It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowden's NSA Leaks, Hastings' Fiery Car Crash and BARRETT BROWN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Excellent new article:

Connections Between Michael Hastings, Edward Snowden and Barrett Brown—The War With the Security State

Former ATS member Archie tried to point us to this connection repeatedly starting with the day following Michael Hasting's disappearence: link

If you have the time I suggest reading the whole article - it is fascinating and important stuff.

...Brown and Hastings hadn’t been able to talk securely in eight or nine months, but that after a few months of back and forth with Brown’s lawyers Hastings finally planned on interviewing him in custody in June.

June 18 Michael Hastings disappears in a fiery car crash - so, just how important was this interview that was to take place in the remaining days of the same month?

In Hastings' own words: "get ready for your mind to be blown"

link
edit on 8-8-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
What are us citizens to do? Seriously. What is the plan to take back our country?

I am so sick of reading each successive story on the fascist country we are becoming.

Not your fault, of course.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MindBodySpiritComplex

I wonder if Hastings left any notes on the article he was working on.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Based on watching that interview with his wife where she said she believes he died in an "Accident" I'm not sure those will ever see the light of day if they exist.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Who knows...

Just a couple of days ago Hastings' wife Elise Jordan said on CNN:

"I have no doubt that he was pursuing a hot story. He always had at least five hot stories going. That was Michael," Hastings'

and

"There will be published his profile of John Brennan in an upcoming issue of Rolling Stone, uhm, probably in a couple of weeks"

more about that interview in this thread:

Rolling Stone To Publish Michael Hastings' Profile Of CIA Director John Brennan

I am working on a timeline of the Brown/Hastings collaboration to illustrate and get a better feeling of this scenario. Here are the first unedited morsels - will keep updating this thread with it - any input is welcome!

2009 Brown invited Hastings to join forces on ProjectPM (PPM)

2010 May Brown's new Book puplished with a Blurb by Hastings

Hot, Fat, and Clouded The Amazing and Amusing Failures of America's Chattering Class

2010 June 23 Brown article in Vanity Fair: Why the Hacks Hate Michael Hastings

2011 Jan 21 Brown tweets "Hastings will be on Bill Maher tonight to talk about Tunisia and technology and particularly OpTunisia."

2011 June 1 Hastings' new Book published with a Blurb by Brown

Barrett also blurbed Hastings’ second book, The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America’s War in Afghanistan, calling it, “The most impact-laden story of the year . . . written by a perfect specimen of the new breed of journalist-commentator.”
link

2011 Oct 10 Hastings tweets a link to Brown's article in the Guardian

A virtual secret state: the military-industrial complex 2.0 US reliance on private contractors is seeing a sinister focus on surveillance of citizens instead of defence against cyber attack

2012 March FBI raids Dallas home of Barrett Brown

2012 Apr 24 Hastings Exclusive on Buzzfeed:

FBI Escalates War On Anonymous - The Feds raid the home of unofficial Anonymous spokesperson Barrett Brown.

2012 Apr 24 Hastings tweets "Friends--the FBI raid on Barrett Brown is an important development in the Anonymous saga."

2012 Sep 9 Brown mentions Hastings in a tweet to Ron Brynaert

2013 Jan 24 Hastings tweets "i talk about barrett publicly whenever i'm asked about him or his case"

2013 Jan 24 Hastings tweets about his work on a Brown story “get ready for your mind to be blown.”

2013 Jun 18 Hastings is prevented by a fiery car crash from interviewing Brown

...Brown and Hastings hadn’t been able to talk securely in eight or nine months, but that after a few months of back and forth with Brown’s lawyers Hastings finally planned on interviewing him in custody in June.
link

This should be seen in context with this:

A CONDENSED Timeline of Hastings NSA Snowden Related Events (v.3.4)

May 20 - Hastings states on TV: "...government, 'we declare war on you...'

