It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins Can Recognize Whistles From Old Tank Mates From Over 20 years Ago, Study Finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hi peeps...

It seems once again the wondrous marine creature the dolphin is impressing us with their incredible minds..

Dolphins have long impressed people with their sharp minds and humanlike traits, such as calling each other by name, goofing off and even understanding numbers. Now a scientist has found that the mammals can recognize an old friend’s whistle, even after they have been apart for 20 years — the longest social memory ever recorded for a non-human.

In a study released Tuesday, dolphins largely ignored calls from unfamiliar dolphins but responded when an old tank mate’s signature whistle was played back to them. It didn’t matter how much time had passed since the two had last seen each other or whether they had been tank mates for only a few months: The dolphins appeared to remember a familiar whistle.

www.washingtonpost.com... -11e2-bd97-676ec24f1f3f_story.html

Study : ~
rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org...

Kai was one of the dolphins in the study, he was 16 years old when this picture was taken

I really believe that dolphins are one of Mother Earth's finest creation of art and wonder. Seemingly from all the studies done, dolphins have a truly incredible and self aware mind. Intelligent beings who will no doubt amaze us even further with more studies. I wonder if they are studying us too..!

It is horrible to even think so many of these creatures are either stuck in a tank, being caught fatally by nets, drowning from swallowing plastic things and other atrocities. They really should be free. And with them being so intelligent does make you think if they know we are doing them harm..

Anyways just thought I would share another incredible feat of the playful dolphin..

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Reminds me of the lions who was released back into the wild who when the people who looked after them visited many years later the lions hugged the people rather than attacking...animals aint as stupid as we sometimes make them out to be

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Star for you my friend .. As a diver I love marine life .. Even if it does try and kill me. One thing I want to do is go swimming with dolphins such lovely intelligent creatures

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Here is some interesting additional reading for those following along:

Cetacean Intelligence

The Wiki seems rather limited and doesn't really explain much.

But what do we expect? We are a species who doesn't even understand our own mind/brain much less have any ability to "understand" the brains of creatures comparable to ourselves.

Anyways, cool post OP, thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Reminds me of the lions who was released back into the wild who when the people who looked after them visited many years later the lions hugged the people rather than attacking...animals aint as stupid as we sometimes make them out to be

When animals attack us is it mainly because we are belligerent idiots and fail to recognize or appreciate their local customs and traditions (such as territorial claims).

So in a sense, we are "entering their house uninvited".

What do we humans do when some animal comes up into our house uninvited?
Bad things...bad things I tell you!

top topics

join