It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a Prehistoric, 60-Foot Shark Still Exist?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
There where so many animals which went huge in size like the Irish elk, giant sloths you name it.
For some reason(s) they mostly went huge in size (together).

I don't think they are alive, I do believe they could reappear.
How I'm not sure, but it's basicly the same in looks as the great white just smaller, who knows it could grow in huge sizes again in the future when the climates changes? We just give it a new name probaly or the old name: Megalodon.
edit on 5-8-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DPrice

Thank heavens for your comment I am sitting laughing my head off and will happily go into the sea and rivers again.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I'm watching the Discovery Channel show right now, and decided to do a little research on this Megalodon, and found these just before finding your thread!

In the year 1918 I recorded the sensation that had been caused among the "outside" crayfish men at Port Stephens, when, for several days, they refused to go to sea to their regular fishing grounds in the vicinity of Broughton Island. The men had been at work on the fishing grounds---which lie in deep water---when an immense shark of almost unbelievable proportions put in an appearance, lifting pot after pot containing many crayfishes, and taking, as the men said, "pots, mooring lines and all".

These crayfish pots, it should be mentioned, were about 3 feet 6 inches [1.06 m] in diameter and frequently contained from two to three dozen good-sized crayfish each weighing several pounds. The men were all unanimous that this shark was something the like of which they had never dreamed of. In company with the local Fisheries Inspector I questioned many of the men very closely and they all agreed as to the gigantic stature of the beast. But the lengths they gave were, on the whole, absurd. I mention them, however, as a indication of the state of mind which this unusual giant had thrown them into. And bear in mind that these were men who were used to the sea and all sorts of weather, and all sorts of sharks as well. On

e of the crew said the shark was "three hundred feet [90 m] long at least"! Others said it was as long as the wharf on which we stood---about 115 feet [35 m]! They affirmed that the water "boiled" over a large space when the fish swam past. They were all familiar with whales, which they had often seen passing at sea, but this was a vast shark. They had seen its terrible head which was "at least as long as the roof on the wharf shed at Nelson's Bay." Impossible, of course! But these were prosaic and rather stolid men, not given to 'fish stories' nor even to talking about their catches. Further, they knew that the person they were talking to (myself) had heard all the fish stories years before!

One of the things that impressed me was that they all agreed as to the ghostly whitish color of the vast fish. The local Fisheries Inspector of the time, Mr Paton, agreed with me that it must have been something really gigantic to put these experienced men into such a state of fear and panic.

The second sighting took place in 1933, again off the coast of Rangiroa. Aboard the S.S. Manganui, Grey and his son Loren were returning to San Francisco after a fishing trip to Tahiti. One evening at about 5:00 p.m., Loren was at the rail when he saw a small flock of spiralling sea gulls and, near by, an area of yellow water (5): At first I thought it was a whale, but when the great brown tail rose in the ship’s wake as the fish moved ponderously away from the liner, I knew immediately that it was a monstrous shark. The huge round head appeared to be at least 10 to 12 feet across if not more ... It was my belief that this huge, yellowish, barnacled creature must have been at least 40 or 50 feet long. He was not a whale shark: the whale shark has a distinctive white purplish green appearance with large brown spots and much narrower head. So what was he---perhaps a true prehistoric monster of the deep? What we had seen was something [that] no ichthyologist had ever dreamed existed. The largest known specimen of this type of shark, generally known as a sand shark or black-tipped shark, had hardly been known to exceed a length of about 15 feet

web.ncf.ca...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

My only thought after watching the doc on Megalodon was if this thing has to eat tons of food everyday I would think there would be carnage from its kills every where.

It would seem the logical thing to do to find such a beast would be follow the whales, there the only food source in the ocean that allow this shark to gets its fill of what it needs to stay alive................of course if it stays at extreme depths then maybe down there the food source's are more plentiful and it only comes up to area's like Hawaii to snack on delicacies.
sorry, couldn't resist after reading the post by the diver.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I haven't seen this show yet, but have watched plenty of other Megalodon docs. They all agree that it's definitely extinct. It wouldn't even be safe to go out to sea in ships if it was still around.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Yes it COULD exist... just like bigfoot and the giant squid. But with really no credible evidence it seems quite unlikely.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
We know more about the moon than about Ocean, so it's possible that Megalodon still exists.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join