It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Using Housing Department to Compel Diversity in Neighborhoods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
"Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing."

Obama administration using housing department to compel diversity in neighborhoods

In a move some claim is tantamount to social engineering, the Department of Housing and Urban Development is imposing a new rule that would allow the feds to track diversity in America’s neighborhoods and then push policies to change those it deems discriminatory.

The policy is called, "Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing." It will require HUD to gather data on segregation and discrimination in every single neighborhood and try to remedy it. HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan unveiled the federal rule at the NAACP convention in July.

Sounds a lot like 'Affirmative Action' infecting housing.

HUD Issues Proposed Rule for Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing

- Requirement that jurisdictions and public housing agencies that administer HOME, CDBG, ESG, HOPWA, or public housing (Section 8 or 9) funds develop an Assessment of Fair Housing (AFH). The AFH replaces the AI. Public housing authorities may create their own AFH or may participate in their local government’s development of one. For housing authorities covered by state agencies, the housing authority will be bound by the state AFH and may participate in its development.

- Revision of the annual PHA Plan to require more discussion in PHA policies of the steps that will be taken by the housing authority to further fair housing.

- Provision of fair housing data by HUD to program participants to facilitate planning. The data is intended to assist with the AFH and addressing fair housing issues. It will address issues including patterns of integration and segregation, racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty, discrimination, persons with disabilities, and access to employment, transportation, education, and other factors that may assist with fair housing choice.

- Inclusion of multiple definitions of terms, including a new definition for “affirmatively furthering fair housing.”

Remember when ACORN lawyer Obama forced banks to give out loans to minorities that the banks knew couldn't be repaid. Those loans predictably failed and Obama's actions helped create the housing bubble crisis. Looks like Obama is up to it again using different tactics.

From the HUD site

some examples of ways to carry out these requirements include:

Establishing fair housing enforcement organizations in areas where there are no such organizations;

For public housing agencies, starting a counseling program to help housing choice voucher recipients to find housing outside of minority and/or poverty concentrated areas;

Outreach to housing providers in non-minority and poverty concentrated areas;

Marketing available housing to persons less likely to apply for housing in a metropolitan statistical area;

Encouraging banks and other lending organizations to operate in areas that are underserved and to provide services to underserved populations; and

Encouraging banks and other lenders to use non-traditional methods for evaluating credit and loan amount terms, based on cultural differences and other individual factors .

HUD says not to discriminate in housing or services directly or indirectly on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, familial status, or disability. So isn't compelling diversity in neighborhoods really social engineering based on race, color, and culture?? So doesn't that go against what HUD supposedly stands for? And what about the changes in voting blocks? It's possible that this is voting block engineering as well.

New HUD Rule Will Collect Detailed Info on Racial Makeup Of Communities

The only thing that's clear is the federal government's interest in actively influencing the ethnic makeup of local communities. Sure, this is labeled as data collection, but its stated purpose is "to refine existing [housing] requirements." The rule says it "does not mandate specific outcomes," but we all know what tends to happen when federal agencies publish "guidelines" for state and local governments -- de jure guidelines become de facto mandates. With federal funds as the carrot and threats to withold said funds as the stick, federal agencies skirt 10th amendment limits on their authority by making requirements that are technically optional but politically impossible to reject. No Child Left Behind's education requirements for state governments are the epitome of federal overreach disguised as optional guidlines.

The fog of social engineering lurks subtly behind these new regulations. "Data collection" could turn into a weapon the federal government uses to try to alter community demographics. We can improve living conditions for low-income minorities by providing them with a decent education and creating economic conditions in which they can find jobs -- these HUD regulations accomplish neither.

Bet You Didn't Know you Live in a Racist Community

HUD is developing a national diversity data map that looks at every community in the country -- town by town, street by street -- seeking "exclusionary zoning" and what it calls impediments to "fair housing." It's searching for census blocks -- often no more than a street or two -- where the African-American population is 3 percent or less and the Latino population is 7 percent or less. Once it finds those, it wants to use financial leverage to change local zoning laws that prohibit large apartment complexes and other multifamily building types. In other words, it wants to force large apartment complexes into America's most expensive neighborhoods. ..

Where most people see expensive neighborhoods, HUD sees racism. Its housing monitor in Westchester this week declared seven municipalities in violation of "exclusionary zoning" and it will now try to force Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino, a client of mine, to sue those municipalities to dissolve their centuries-old zoning laws. Westchester may be the fourth most diverse county in New York State -- it's tied with Manhattan -- but that doesn't matter to HUD. There are individual neighborhoods that don't meet HUD's prescribed racial cocktail.

edit on 8/8/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Oh .. and before someone gets on here and starts screaming 'racist' or that I'm afraid of dark people ... don't bother. That's not true and you have no idea what the racial makeup of my family is. So don't even go there ... .

