It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From hiccups to headaches; an odd question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I am not sure I am in the right forum, but the question has been bugging me for some time.

Headaches to hiccups. I always get odd looks when I end the latter, and even stranger ones when I tell people I don't need any headache medicine but to just give me five minutes. Both were among a small list of things I managed to gain control over when I was very young (first being my dreams), and I never considered it to be peculiar.

But that isn't a part of my question. I am more curious if any other folks have developed tricks and or have further tips for expanding upon this subject, as I am not entirely sure what it falls under, or where to begin.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wisescarab

Im not sure exactly what you're asking here...

Are you looking for cures for them?

I can't cure a headache... but I know a cure for hiccups...

Drink a glass of water from the opposite side you normally would... Works every time

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Ahh no, I mean I am able to get rid of my hiccups by willing them away. I am able to do the same with headaches, and many other things. I was just curious as to where to go from there, more or less. As these are things I learned to do when I was very young, and just haven't expanded upon them. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for I suppose, mind over body matters.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wisescarab

You might find some answers and/or leads by looking into Raja Yoga, the Eastern version of the science of the mind. The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali are good, and some translations and commentaries are better than others. Basically, it's the practice of awakening the potential of the higher mind, which then understands and gains control of the lower mind (conscious thoughts), emotions and reactions, as well as of the physical body. Western science has proven the placebo effect regarding many kinds of physical ailments, so we do have that power within us somewhere.

I can usually cure my hiccups too. I think it's a combination of concentration (or "will" as you said) and conscious breathing.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DreamingsFree

Hey! Thanks for the pointer, I will take a look at it. It is something I've been meaning to look into for some time, but for one reason or another I never really got going, so to say.

top topics

join