guy has a few sections on CT stuff to boot. Self identified high iq non-conformist and getting his $.02 in on a variety of subjects. So tawdry gold? Pssh, the website is more interesting.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
sorry, all i got from this was a giggle at "digging is illegal"

can you imagine that?

cop - "what the hell do you think you are doing boy? what you got there? is that what i think it is? HEY OFFICER DAVE GET BACK THIS GUYS GOT A HOLE AND A SHOVEL IN HIS HAND, CALL SWAT, GET CHOPPERS CALL EVERYONE" LOL

as to the actual article, i wonder if it is anything or not.

Death troll, best troll?
edit on 16-8-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I read this man's site earlier. I still don't understand his rationale. He's right in some regards - people die everyday, younger people. And he would only be here another day to maybe 30-40 years tops.

Although I did not know him, I was just a tad angry at him for doing this -- weird, right? Because he was alive, reasonably healthy, talented, living a decent life in terms of food, water, shelter, luxuries, freedom -- which most of the world can never enjoy. Seemed a bit cowardly too, thinking solely about some day becoming a burden.

Instead, he could have gone into a life of service -- giving up his "life" to help others find meaning in theirs. Or at least help feed a hungry child or teach someone to read and write or adopt a dog or something.

Okay, not my place to judge. His life, his decision, his choice, his right.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I don't know if it's a hoax or not, I just think it's really sad.

It seems like a cry for help that was shouted out too late for anyone to answer.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I don't know if it's a hoax or not, I just think it's really sad.

It seems like a cry for help that was shouted out too late for anyone to answer.

It's legit. Guy shot himself in the parking lot of the local police department moments after he called 911 to report his own suicide. Left a note with specific instructions on what to do, especially in terms of his organs as he was an organ donor and someone was on the list.

He was pretty darn clear that he wasn't depressed, hadn't lost any loved ones nor did he have health or legal issues. Reasonably fit guy. The gist that I got in his rationale for offing himself at 60 was that it was a nice even number, the bills and whatnot aligned just so, and that, because of his age, in a few years, things would change in terms of insurance and so on. Overall, expressed deep concerns about the national debt (he was a statistician and journalist) as well as concerns of being a part of that national debt once he reached retirement age. Talked about $124 trillion in social security, medicare, and etc that he didn't want to be a part of. Instead, stated that he wanted to give as much of his life and then end it before he ended up being a net negative as far as putting into the country and taking out.

In other words, he killed himself in lieu of becoming part of the national debt. So, to amend my prior post, Manley was a fiscal Garrett Hardin. Sorry that I can't provide links or quotes to those specific parts. Site is unavailable for me at this time. Overall, it was his choice and his convictions that lead him to do it.

P.S. Apparently, there is an increase in suicide among Baby Boomers so there's that, too. news.yahoo.com...
edit on 16/8/13 by WhiteAlice because: added ps

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Well that sucks... The site isnt working for me. I wanted to become touched/angered/etc at his departing words... Oh well. ill just take your words for it. Maybe someone had the site shut down so they could decipher the code and keep all the treasure... Certainly there must be some code, right?

It's too bad, this guy thought he was setting up some fun treasure hunt for the community... Instead the law came down and ruined it for everyone. No digging? What the heck?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

Yeah, site is still down. Thanks for noting that. Who knows why it was taken down. Could be simply flooded from visits (not likely since it's been consistently down). Request by family? Had lots of personal pictures and stories of family up there that they may not want (nothing bad but still kind of a privacy breach). Or a dangerous idea--avoiding copycat suicides among a generation whose suicide rates have increased by over 40%.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

I bet you his whole god damned treasure that the Police and the City are going to be out there in the dark digging with shovels to find his treasure, all the while telling the Citizens who pay them, that they aren't to touch it...

THIS WORLD MAKES ME SO MAD!@@@@!@!@

The offical story will be:

Cops dig for Jimmy Hoffa.....................AGAIN..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join