This is about the government socially engineering.

It reminds me of the forced busing in schools that happened in the 1970s.
And that didn't go so well ...

Harvard Crimson - The Failure of Busing

The Washington Times - the Failure of Forced Busing - A Bitter Lesson.

History Link - Failure of Forced Busing

etc etc etc

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Divisionary tactics.

Purchasing a home is buying private property. If a disproportionate category were buying iPhones or a certain brand of laptop, and the government stepped in to equalise the buyers based on specific criteria, would that be accepted?

I think not.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I was just reading this story....this is about the worst idea I have heard in a long time. So if a neighborhood is not racially diverse enough what exactly can they do about it? Are they going to go out and seek other races with the same income level and transplant them into that neighborhood? What if the one they plan to transplant don't want to go? Are they going to just transplant anyone? Hell...I want in on it if they will transplant white people.....I want in on a neighborhood where all the basketball stars live...oh wait....that would be racist. So when are they going to start giving Hondurans a chance in the NBA....kinda racially dominated by one color there......

What a retarded idea.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Because shipping kids around to different schools in the name of "diversity" worked so well, right? America's schools have never been better.

Wont be long before neighborhoods and towns and states have racial and economic quotas.

Sorry, but New Jersey has too many black people. Maine will take you in.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Why cant they understand that people will live where they want to live.
Its not always about race, its also about culture.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Wait... did you just write that Obama forced the banks to give out those loans??? Seriously?

I thought this was America. Where people were free to live anywhere - including those "more diverse" people. So you're saying that's wrong? They don't have a right to live in a big apartment complex that is built in a rich neighborhood? You're saying that the rich people have a right to force them out of their neighborhoods? Well, I guess that's not racist - more snooty than racist. We don't want to bring those property values down, do we?

What if the rich neighborhood is closer to where these "more diverse" people work? What if some of these "more diverse" people want to live in a nicer neighborhood? What if they're not "forcing" them to, but actually "allowing" them to? Is that wrong?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
So if a neighborhood is not racially diverse enough what exactly can they do about it? .

FROM THE HUD SITE -

From the HUD site

Encouraging banks and other lenders to use non-traditional methods for evaluating credit and loan amount terms, based on cultural differences and other individual factors .

Pushing banks to use 'non traditional methods for evaluating credit'. So what the heck is that? Take into account income from drug deals or something??

'Evaluating loan amount and terms based on cultural differences and other individual factors'. Translation ... if they are black, give them a loan.

When OBAMA was an ACORN lawyer, they forced banks to make bad loans. Loans that the banks knew would be impossible for them to be repaid. Read here . So Obama has a history of forcing banks to give minorities money, that can't possibly be paid back, in order for them to buy housing.

So .. given the new wording and Obama's history, the answer to your question - what can they do about it - is that the Obama administration will, once again, force banks to give bad loans. This will, once again, create another housing crisis. Obama didn't learn from the first one. I don't think he gives a rats backend. He just wants that free money given to minorities ... IMHO

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
Wait... did you just write that Obama forced the banks to give out those loans??? Seriously?

Seriously. When Obama was a lawyer with ACORN, Obama SUED CITIBANK and forced it to give out bad loans to minorities. The banks knew that these loans wouldn't ever be paid back. But ACORN lawyer Obama forced the bad loans. This contributed to the housing crisis.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Pushing banks to use 'non traditional methods for evaluating credit'. So what the heck is that? Take into account income from drug deals or something??

It's an encouragement of the same sort of unqualified and reckless lending that created the housing bust we just went through and are barely beginning to recover from.

Looks like we'll get to go through it all over again in a decade or so.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
There shouldn't be anyone trying to force diversity, unless you can find examples of people trying to acquire homes in non diverse neighborhoods are being discriminated against because they aren't like the majority in that area. Now if this was about stomping out that I have no problem with it, because people who have everything together and want to purchase a home should not be denied to live where they want to live due to ethnicity or skin color. This is not the 1930s.

However...this is stupid.

edit on 8-8-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
There goes the neighborhood.
Don't get your panties in a wad. If you read that as being a racist statement, you're the racist by applying that one sided meaning to it. What I'm saying is absolutely true. It doesn't matter what your race is, when you have a neighborhood that works, you don't want someone of a completely different social structure moving in.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Say it with me "I love Big Government".

