It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sniper triangulation system.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Blah, Blah, Blah! A snioper does this, a sniper does that!

Professional snipers in the armed forces throughout the world are trained to stalk, find, identify, watch for and when the opportunity presents itself, kill their target or targets.

They are trained to blend naturally within their environment and when releasing their shot, most [if not all] do not usually give themselves away.

Insurgents on the other hand - especially in Iraq, are usually a collection of rag-tag wannabees who others use as cannon fodder, for their own ends.

Sure there are probably the odd skilled shooter amongst them, but most of the insurgents use the AK 47 or AK 74 and with such a weapon, its hardly capable of one round one kill.

Getting back to the thread of the post, this is in fact nothing new. I am pretty sure that older members and ex squaddies who served in NI could verify that we used something similar to locate the PIRA gunman who used to shoot from across the border with the Barrett Light 50.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

`2 real snipers that stayed put`

they didnt have any choice since they were surrounded by an army and rapid rescue was apparantly on the way.

not exactly the same - you can`t lie low and stay quiet when your the only white man in a country of black men and women can you?

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I remembered this thread from the other day and just accidentally stumbled upon something for the OP to read about.

The device you are thinking of is the PDCue from AAI Systems, a subsidiary (or at least it seems to) of Textron.

PDCue stands for Projectile Detection and Cueing.

According to the ad I see, the manufacturer's website is aaicorp.com.

I have not looked it up online, good luck.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
There are some "triangulation" systems in development and may be in the trials stage with a certain army at present. It works on a number mikes that detect the changes in air pressures as the rounds pass at different points. Using some type of technical jiggery-pokery that I don't understand in the slightest a calculation is made regarding the distance and direction of shot. This gives an approximate firing point that is then engaged automatically by a burst from a gpmg on a designated robotic mount.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
A sniper can take upto 2 hours and more to locate a target.
Once the round is fired, they are gone. they dont stay around for an hour to let the enemy locate them.

yes sir one shot, one kill, relocate.
it would be crazy for a sniper to stick around for hours even with a silenced rifle.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by miguelbmx
yes sir one shot, one kill, relocate.
it would be crazy for a sniper to stick around for hours even with a silenced rifle.

The triangulation system in current trials will respond to the first shot within 2-4 seconds. Even if the initial 20 round burst from the gimpy misses, the tracer allows the rest of the unit to get an approx area for the firing position, letting them call in counter snipers, machine guns or indirect fire assets to wipe the grid square off the map.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by PaddyInf

that's bad news for snipers good news for our troops, i say bad news for snipers because what happens if one of systems gets into enemy hands?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by miguelbmx
i say bad news for snipers because what happens if one of systems gets into enemy hands?

If that attitude was used for equipment then we'd deploy nothing useful. Kit is issued and developed for a reason. It's up to local commanders and individual users to ensure that it's secured.

Any way, this weapon would be of limited use by mobile insurgents with no fixed positions. This kit takes time to set up and is designed to defend fixed or semi-fixed positions from direct fire threats. Even if it was vehicle mounted there will still be a threat from snipers against dismounted troops on patrol/VCPs etc.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
An effective, combat proven counter-sniper system is already in the field and being used by US armed forces:

BOOMERANG Counter Sniper System

Futureweapons featuring BOOMERANG

BOOMERANG has been proven to be so successful that it is being integrated with vehicle mounted weapon systems for automatic target cueing and counterfire. Also, new research is being conducted for a man-portable version for integration in the "Land Warrior System", as well as a helicopter mounted version being referred to as "HELORANG".

top topics

<< 1   >>

join