May 20 - Snowden arrives in Hong Kong with 4 laptops giving him access to top-classified US secrets

Jun 3-7 A Hastings associate was contacted sometime between June 3rd - 7th by at least 2 agents reportedly representing the FBI for information regarding Hastings' investigation of NSA related topics

Jun 5 - Greenwald breaks the NSA story in an exclusive on the Guardian

Jun 7 - Hastings LAST article: Why Democrats Love To Spy On Americans - LAST SENTENCE of this article is:

Perhaps more information will soon be forthcoming.

Jun 8 - "Intelligence officials overheard joking about how NSA leaker should be 'disappeared' after handing classified documents to press"

Jun 9 - Snowden is identified as the NSA-whistleblower behind Glenn Greenwald's story in the Guardian

Jun 12 - Hastings twitter feed goes silent

Jun 17 - Snowden: "Government is not going to be able to cover this up by jailing or murdering me. Truth is coming, and it cannot be stopped."

Jun 17 - Hastings mails a friend: "I'm on a big story, and need to go off the radar for a bit"

Jun 18 - Hastings contacted WikiLeaks lawyer Robinson, saying that the FBI was investigating him.

Jun 18 - Michael Hastings disappears in car accident

Jul 17 - Michael Hastings National Security Reporting Fellowship announced by Buzzfeed. A $100,000 Reward To Uncover Foul Play?

Here you can find v. 3.5 with pics & links

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
No matter what it is good for any light to be shown on BarrettBrown.
There is is some dirty pool going on there.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Jul 17 - Michael Hastings National Security Reporting Fellowship announced by Buzzfeed. A $100,000 Reward To Uncover Foul Play?

I find this one interesting. Nice to see people put their money where their mouth is. Once money is involved suddenly things become more real for everyone involved.

However,

Look at recent events in Toronto. A purported drug dealer tries to sell a video of the mayor █████████ ████, the newspapers won't pay $100k, and their lowest offer of $40k wasn't nearly enough, so they post the story without the actual contents of the phone (video). The Gawker picks it up, and suddenly a semi-international city becomes world-wide news overnight. The mayor with a █████ problem.

Then a fund pops up, raise over 100k for the holders of the video. They raise their price after seeing the money trickle in. Now it's 200k. Money talks and mayors walk. Actions> Words.

Okay, seems great. Uh oh.

The holders of the video go dark. Suddenly they don't want to sell anymore. (There are some actions in here we never heard about.)

Massive police sting operation, raids all over the city. The phone/video owners somehow end up in prison. (Coincidence?)
...But wait, that's not all
...Someone tries to stab the good fellow inside the prison.

Whoops...

So, money talks, but there is more money on the other side. Do I think someone would come forward for a measly 100k? Depends who. But once they realize how much poison are attached to those bills, they will be burning Benjamin's faster than a rap video.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Well, I spent 6+ hours falling down this rabbit hole last night, falling asleep face first in my keyboard, lol. And I was still logged in to ATS this morning, ack! (good morning NSA)

In all sincerity, MBSC, thanks for re-introducing me to this backstory. I had forgotten about Barrett Brown. The whowhatwhy site is terrific, and added to my favorites, as is the ProjectPM wiki.

This concerted attack on journalists and the Freedom of the Press clause of the 1st Amendment must be rebuffed, but trying to get my friends, family and neighbors to even see what is going on, nevermind act to change the tide, is challenging.

edit on 8/9/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Very interesting Dots trying to be connected. Just curious if Hastings had reached and agreement with Barrett Brown's attorneys to have an interview, then why has no other reporter done the same? If Brown had something to say that was of significance, it would make sense for some other reporter to do the same, and perhaps discover something important. It's just a curious question.

I also find it interesting that in the Snowden case, other than telling the world through the Guardian that the NSA's activities (which evidence of this type of snooping was going on for nearly 3 years earlier, plenty of stories out on the web to verify this), that Snowden has not come out with some 'mind blowing' information. I'm not downgrading his revelations, just again, a curious question, especially now that he has asylum in Russia, where and when will all this very secretive information be revealed?