1984, we are almost there.

link   

I look at this as an end run around county/city/town zoning laws. There are towns close to me that require you to own at a minimum of five acres before you can build a residence on them. I’m not a fan of McMansions, but if they can afford it, I’m cool with that.

All this will do is bring down property values. Taxes won’t be lowered but rather raised as new people and families move into the area due to the infrastructure being expanded.

The town I lived in fought against a developer who was trying to bring in Section 8 housing and amazingly won the case.

HUD is doing nothing more than trying to bring Section 8 housing to the rest of the U.S.

link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
There shouldn't be anyone trying to force diversity, unless you can find examples of people trying to acquire homes in non diverse neighborhoods are being discriminated against because they aren't like the majority in that area.

That's a whole separate issue. That's discrimination in housing. There are laws against that.

THIS is about forcing diversity. It's about the government tracking racial data for neighborhoods and, if the statistics aren't what they want for 'diversity', they will 'encourage' (strong arm) banks to give minorities money in order to get them into the neighborhoods that the government wants. (even if those minorities can't afford to keep up the property in that neighborhood or can't afford house payments) It's cultural engineering. And it'll lead to disaster like the recent housing crisis. It'll fail like forced busing.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
HUD is doing nothing more than trying to bring Section 8 housing to the rest of the U.S.

And it will sink property values for the rest of the country. And this will take away wealth from middle class America. Taking away wealth from middle class America is Obama's way of 'spreading the wealth'. But I"m sure that the uber-rich .. like those in Congress .. will get their neighborhoods exempt from having Section 8 Apartments stuffed in their 'hoods' ... .:shk:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Seriously. When Obama was a lawyer with ACORN, Obama SUED CITIBANK and forced it to give out bad loans to minorities. The banks knew that these loans wouldn't ever be paid back. But ACORN lawyer Obama forced the bad loans. This contributed to the housing crisis.

Can you provide proof of that? Everything that I've read says that Obama represented ACORN once (with a team of other lawyers), and that was regarding rights to register to vote when getting a drivers license.

Obama and two other attorneys represented ACORN in a 1995 federal civil lawsuit against the state of Illinois — Gov. James Edgar and other state officials were the named defendants — to demand that it enforce a new federal law known as "motor voter," which allowed people to register to vote when they got their drivers' licenses. There were five other named plaintiffs in the case, but ACORN was the lead plaintiff. Among the groups that sided with ACORN in the matter: the U.S. Department of Justice and the League of Women Voters. The courts concluded that Illinois had to enforce the law, and the case generated several federal court orders through 1995 and 1996.

www.politifact.com...

ETA: Oh, I just now saw your link in another post. Need to look over that before I comment.
edit on 8-8-2013 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
does this mean that they will use this in ways like bringing in whites, blacks, japanese, jews etc into places like "china towns". "little italiy's", little poland's and the like? including things like "breaks on loans" and such to achieve it for ALL peoples of differing ethnicity in ALL "ethnic" areas? or even to get "poor" people to live in "rich" neighborhoods? or is this all about putting so called "minorities" into areas considered "white" areas?
somehow i suspect it is aimed at the later.

people should be free to live where they want, even in little communities made up of people from "back home" if they so wish. the very fact that they call for things like "Encouraging banks and other lenders to use non-traditional methods for evaluating credit and loan amount terms, based on cultural differences and other individual factors ." is OF IT'S self RACISM. everyone should have a level playing field, regardless of who they are and where they wish to live.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by wirefly
There goes the neighborhood.
Don't get your panties in a wad. If you read that as being a racist statement, you're the racist by applying that one sided meaning to it. What I'm saying is absolutely true. It doesn't matter what your race is, when you have a neighborhood that works, you don't want someone of a completely different social structure moving in.

My neighborhood is very diverse. We have a high percentage of east Indians, Koreans, Chinese, etc. I love the diversity - not to mention we've got some fantastic ethnic food restaurants in our neighborhood.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

And it will sink property values for the rest of the country. And this will take away wealth from middle class America. Taking away wealth from middle class America is Obama's way of 'spreading the wealth'. But I"m sure that the uber-rich .. like those in Congress .. will get their neighborhoods exempt from having Section 8 Apartments stuffed in their 'hoods' ... .:shk:

What wealth does Middle Class America have left? This populace has been pillaged beyond belief.

BTW...as an fyi to all...Section 8 HUD housing isn't strictly a minority thing. There are several white Americans that partake in the program as well.

FYI.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join