It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of Indian Men being Rapists

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I am god damn tired of people generalizing the entire Male community... Just because Rapes are being reported more in India does not mean... Rapes are common In India . We have 1.2 billion people and there are bound to be a few morons here and there....

en.wikipedia.org...

As per U.N rape statistics rapes in as per 2010 figures....

India

1.8 out of 100000 people

The United States of America...

27.3 out of 100000 people

United Kingdom(England and Wales)

28.8 out of 100000 people

Rape Conviction Rates

United Kingdom

The 2006-07 British Crime Survey reports that 1 in every 200 women suffered from rape in that period. It also showed that only 800 people were convicted of rape crimes that same year, meaning that less than 1 in every 100 reports of rape led to a conviction

United States

Only 16% of rapes and sexual assaults are reported to the police (Rape in America: A Report to the Nation. 1992 and United Nations Populations Fund, 2000a).[95][96] Factoring in unreported rapes, about 5% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail

India

Ill post an entire chart with each state having independent figures

and why am i quoting and comparing it to western states

two reasons

1. To disprove the fact that women in the west are treated any better.
2. To stop blaming everything on our culture, not everyone wants to become westernized( I don't have anything against your culture)
3. To disprove the fact that "Indian Men" are bad or "evil" or need "correcting"...sorry...we don't any need correcting..

I do not want to go around linking rapes cases in U.S and Britain and show that as an example of bad behavior of Men over there because i know issues like this cannot be generalized.....

We all have our social issues...so please lets just mind our own business than pointing fingers...

There is nothing wrong with India, there is nothing wrong with our men, there is nothing wrong with our culture... Caste system is the thing of the past which will die down by the next generation.. India has issues with criminals and rapists just like any other country..its that simple

edit on 13-8-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
If these stats are accurate, then I must admit, I've been brainwashed by western newspapers into believing rape is especially prevalent in India.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

You're lucky, mate, I wasn't even aware of that rumour until you mentioned it.

I assume you're posting from India? I'm canadian. They say the world is small - but I always get this dizzy feeling of vertigo when I think about its size, and all the potential, both the despair and the hopes, it holds.

edit on 13-8-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thank you sky.....am just quoting the wiki link....

This whole rape issue became a big news in western media after India kicked refused Wallmart entry ,refused patenting for life saving drugs for western companies and not to mention did not follow the line on Syria...though am just speculating here

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
From your source:

Rape in India is one of India's most common crimes against women.[49] Marital rape that occurs when spouses are living together can only be dealt under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act 2005 which only provides civil remedies to victims (it is a form of non-criminal domestic violence). Marital rape is not a criminal offense, except when spouses are separated. Rape cases in India have doubled between 1990 and 2008[50] Penile and non-penile penetration in bodily orifices of a woman by a man, without the consent of the woman, constitutes the offense of rape under the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2013.[51]

Sexual violence within marriage is common, with 20% of men admitting to forcing their wives or partners to have sex, in a survey by the Centre of Research on Women, US, and Instituto Promundon in Brazil.[52][53] In a 1999 news story, BBC reported, "Close-knit family life in India masks an alarming amount of sexual abuse of children and teenage girls by family members, a new report suggests. Delhi organisation RAHI said 76% of respondents to its survey had been abused when they were children - 40% of those by a family member."

Those are some staggering figures.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Yup.

1) take a news(usually bad) from another country.

2) assume it is common there

3) Generalize.

Examples.

Shooting massacres common in American,
Cars burning and Protest is everyday occurrence in middle east.

In reality things are not as bad as they seem.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

True that , its quite bad..but unfortunately its common all across the world

Nearly one in five women surveyed said they had been raped or had experienced an attempted rape at some point, and one in four reported having been beaten by an intimate partner. One in six women have been stalked, according to the report

My intent is not to make this a competition of some sorts or to win an argument or a mud slinging...but just to make a point we are not all that bad or evil ...

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

i bet 90% of those children "abuse" falls under getting their ass whooped for failing grades and breaking neighbors windows during a game of crickets.

Corporal punishment by parents still happens there.

"rape" between spouses happens everywhere, it depends on the spouse or rather how they view it.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by maddy21

True that , its quite bad..but unfortunately its common all across the world

www.nytimes.com...

Pointing at someone else's problem will do nothing to solve ones own. That is not progress, that status quo.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Children here are beaten,slapped ,whooped in schools and at home...
though i got none form home but got plenty from school .I still remember a few unfortunate moments

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Hm, Intrepid's got a point, you know.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

It also works the other way around. Nothing is gained by singling out one country while it happens everywhere.

No point in judging how other country is run while we still have issues to fix over here.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

of-course...as i said in my previous post..am not trying to divert the issue..my point is we are not all that bad..

But a lot of changes has been made in the system
fast track courts , round the clock police monitoring , harsher punishments for rapists ( death penalty for child rapists) its all coming into picture quiet soon... and not to mention...the children textbooks will have special subjects on gender equality and protecting women.....

The point of the thread is not to point fingers at others......I just want to tell people there is nothing specially bad about us.... I would be a fool to deny that rape is an issue ...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Right, right i forgot it happens in school as well, i was "privileged" to go to a private rich school when i was there. No beating there.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The original point made in the OP is that India has become known as the country where a lot of rapes happen. It has become known in this manner through A LOT of media coverage.

It was not known to me that rape is 27 times more common in the U.S. My view, formed by the media, was that rape was more common in India.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yes. But at the end, rapes happen in every bloody countries upon the face of the Earth. Even if India has less rapes than some other countries, there's still rapes there. It may not be as bad as the sensationalist news media say it is, but ethical values should be absolute, not relative.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by swanne
Yes. But at the end, rapes happen in every bloody countries upon the face of the Earth. Even if India has less rapes than some other countries, there's still rapes there. It may not be as bad as the sensationalist news media say it is, but ethical values should be absolute, not relative.

I am now concerned why India is being singled out as a rape-nation in the last few months, although its stats are significantly lower than so many other countries.

Im not sure what you are trying to say with this post....that we should continue to single out India?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The original point made in the OP is that India has become known as the country where a lot of rapes happen. It has become known in this manner through A LOT of media coverage.

That's true. A lot of attention right now.

It was not known to me that rape is 27 times more common in the U.S.

Not to bash my American brethren but I'm not surprised.

My view, formed by the media, was that rape was more common in India.

That still doesn't take away the fact that India is #2:

www.globalpost.com...

It is said that rape in the west is highly unreported. How much more so in India?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

That still doesn't take away the fact that India is #2:

It is said that rape in the west is highly unreported. How much more so in India?

Hmmm....ok....Ive adjusted my viewpoint once more.

It would seem that the rights of women are generally lower than here in the West.
edit on 13-8-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Pretty low...around 25-35% on the top of my head from seeing local news....i cant find any specified data....but that has drastically increased as of the past few months ...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join