I'm a skeptic, appreciate all of your research which I did weed through, but still not convinced. If people think Hastings was murdered (by the government or associates of the government), then why didn't they simply eliminate Brown as well?

Even in the tweets you posted Brynaert asked some basic and logical questions to Hastings that if he was working on a hot story, where is it? Hastings referred that he had been preoccupied by the election. Brynaert astutely replies that was about 3 months ago. So where are the souces, others that Hasting's must have researched and developed his "mind blowing' story? No notes, no sources, nothing but a cryptic tweet.

I think this trail is dead and the tragic death of Hastings was very unfortunate. Hope he wasn't texting while driving.
edit on 9-8-2013 by ItDepends because: grammatical correction

NOTE: I've also looked through various sources, but can find nowhere that anyone has come forward that they may have been the last person seen or had a face-to-face conversation with Hastings? Both Hastings wife and his brother are quoted as saying that they believe it was just a tragic accident.
edit on 9-8-2013 by ItDepends because: added comment

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Looking closer at Barret Brown's tweets is truely enlightening! Several tweets re Booz Allen (Snowden's last employer). Updating & renaming:

Updated Brown (B)/Hastings (H)/Snowden/Booz Allen Timeline

2009 B invited H to join forces on ProjectPM (PPM)

2010 May B's new Book puplished with Blurb by H Hot, Fat, and Clouded The Amazing and Amusing Failures of America's Chattering Class

2010 June 23 B article in Vanity Fair: Why the Hacks Hate Michael Hastings

2011 Jan 21 B tweets H will be on Bill Maher tonight to talk about Tunisia and technology and particularly OpTunisia

2011 Mar 11 B tweets link to article re Booz Allen “The WikiLeaks Threat” and Other Tales from the Dark Side

2011 Mar 13 B tweets Called up Booz Allen Hamilton VP this morning to ask why he was interested in #Anonymous

2011 Mar 15 B tweets Anonymous is at war with Booz Allen Hamilton for using dangerous technologies. Are you?

2011 Apr 30 B tweets William Wansley of Booz Allen Hamilton claims "no dealings at all" with HBGary despite proof to the contrary This video is unavailable.

2011 June 1 H's new Book published with a Blurb by B link

2011 Oct 10 H tweets a link to B's Guardian article A virtual secret state: the military-industrial complex 2.0 US reliance on private contractors is seeing a sinister focus on surveillance of citizens instead of defence against cyber attack

2011 Dec 27 B tweetsBooz Allen Hamilton, HBGary, Palantir, Endgame Systems, Berico, DoJ all picked this fight with us Team Themis

2012 Jan 11 B tweets H is at his best when on the attack The Legend of David Petraeus

2012 March FBI raids Dallas home of B

2012 Apr 24 H Exclusive on Buzzfeed: FBI Escalates War On Anonymous - The Feds raid the home of unofficial Anonymous spokesperson Barrett Brown.

2012 Apr 24 H tweets Friends--the FBI raid on B is an important development in the Anonymous saga

2012 Sep 8 B tweets And then U.S. can explain why ex-employees of Booz Allen Hamilton are so #ing scared of what their employer does in secret

2012 Sep 9 B mentions H in tweet to Ron Brynaert again here

2012 Sep 12 B tweets Hint: Hughes Aircraft, 1996, Raytheon, Pixar, Booz, my Sony Netbook, Whitekidney, Baas, Topiary, OpNoPro, LOL #CIA

2012 Sep 12 B's last tweets

2013 Jan 24 H tweets i talk about B publicly whenever i'm asked about him or his case

2013 Jan 24 H tweets about his work on a B story “get ready for your mind to be blown.”

2013 Jun 18 H is prevented by a fiery car crash from interviewing B

...B and H hadn’t been able to talk securely in eight or nine months... ...after a few months of back and forth with B’s lawyers H finally planned on interviewing him in custody in June.
link

top topics

join