It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Skills: 2013 World Yo-Yo Contest (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Had to share this because this guy's Yo-Yo skills are absolutely AMAZING.

The resort hotels, amusement parks, and shopping malls of Orlando, Florida’s International Drive are no strangers to quirky forms of entertainment, but it’s not often that a bunch of yo-yos can draw a crowd.

We were going crazy. Last year we had 140 or 150 entrants...this year we have 192
,” Cohen told Yahoo! Games.

It took eight hours to go through all the one-minute preliminaries. I may never have anyone volunteer to judge them again.”

Cohen’s weary group of judges whittled down that huge field to a mere 13 contestants from a diverse range of nations including the U.S., Mexico, Japan, Indonesia, and Canada. For the first time, the usually dominant U.S. and Japanese contingents failed to land any of the coveted top three slots.

Instead it was Hungarian competitor Janos Karancz, together with his Duncan Barracuda yo-yo, who came out on top, with a routine that yo-yo blogger Steve Brown described as “remarkably clean and terrifyingly difficult.” After watching the video, yeah, that pretty much nails it!

Read More

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Pretty clever use of kinetic physics... He must have a lot of spare time o his hands.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
Pretty clever use of kinetic physics... He must have a lot of spare time o his hands.
And not tangling up the string.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Yoyo'ing is one of my favorite hobbies. That guy is one of my inspirations, I've been hoping he'd win. He won Europe Yoyo Contest and Hungary Nationals too.

Surprisingly, it's way different than the typical yoyo people grew up with. When I tell my friends/peers they kind of look at me weird. I've spent thousands of dollars on yoyos. There's a huge collecting aspect to it too. Modern yoyo'ing is like nothing else.

I highly recommend it to anyone, it's awesome

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by introV

Lately I've been 'toying' (pun intended) with the idea of buying a yo-yo just for fun. Would you recommed any particular brands or types to get started?

When I was younger, I had a plastic one that was given to me as a gift...it was made with 3 killer bees cast into the clear plastic - it was called the Killer Bee.

However, my moves with it were certainly less-than-lethal.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
S & F to you. This brings back memories of when I was kid back in the days of the dinosaurs, and the Duncan Yo Yo man would come around to the local penny candy store and hold contests. Just knowing that there were penny candy stores that sold nothing but candy for a penny a handful would put your age as at least mid 60's or higher.

Now how many of you remember, from the same era, "top wars"? The idea was to have someone spin a small wooden top and then the rest of the gang would use heavy wooden tops with metal spike points to try to split the small top. Only the really experienced top spinners could hold the top with point up in their hands and get it to land point down when it reached the end of it's string and hit the ground; or if they were really good, split the target top.

new topics

top topics

join